Menu

yearly planning -- what works for you?

Next year I will have a 2nd grader, a 5th grader, and an 8th grader.  We have always homeschooled.  In past summers I would take some time to think about what I wanted to accomplish in the upcoming year and make some general plans, but mostly I hammered out the details as we went along.  

I have come to the conclusion that this strategy is no longer working as well as it once did.  This past year we had a delightful and productive fall semester (we were away on sabbatical with DH) but the spring semester was .... not.  I was working more than I usually do, we had a lot of other things going on, and while we kept up with school, it was uninspired and kind of a drag.

I have been using the summer break to think hard about what needs to happen in our homeschool and have realized that I have to get ahead of the school year.. I have to do all of the reading, formulate the writing assignments, and figure out lessons -- not the weekend before, but right now.  During the school year there just isn't enough time for me to do these things properly.   

So far I have made Word charts for science, history, and literature that list our school weeks and general subjects to be covered on those weeks.  But now I need to drill down further and actually figure out what we are going to do each week, and then keep track of it all.  

For those of you who plan out your year ahead of time, how do you do it?  Giant Excel spreadsheet for everything?  Piles of books with dozens of sticky notes?  Separate syllabi for each subject and kid?  Other ideas?  Pitfalls?  Suggestions?

I use a template that I made up, I do one for each piece of curriculum or sometimes subject (mainly curriculum though).  It is laid out for 5 days a week although I usually only plan for 4 (some things I might plan out for only 2 days a week -I did that with art quite a bit).   The first thing I do is decide how much of that piece of curriculum I want to do for the year.  Dd is now in high school so for something like grammar I may use one book for 2-3 years as review but something like Math I want to get through the entire book.  I then print out the sheet and then plan out what I need to do.  I usually aim for 4 days over 30-32 weeks although somethings like Math may go longer.

I keep all those sheets in a binder and then each week I check off what we have done and then fill out a weekly plan sheet for the upcoming week.  Doing it this way gives be a big picture for the actually curriculum but allows me flexibility to adjust what we do each day based on what is going on.  So for some subjects we might be on week 20 day 2 but another we would be on week 19 day 3 and so on.  I attached the files of the templates I use in case you are interested.

School Year blank 02.docx

Weekly Planning Form.docx

• Like 4

5 hours ago, mschickie said:

I use a template that I made up, I do one for each piece of curriculum or sometimes subject (mainly curriculum though).  It is laid out for 5 days a week although I usually only plan for 4 (some things I might plan out for only 2 days a week -I did that with art quite a bit).   The first thing I do is decide how much of that piece of curriculum I want to do for the year.  Dd is now in high school so for something like grammar I may use one book for 2-3 years as review but something like Math I want to get through the entire book.  I then print out the sheet and then plan out what I need to do.  I usually aim for 4 days over 30-32 weeks although somethings like Math may go longer.

I keep all those sheets in a binder and then each week I check off what we have done and then fill out a weekly plan sheet for the upcoming week.  Doing it this way gives be a big picture for the actually curriculum but allows me flexibility to adjust what we do each day based on what is going on.  So for some subjects we might be on week 20 day 2 but another we would be on week 19 day 3 and so on.  I attached the files of the templates I use in case you are interested.

This is extremely helpful.  Thank you so much!  

I buy a lesson planner for each of my kids and write their daily plans individually in their planners.  I have a separate planner for me full of dates/obligations, etc for our entire family.  (Since most of my kids are now adults, trying to find overlapping time off to see each other is hard.)

Anyway, I am very picky about the format of my planner.  I only like planners with subjects across the top and days going down the side of the page vertically.  I like it that way bc I can write plans straight down the page for a single subject. 

This is my planning week.  I finished my 7th graders' big view plans for the first half of the year and daily plans for several weeks.

