Menu

Modern non-fiction book set in India?

I'm looking for a 9th grade level non-fiction book set in India to go along with our World Geography and Cultures class.  I'd like it to be something that showcases modern society and life, and is enjoyable by a teen.  I've spent far too many hours on this one.  Any ideas?  Thanks!! 

10 hours ago, kand said:

You want it to be non fiction but also a story? The only one that comes to mind for me doesn’t really seem like a high school lit type book, but it might suit your needs. It’s a memoir called A Long Way Home about a boy who got lost in India when he was 5 and his quest to find his family. It’s an interesting story, though, and very accessible to a 9th grader.  https://www.amazon.com/Long-Way-Home-Memoir/dp/0425276198/ref=nodl_?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-iphone-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=0425276198

I'd seen this one but thought it might be more about his search than India.  Does it do a good job showcasing life in India?  Thanks!

5 hours ago, CAJinBE said:

We read and watched City of Joy. It's fiction based on true stories.

This looks so much better than all the ones I've been finding that are all about the dark, gritty sides of India.  It would be nice to have a positive look!  Thank you!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, daijobu said:

A few years ago I read Behind the Beautiful Forevers, but I came away thinking India was a horrid place.  

I read this book and, though harsh, it was also uplifting in the way the poorest of the poor didn't necessarily just give up. I really liked it, and a friend who had recently returned from a 3-month stint in an orphanage there said it was pretty on target with the depiction of wealth side by side with poverty.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, linders said:

I read this book and, though harsh, it was also uplifting in the way the poorest of the poor didn't necessarily just give up. I really liked it, and a friend who had recently returned from a 3-month stint in an orphanage there said it was pretty on target with the depiction of wealth side by side with poverty.

9 hours ago, daijobu said:

A few years ago I read Behind the Beautiful Forevers, but I came away thinking India was a horrid place.  

Do you think the book is appropriate for a 9th grader who is still pretty innocent?

13 hours ago, travelgirlut said:

Do you think the book is appropriate for a 9th grader who is still pretty innocent?

I'm sorry, it's been some years since I read it, so I can't say for certain.  I just remember viscerally feeling how debilitating corruption can be when it infuses your daily activities.