Menu

High School Writing, History, and Literature

I have two upcoming 6th graders and have most of what I want in terms of curricula for this year. The struggle I'm having is possibly shifting companies because it may be better for the high school years. I have been using MFW for music, art, history and science and have been doing my own thing with regards to the remaining subjects. I notice in the high school curricula, MFW offers more in their core package, including literature/composition, in addition to history, science, music, bible, etc...The history and literature seem to be tightly connected, but I have been using WTM WWE/WWS series and Rod and Staff English, both of which I really love.

I likely will use Center for Lit materials for literature analysis, which I'm hoping to continue into the high school years. Do you guys try to maintain the same companies from middle school into high school? Using Memoria Press, Classical Academic Press, TOG, Vertias Press, Sonlight, HOD all the way through?  These are the companies I'm researching heavily thinking one of them might better fit during the high school years. I'm not so excited about the strong literature, history, bible connection that MFW has set up in high school. I don't really use a lot of their bible teachings currently. I do my own thing in terms of theology/bible. 

I do not use the same curriculum all the way through middle and high school. But then I never used an "all in one" provider like those you mentioned either. I mix and match curriculum from different providers based on what I want to teach. I do try to roughly connect the literature we study with the time period of history we are covering, but not exactly and not in the same way a comprehensive program like TOG or MFW do it. Although I loved the *idea* of a program like rhat, I ultimately decided we wouldn't use enough of the parts of it to justify the price.

What do you use for composition? My 6th graders had completed  WWE 2-4 and will be starting WWS 1. I really hope we all like WWS because I would like to continue it through level 3, which will push them into 9th/10th grade. This is my first go around in the upper grades...