If you look inside of this planner at the subject/day sample, this is similar to what I want to see.  The entire week is a 2 page spread with 3 subjects on the first page and 4 subjects on the other.  (opened out flat, you see the entire week.) https://www.christianbook.com/black-white-lesson-plan-book/9781616019341/pd/881392?event=CBCER1

• Like 3

I'm like you...I usually have my plans in my head and then we fly by the seat of our pants...  That didn't go well this year (lol).  Everything was a mess.  A few weeks ago, I ended up making an Excel spreadsheet for each kid with their subjects going down the side and the days of the week along the top.  I planned out 8 weeks of school for each kid and penciled everything in on their spreadsheets.  They've just been working through their schedules on their own.

It's working great for ds15 and dd13, but dd16 is already 4 days behind.  Can't say I didn't try!  

I used to use One Note (last year) and just plan out their weekly schedule every Sunday night.  They would check OneNote on Monday and work through their checklists.  But, everyone complained that it was easier to have something on paper, so we moved to Excel spreadsheets.

I've just resigned myself to the fact that our homeschool isn't perfect.  ?

• Like 1

I send the kids to camp for 1-2 weeks. That way I can have truly focused time to wrap my head around it.

I make a full -year chart of assignments (by day) for each child. I assume three 12 week terms, so 36 weeks in all. I assume a 4 day week (we do a history / PE coop once a week). I make a similar chart for myself called "mom's master." 

For DD, she's pretty independent and can triage her own work well. I just list the assignments. Many are "do the next thing." A sample day's list might include: math, piano, chinese, composition (with mom), history reading (then written narration), literature reading (verbal narration), copywork, free reading.  For the history reading, I'd list the specific chapter and also specific output that I am expecting (timeline entry, written narration, map, etc). For literature, I list the specific chapter out of the book.

For DS, he mostly needs to work alongside me. But having the daily chart keeps me on track and hopefully is providing scaffolding for him to be able to slowly transition to taking charge of things himself.

My Master chart has more details about any readalouds, science planning, books to put on hold, etc.

• Like 1

Thanks for all of these great ideas.  I have been using assignment books for each child for a couple of years now, which have been very helpful.  It's my own planning that I need to get sorted earlier.  It's so helpful to see how everyone does this.

OKBud, do you use a separate composition book for each child and each subject?

On 6/20/2018 at 2:29 PM, mschickie said:

I love this!

Some of my planning process is done while I'm in the research phase (for example, I have to have some idea of how I'll use history or lit. books in order to know how many I'll need--that kind of thing). Setting priorities and considering passions etc... is an important part of deciding how I'll plan my year. Once I have researched and decided what I'm using, I sit down with each subject and figure out a yearly plan. I often did this together at a friend's house (it's fun to have planning days together! When our kids were little, they played while we planned.)

I don't come up with day by day assignments. I'm a "do the next thing" type of homeschooler. So I set my year up to make that easy.

A yearly plan for math was typically simple--a lesson or test per day, how many days do I need? What's my contingency plan for topics that need extra days? What's my contingency plan for those years when the curriculum had more than 180 lessons/tests?

I write up my plan on a one-page sheet for my Teacher Binder, and also include a place for grades in high school. Some curricula have grade sheets you can copy or print. Sometimes I photo-copied a TOC to use for this. Sometimes I made up my own chart in a word document.

A yearly plan for history or lit was more involved--which books did I want us to cover? What order? How long did I think each one would take? I came up with an estimated school week (week 1-36) in which I thought we would start each book, so that my yearly plan listed a week number and then a book (there's a picture of this in my "Teacher Binder" blog post that I linked above). This way, I could easily see as we went through the year whether we were on track, ahead, or behind what I had planned.

I came up with a list of optional books that I also had on hand. I used these if we got ahead, if I changed my mind about a scheduled book mid-year, for summer reading, for read-alouds, or saved them for another year. 

Part of my yearly plan was deciding how much time per subject per day (as an approximation or goal--not to constrain us if interests went another way that day or we had a field trip etc...).

