Menu

Easing the transition to a state high school.

For those who had a child choose to go to a bricks and mortar high school, what did you do or what would you advise someone to do to help ease the transition? Or to enjoy the last year at home more?

My oldest has been very firm in his decision to go to our local UTC, a technical high school, from Year 10 (earliest entry) for a few years now. That's now just over a year away for him - September 2019 - and I'm currently trying to plan out the next year for us. I'm in my typical overthinking it all mode :biggrin:

One of my kids played football so he already knew people before the first day since they start practice over the summer. 

My other starts this coming year so we have really had to work to find where she could get to know people ahead of time, for her it looks like it is going to be the band. 

Dont know if you tech school has summer activities,but might help. 

Acedemically our school is so bad, they have no trouble adjusting to the school work, which is good they have enough social things to learn. Like how to not try so hard?

I've not been in that situation, but I didn't want you to not have responses (  (:P  ), so from the perspective that I've graduated both DSs and I'm done/looking back, here's what I'm thinking:

- yes! take time to enjoy this last year together
that will help YOU transition as well, it will build memories together, and it will give DS a last year to explore an interest or do something that he might not have time for once he goes to school -- take a big family trip! let DS build a boat! do family read-alouds of books you want to be sure to have time to share with DS!

- relationally
if you aren't already doing this, schedule a regular/weekly one-on-one time and family time for just building "ties" that will still keep individual and family relationships strong and give DS relaxed opportunities for sharing about what his new schooling is like -- examples: going out for brunch or lunch every Sunday; do a family game night once a week; hold a regular family movie night at home with popcorn and discussion afterwards; regularly go hiking (canoeing, running, tennis, whatever), or do an enjoyed activity together (gardening, community service, orienteering, art class, horseback riding...)

- emotionally/spiritually
   * cover any spiritual/religious foundational things you want to share
   * this would be a good year to discuss some big topics: s*x, relationships, mental health, bullying, etc.

- academically
be sure he's solid and on-pace with the maths and writing

- practice study skills
   * time management (calendar organizer, to do lists, etc.)
   * "stuff" management (papers, homework, books, etc.)
   * note-taking from lectures
   * how to read/learn from a textbook
   * how to study for tests

- prep-wise
take a look at the coursework at the technical high school, and see if there's a class or some information that is a core subject or one that the school's year 10 and above classes build on that would be important to include in your last year of homeschool

- general school transition
   * all next year, have him put his name and date on every single piece of work
   * does the school use lockers with combination locks? if so, practice at home, and how to remember where your locker is
   * if DS is a "night owl" and sleeps in, practice going to bed earlier and getting up at the time he'll need to for getting ready to go to a school
   * possibly start practicing 

• Like 1