Menu

Experience with WHA or Scholé online writing class?

(I'm not sure how to cross post, but I posted this on the Middle School board too for anyone there who can add in their experience.)

My rising 8th grader has done W&R books 1-3, 5-6, with a year of IEW in the middle. We've enjoyed the W&R series and I really like the approach. I'm contemplating registering him for a few classes with Wilson Hill- Greek, possibly Great Conversations 1 or 2, and maybe math and/or science. I saw Scholé has an online writing class for books 7&8 and I was comparing that with WHA's Fundamentals of Expository Writing. Has anyone had any experience with either of these classes or providers? I know Scholé seems to be newer in their online offerings and I've read a lot of positive reviews of WHA on here. 

Specifically- I noticed WHA's Fundamentals class has grammar and literature as well. How much in class and outside class time does the grammar and literature usually take? If my son is also doing a Great Conversations course, would the additional literature from Fundamentals be too much? 

Does the Scholé course have any Grammar outside of what is in the W&R book? It does cover some, but it's not really a lot. Does it have any literature reading? Or does it stick to the book in what it covers?

The WHA class seems appealing because of the incorporation of Grammar and Lit- but he will already be reading a fair amount if he is in a Great Conversations class. And we have been working through W&R series so it would be nice to continue with that. It appears he would do a research paper with W&R, but not really with WHA.  I don't know how much writing the Great Conversations class would have.

I wrote a review in the Master Online Class Thread about Fundamentals of Expository Writing. My kid took it with a different teacher than the one who is currently teaching it and they read different books now, but the review should be a general overview. The grammar didn't take any outside time. It was all pretty much in-class time and mostly how to use semi-colons, frequently messed up words (their/they're/there, its/it's, lie/lay) and other frequent mistakes seen in papers. I can't remember how much time outside of class was spent on literature. That might be a question you could email the teacher (bwinn @ wilsonhillacademy.com ?). In my experience, it was the writing that took the most time. My kids have never taken a GC class, so I can't speak to the amount of reading in those.