During the school year, everything was set so that we could follow my time-plan and simply do the next thing. My planner was blank, and I simply write in the chapter number, lesson number, or page numbers (and book title if we changed books) for that day, or did a check-mark if the subject was time-driven. So, it was easy to see where we were at any given time, to know whether we were on plan, to know if I needed to make adjustments in what we did or how we did things (to either get back on track or adjust my expectations, depending on the subject), and so on.

One year I did attempt to write every lesson plan out for the year, and I hated that year! Too much changing to do when things came up, and I felt pressured and stressed the whole year. I much preferred having a plan to follow but journaling it in my planner as we went.

Happy planning and figuring out what works for you!

• Like 1

Each year, I write a grade year specific plan with subject title, publisher, course descriptions, and goals.  For daily planning, I use a weekly subject planner with subjects across the top and dates down the side.  I enter completed work in an an excel spreadsheet and then print them for records checks required by my cover.  My printed paperwork is placed in a binder with the TOC of all books/curriculum used and a booklist of all books read by my student.    

• Like 1

Excel workbook - each class gets its own sheet within the workbook.

Within each sheet, each row represents a lesson. It gives (in the columns) the pages to be covered, the work to be completed, lists lesson supplementals (links to youtube videos or web pages that accompany the lesson) and a list of any materials needed to complete the lesson. There are also notes to the teacher in case there is anything that needs to be done before the lesson. The student can add notes. There is also a column for a grade and to mark as completed.

I enter the entire book/curriculum into this spreadsheet lesson-by-lesson. So about 100 lines per class. 

Once we start the class, we simply spend an allotted amount of time on the class and we do the next thing on the spreadsheet. If we don't complete a lesson, we make a note of where we are in the lesson and continue from there. Some classes they do on their own, in those cases, I print out the excel sheet and they cross out work as they complete it.

This way, I always know exactly where we are and exactly how much we have left to complete. Sheets can be saved for Child2 that is following Child1. Planning is done 3 months - 1 year before. It takes about 3-8 hours per class depending on the number of supplements I add).

• Like 2

I sit down with paper and pen and break the curriculum down into months and then further into weeks. I theme it out where I can and I plan the activities and field trips and tentatively schedule them in. I do it subject by subject. For example, for history next year we are doing middle ages. I broke it up on paper by months. I am using biblioplan along with SOTW and various books. I scheduled them into the month and chose a couple projects, art, field trips along with it. I scheduled in our monthly geography study and any activities or outings for it. I then take that history month and try to overlap any themes I see across our other curriculums. Something new I am doing this year is schooling 3 weeks out of the month and doing immersion the 4th week of each month. So my September history has a bunch of scheduled books, some narrations and copy work, we will read Usborne King Arthur and during immersion week we are going to Camlann which is a medieval village near us. We will read Pinocchio during September for lit and during immersion week we will go to a puppet show that uses marionettes. I schedule in our language arts, math, latin, cursive, etc each day for 3 weeks and then for the immersion week I plan language arts games and activities, math games, geography cooking and so forth. 

Once I have everything planned out via lists on paper and I think it feels like it is paced well, I then use word to make tables that look similar to Memoria Press schedules. I do one for each child's individual work and then I do a combined one for the subjects we do together. I put check boxes next to each thing and color code any resources we will need. 

I then use bins and bags to create science experiment resources with books, and just group things I will need each week together. I tend to do this in 3 month increments in case I need to change something. It forces me to stick with curriculum for atleast 3 months too if I start to decide I want to switch. Sometimes I just need to settle into it. 

I print them out a week at a time and put them in the front of each kid's binder. Since we take a week off every month to do immersion, I have the curriculum scheduled August through June which will allow us to finish it all up and still keep our built in fun weeks. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, RenaInTexas said:

Once we start the class, we simply spend an allotted amount of time on the class and we do the next thing on the spreadsheet. If we don't complete a lesson, we make a note of where we are in the lesson and continue from there.

