Menu

Help me pick a science for this year!

Oakblossoms

In the past, I have used mostly apologia or unit studies with my older kids.  My oldest two are grown and my teen is using Monarch (his choice).  I now work full-time in the evenings. I have limited time for planned and grading.  I’m looking for something that will work for a 9 year old girl and 7 year old boy (who is just reading and not  writing by himself yet). I need them to do science together.  I don’t want to plan. I’m not looking to have the next amazing scientist. I just want to make sure we do some science this year.  

I have been looking at The Good and the Beautiful because the units are shorter. 

I’ve added Elemental Science to my list, as well.  I like that it is planned out.  But, I worry it will take up too much time. 

Sonlight science is another choice. But, we are already using them for History.  I’m not sure I want to use the same learning format for Science.  

I like the berean builders science curriculum. You can use it for all students k-6. Each lesson has a workable experiment and a short like 2 page explanation. You do it 2 or 3 times a week. Your choice. If you think his explanation is too wordy just summarize it. Also needed materials are listed by unit and all have do far been easy to find and not expensive;) Cathy Duffy reviews it here  https://cathyduffyreviews.com/homeschool-reviews-core-curricula/science/textbooks-and-grade-level-resources/berean-builders-science-series 

Rainbow resource sells it. It is a Christian science curriculum.

• Like 2

Mystery Science or Supercharged is your best bet as you can put the supplies on the table, open the laptop and let them go to town.

Out of your options you stated, TGTB is hour better option. Elemental requires quite a bit from the parent due to demonstrations, crafts, reading, narration etc. 

I was going to recommend Berean Builders too. Science in the Beginning is very well done and super easy to do but even more importantly it explains well and is well written. 

I haven’t tried Quark Chronicles but I’ve read a lot of great reviews here so I might add that this year.

Mystery Science. No prep required except the gathering of simple supplies or printing the provided PDF's. The way we did it is to watch the exploration portion on day 1, then I would preview the Activity and do any printing/gathering of supplies.  Day 2 we would do the Activity. Day 3 & 4 my kiddos would do the Extras and/or read books from the library (or from what we own) on the topic.  Extremely easy to implement, the kiddos loved it and learned quite a bit.

Paradox5 - magic school bus is free on Netflix! 

My first grader this year watched a bunch of magic school bus. We tried elemental science for my 3 kids and it was too teacher intensive for us. I also thought it was hard to follow and could be tricky to figure out where we were supposed to find certain things. The spines were awesome books but ES instructions lacked. 

What about out looking into master books science? We are trying MB this year. The books are extremely well laid out and are open and go. 

Elemental Science was definitely too teacher intensive for me at the time I tried it (pregnant and taking care of babies and toddlers plus my school-age kiddo). I resorted to interest-led science stuff, nature study, and science shows, per the advice of many a wise mama on this board. And then last year I felt like I needed to just cover some bases, so I got Evan-Moor's Daily Science for my 5th and 2nd graders. Oh my goodness, I kinda love it. It's so painless, but the kids (and I) actually learned a lot! We still watched shows and did nature study and pursued various science-based interests, but we also learned about some stuff our interests never would have led us to. I highly recommend it.

This year, I'm just getting a book of experiments with explanations to work through. Because my current goal is for my kids to think science is cool and to know it's something we DO, and what is cooler than mixing things up, building rockets, and testing our own creations? But I'm also gonna keep Daily Science in their daily packets, because it just gets the job done.