Menu

What's with the ads?

Kinsa

Coexisting in the desert

Just wanted to share our latest new friend out here in the desert. This is called a vinegaroon. My 18yo son found it on the side of our house as he left for work early one morning. You can get a sense of its size by comparing it to the basketball in the picture. 

IMG_82341.jpg

IMG_82351.jpg

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 5

3 minutes ago, jewellsmommy said:

Dd was looking with me and went, "Oh a whip scorpion!" 

My response was more like "AHHH!"

Extra points for your dh! Yes, they are also known as whip scorpions, though they aren't actually scorpions. 

• Like 1

Just now, Kinsa said:

Extra points for your dh! Yes, they are also known as whip scorpions. 

My dd actually, but yes she loves to get credit for being a know it all!

We coexist with a cute bunny and an adorable squirrel in our yard.  ?

Right now, I’m visiting my parents in Arizona and my dad squashed a black widow spider yesterday.  I wish he’d waited until I could look at it closer.  I’ve never seen one before and always wondered what they look like in person.  

I have to say, I’ve been very happy not to have to worry about Lyme disease for the past couple of days (like i have to at home).  So, I guess we all have our terrible bits of nature to deal with.

• Like 2

A coworker of mine had one as a pet in our entomology lab (long ago).  All in all, I have to say it was pretty boring to watch.  Cool looking, though.

56 minutes ago, Kinsa said:

Extra points for your dh! Yes, they are also known as whip scorpions, though they aren't actually scorpions. 

I have heard of whip scorpions before but not vinegaroon. I'd rather see one of those than a snake...they eat cockroaches. Maybe give him a name and allow him to rid you of a few vermin.

3 hours ago, Garga said:

We coexist with a cute bunny and an adorable squirrel in our yard.  ?

Right now, I’m visiting my parents in Arizona and my dad squashed a black widow spider yesterday.  I wish he’d waited until I could look at it closer.  I’ve never seen one before and always wondered what they look like in person.  

I have to say, I’ve been very happy not to have to worry about Lyme disease for the past couple of days (like i have to at home).  So, I guess we all have our terrible bits of nature to deal with.

We have those horrifying creatures, but a lot more cute little quail and prairie dogs and bunnies. 

Where are you in Arizona?

Black widows aren't impressive. Just black spiders.

3 hours ago, Kinsa said:

Yeah, I was counting the legs.  What a cool, creepy insect!

Oh hells no. 

I’d be out of the house and half moved out of state before the husband got home from work. I hate arachnids of any kind. 

Give me tornados. 

Give me poisonous snakes.

Give me bees (whose sting I’m allergic too) 

Anything is better than most any type of arachnid.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Desert Strawberry said:

Where are you in Arizona?

We’re visiting in Prescott Valley.

Please tell me that by "coexisting" you really meant "coexisted" and one of you has relocated.  I don't care which one, but tell me one of you has moved far away from the other. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1