This is really smart; I already do this for math and writing but need to use this strategy with other subjects as well.

• Like 2

On 6/20/2018 at 1:27 PM, JennyD said:

Next year I will have a 2nd grader, a 5th grader, and an 8th grader.  We have always homeschooled.  In past summers I would take some time to think about what I wanted to accomplish in the upcoming year and make some general plans, but mostly I hammered out the details as we went along.  

I have come to the conclusion that this strategy is no longer working as well as it once did.  This past year we had a delightful and productive fall semester (we were away on sabbatical with DH) but the spring semester was .... not.  I was working more than I usually do, we had a lot of other things going on, and while we kept up with school, it was uninspired and kind of a drag.

I have been using the summer break to think hard about what needs to happen in our homeschool and have realized that I have to get ahead of the school year.. I have to do all of the reading, formulate the writing assignments, and figure out lessons -- not the weekend before, but right now.  During the school year there just isn't enough time for me to do these things properly.   

So far I have made Word charts for science, history, and literature that list our school weeks and general subjects to be covered on those weeks.  But now I need to drill down further and actually figure out what we are going to do each week, and then keep track of it all.  

For those of you who plan out your year ahead of time, how do you do it?  Giant Excel spreadsheet for everything?  Piles of books with dozens of sticky notes?  Separate syllabi for each subject and kid?  Other ideas?  Pitfalls?  Suggestions?

Making a lot of lesson plans ahead of time is very frustrating, especially with young kids.  They inevitably go awry by week 2-3. 

I use summer to do these things:

What went well this year?
What didn't?  Why didn't it and how did it differ from my plan/goal?  (What was bumpy?)
What are my goals for each child in each area?

For example, let's look at my then 4th grader:

What went well?  Math!  Math moved at a great clip.
What didn't?  History & Science.  Why didn't it?  Well, we did great reading outside sources but we didn't do well using a spine.  So I am picking a spine I'm very familiar with this year and building off of it instead like I have in previous years. 

What are my goals for this child?  More writing!  She really loves hands-on and so we are doing lapbooks with her science to problem solve in this area.

I don't track my K-3 kids.  We just do the next thing and do reading instruction wherever they are.  We do life.  However, this 4th grader has a little notebook and she is supposed to write down in what she does each day.  They have generic subject divisions and she just needs to fill it in. 

So, in short, I have a general plan (SOTW 3, Apologia Swimming Creatures, Saxon Math 5/4) but I reject specific plans (Wednesday, June 27, p 16-23) because they are SO much work when life happens and I know I'm going to be off.  BUT, if this is you, you have to be committed to "doing" some structured school each day and it has to be a priority or it will get pushed.  A generic list of the things you must do each day (cake vs. icing) is a good thing because when Mama Brain kicks in and you can't remember what you've covered and what you haven't, that list is your right hand. 

• Like 3

Once I've chosen curriculum, I go into Homeschool Skedtrack and log every... single... activity. It takes me all summer to input, but then each child has a daily task list that's editable depending on their progress. If they don't check off a math activity, for example, it automatically bumps to the next day they have math. Skedtrack is clunky, but it's free and gets the job done. My first year, I was using it as a record-keeping device and hadn't planned ahead, but logging everything we'd done on a daily basis was exhausting and I lost track. Once I realized that I could input all the activities in advance, I started doing that, and I've never looked back. I actually love planning now ? It also is helpful in giving me perspective. Last year I planned 36 weeks' worth of classes (so 36 activities for once-a-week courses, 72 for twice-a-week, etc.) and it's taken us about 40 weeks to get all those activities completed. Since Skedtrack shows me how many total activities are planned, for next year I decided to plan 32 weeks of classes instead. It works in reverse as well--if there's a certain program I want to complete this year, and it has 85 lessons, that tells me I need to devote 3 days a week to that curriculum in order to finish on time. Then when all the activities are input, I just select "predict dates" and it tells me the date I can expect that class to finish, provided no days are missed and no activities take longer than planned. I'm... weirdly passionate about Skedtrack ? 

At this point, the only course in Skedtrack that I leave unplanned is what they read during independent reading time. I fill that in daily, since it's their choice. Obviously, I can't know for certain whether a given activity will take them more than one day to complete, but if it takes longer than I expected, all I have to do is hit "copy" on that activity, and it'll duplicate it for the next day. For next year, I also created a "dummy course" called Daily Notes. I plan to use that to log time spent on activities or events that I can't plan for, but that either have some educational/social value or would be "excused absences" in brick-and-mortar school. (Dr. appointments, chores, youth group, exercise, 2-hour spontaneous Q&A on the development of the doctrine of the Trinity, etc.)

Side note, when I choose curriculum, I try to have a good balance between OAG and DIY. The DIY stuff (like BFSU and history) takes me forever to plan. As the kids have gotten older, I've moved more and more towards OAG-type curriculum for that reason. If I had to do that for every middle school subject, I'd never get it all done in time! I loved being open-ended, free-wheeling, learn-what-you-like-each-day during the elementary years, but the kids themselves started needing and wanting more structure when they got to the logic stage; and beyond that, being open-ended and free-wheeling started taking waaaay more planning and self-educating prep on my end than I could handle.

• Like 3

I spend the summer planning every subject for each child. I have an old version of Homeschool Tracker Plus and I divide everything into what I think are reasonable lessons. I also make photocopies of any worksheets or maps, collect science supplies, prep games or activities, buy books, and make a list of books needed from the library with week needed. On Sunday evenings during our school year, I can then assign the work taking into account anything unusual happening that week. It's a lot of work, but once school starts in the fall, we are very busy and I know most things are ready to go. Every summer I question whether it's worth all the effort, but during the school year I'm always happy I took the time to prepare.

• Like 2

Spread sheet user here. I do one page per semester with subjects as the columns and weeks down the left. I take each subject and divide the units, chapters, lessons, etc. over our school year, and then I jot down what should be done each week to finish out by the end of the year. 

Then, weekly, I divide all that up based on what's going on each day. I put ds' assignments in Evernote. There are a couple of things I let him schedule himself, but I schedule the subjects that involve me working with him. I will be tutoring 6 students a week this coming year, so I have to watch my time. 

• Like 1

I learned early on that I have to have subjects scheduled separately. One year, I put all the subjects down by week - by the second week, I was on three different pages for the five subjects.

So, now I schedule history for my two youngest kids, on a 4-day/week format for as long as it is needed to get through the book (17-22 weeks depending on how many fun activities I include). A separate set of sheets will be for science or religion.

We do Latin, Math, and a couple of other subjects for a set # of minutes/day (times however many times/week it is scheduled) and get through what we get through. I have to spend my summers pre-planning & laying it all out or it doesn't get done during the school year.

Anything my olders can do on their own, they get a set of lessons all planned out, checklist style. My oldest was not good at sitting down & getting things done, but my next two will work for the scheduled amount of time on the scheduled days to get through the material. (However, they have a habit of just making a note "I don't understand this" and moving on instead of asking for help at the time.) So, I set up their history (for example) like Pandia Press's History Odyssey plans look like. They just work for 45-60 minutes 3-4 times per week on the checklists until they are done with everything - bringing me things to check as the plans tell them to.

• Like 1

I am also a high-level planner. I have found getting too detailed ahead of time is a sure recipe for frustration, suffocation, and feelings of failure. ?  I basically start with a list of goals for the year, and utilize a student planner for week-to-week scheduling.

I wrote about our planning method in three blog posts starting here.

If the approach or curriculum requires elaborate planning, then it won't work well with families with more than maybe two children. ?

• Like 2

19 hours ago, birchbark said:

If the approach or curriculum requires elaborate planning, then it won't work well with families with more than maybe two children. ?

Define elaborate. I design almost every course every one of my students takes. It isn't scheduling out textbooks. It is gathering books, videos, and other resources and planning every day's assignment.  I don't find it overwhelming or too time consuming.  I far prefer our days with that approach.  

Every family needs to find their own way of homeschooling. I have lots of friends who use Seton and have for yrs. They love it and can't imagine doing anything else. Using Seton would have caused me to have stopped homeschooling over 2 decades ago. I would have been bored out of my mind and frustrated every single day.

• Like 2

I used to decide what subjects I wanted to cover, pick out the books/curriculum and then enter it into a spreadsheet, one page for each subject.  Now, generally I end up just copying the table of contents of each book/curriculum, etc. and write the date next to it.  I do a quick projection page at the beginning of the year for each subject showing where I'd like to be on weeks 12, 24 and 36.  That way I know if I'm behind or ahead.  My oldest two, who have graduated, loved just checking off each line on each page of the spreadsheet and they'd write the date.  I'm doing this now with my 7 year old and not sure what I'll be like when he's older.  :)

• Like 1

Excel.

I'm like the other posters who create a sheet for each subject and each day’s assignment goes down the rows (108 or 144 or 180 depending on how many days a week I do that subject)

One thing I do beyond that is to create a weekly schedule page. This page is set up so that it goes and retrieves the correct assignment for each subject that week using the indirect(address...) function based on the subject and the row and column(I use the week number at top of page to calculate those)

the beauty of this is it is adjustable when you get off track. Just go to the assignment(s) that was missed and shift all the cells down then change the week number at the top of the weekly page and It will automatically will pick out the new assignment for the coming week

for my independent workers it is great for them to have a checklist of what is expected for the day. 

Also after several kids I already have subjects planned and I can edit and import easily to my next kids schedule. 

And it’s pretty, I like looking at a weeks worth of assignments for all subjects rather than a long list for each subject

Drawbacks are it takes time to input every page number or assignment and if I want to print out multiple weeks at a time I have to change the week number at the top of the page before hitting print for each week. (Though you could create a macro to do that for you).

For my younger kids I have a lot of just do the next thing that I am directing, so I don’t plan those out as much or take the time to type them all in. But I will for science and history. 

• Like 2

On 7/8/2018 at 11:56 AM, Dudley said:

Excel.

I'm like the other posters who create a sheet for each subject and each day’s assignment goes down the rows (108 or 144 or 180 depending on how many days a week I do that subject)

One thing I do beyond that is to create a weekly schedule page. This page is set up so that it goes and retrieves the correct assignment for each subject that week using the indirect(address...) function based on the subject and the row and column(I use the week number at top of page to calculate those)

the beauty of this is it is adjustable when you get off track. Just go to the assignment(s) that was missed and shift all the cells down then change the week number at the top of the weekly page and It will automatically will pick out the new assignment for the coming week

for my independent workers it is great for them to have a checklist of what is expected for the day. 

Also after several kids I already have subjects planned and I can edit and import easily to my next kids schedule. 

And it’s pretty, I like looking at a weeks worth of assignments for all subjects rather than a long list for each subject

Drawbacks are it takes time to input every page number or assignment and if I want to print out multiple weeks at a time I have to change the week number at the top of the page before hitting print for each week. (Though you could create a macro to do that for you).

For my younger kids I have a lot of just do the next thing that I am directing, so I don’t plan those out as much or take the time to type them all in. But I will for science and history. 

I just figured out how to this in Google sheets and I am doing a serious happy dance!

• Like 2

On 7/8/2018 at 8:56 AM, Dudley said:

Excel.

Oh my goodness. How did I not know about this?? I need to try this....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShanaT said:

I just figured out how to this in Google sheets and I am doing a serious happy dance!

Awesome!  I was giddy for weeks after I finally figured out how to do this and no one could appreciate my accomplishment.  I will do the happy dance with you!!

• Like 1