Menu

Summer plans, part 2

So, how are your summer plans going?  

I had to drop the class I planned to take this summer.  When the syllabus came out and I saw that 2 absences meant and automatic lowering of a letter grade (no matter if you made up the work.)  I get that it is an intense class to take over the summer, but it seemed a little extreme.  Since I knew I was going to miss one class to take dd to an out of state competition, I just couldn't risk it.  I was also taken aback at the tone of the syllabus ... I felt like a misbehaving child being scolded.  Is this what college is like or is this just aimed at the kind of college student you typically find at a community college? 

The decision was a relief because that meant I could attend dd's college orientation (which it was killing me to miss ... she's my baby and ... as pathetic as this may sound ... my best friend.)  So, this means I take 2 classes next term, then two more in the Spring before I can apply to the Sonography program.

As I was researching to sign up for fall classes, I noticed that the math class I am supposed to take has 2 sections ... and the same teacher.  So, I looked him up on Rate My Professor.  He has a 1.6 rating.  While I do take those ratings with a grain of salt, those were not all the rantings of whiny students who just don't want to do the work.  Many were from people who worked hard at succeeding in the class and were stymied by this professor.  I have to talk to the advisor of the program to which I am applying to see what my options are.  So far, it looks I could take General Physics (algebra based), which means I couldn't work much due to the increased class time, or, possibly, Physics for Radiology.  I have a BS in Mathematics, but I don't have a record of having taking Physics at the college level ... I did an advance topics class in high school, but since our school didn't do AP, I never got any college credit for it.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My experience with CC syllabi is that there is a firm tone to most of them. I think a lot of it is that young students are accustomed to having their teachers work around them and college professors really have to drive it home that college is not like high school. No, you can't email me your work. No, you can't take the test on a different day. No, there is no extra credit... I feel for them.

My baby is my best friend, too. I get it.

Do you have any other CCs in your area? I know students who have gone to their next closest cc for specific classes when the prof at their usual cc really stinks.

I'm taking 1 online summer class and that's fine so far. Not a subject I enjoy, but I can do anything for 6 weeks. 

• Like 3

The syllabus at CC always reads like someone forced to babysit against their will. Ignore it. It doesn’t apply to you.

Although the attendance mandate is pretty standard, in my experience. Especially in grad school, where class only meets once a week. If you miss 2 classes, it’s just about impossible to makeup that much work. Not actually the WORK but the discussion needs to happen in person and is really cannot be replicated. 

Lots of students piece together CC credits from several schools. Personally, I quit reading professor reviews. I just take the class that best fits my schedule. Usually if I show up and behave like a responsible adult, the rest will take care of itself. Mind you, I’m not about the math. No way. No how. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I'm late in replying, but agreed the syllabi are going to be firm. Plus some school mandate what has to be included. 

As for rate my professor, I've had mixed experience. Some of the challenge with student who are trying, may be a matter of mixed effectiveness of the professor and fit of the student for the program. I took Astronomy at one of my science general studies. The professor is an astrophysicist, not an astronomer. It still is one of my lowest grades overall. He had a harder time breaking it down for students who were not math or science oriented.I'm smart and struggled in the class, almost everyone I know who took the class that year hated it. My son took the same class with the same professor and got the highest grade in the class, has developed a rapport with this professor and is now taking physics from him. He's a math major. This is the same kid who struggles to write essays, but reads math textbooks for fun. Ds's academic bent is just different than mine. 

• Like 1

Update:

I went to an advising session for the program I plan to apply to next May.  I knew the program was competitive, but I didn't know that they get 80-100 applicants for 18 spots.  About 75% of the applicants have completed all of the requirements and have valid applications.  They have been taking only "perfect" applicants ... those who have the highest scores on all the rubrics.   I feel confident that I can get those scores.  However, there are classes that I didn't think I needed to take because I took them for my BS 30 years ago.  I just realized that not all of those were As.  This was before grade inflation and at our state flagship university, which was 10 times harder than the community college classes (I took some CC classes over summer breaks, so I have first hand comparisons.)  So, I may end up needing to retake some of those as well.  I am getting discouraged.  I have a personal advising meeting with the advisor to the program to look over the requirements and get suggestions (and to figure out a Plan B ... which may likely be radiology tech.)  

I really don't want to take classes at another CC because ours is has one of the better academic reputations around here.  Also, there is cost (out-of-district tuition is more than double) and travel distance.   

I miss my homeschooling life.  

• Like 1

And my latest update ...

I met individually with the Health Sciences adviser.  I DON'T have to retake any classes because the English class is not part of the revised applicant scoring system and they took my highest college math grade!!  I will be taking Physics this fall in addition to Anatomy and Physiology 2.

One thing I am worried about is a recommendation from an employer.  There is this specific form they have to fill out rating me on a bunch of categories.  Having had my own businesses for the better part of 20 years, I don't have a long history with an employer.  My previous employer had issues and she won't give me a good rec (if she liked me, she would have kept me on as an employee.)  My current employer doesn't spend much time with me and I don't think should would give me a stellar rating.  She thinks I am too slow.  I was very slow on some jobs where either it was overwhelming heat or because I was new to that part of the job and it took me some time to learn it so I am only experienced in one aspect of the job.  And it HAS to be an employer.  So, I am wondering if I should be looking for another job.  I AM a good employee.  I am good at all the things on the rec form.  But the 2 jobs I have had beyond my self-employment years have not shown it.  Since I need to be in the top 18 of 100 applicants, I can't afford a mediocre recommendation.  In previous years, those top 18 had perfect scores on their applications.  

Since they recommend a plan B, I need to look over other programs.  The easiest for me to get the prereqs for would be radiography.  I'd only need one additional class beyond the classes I am already taking.  That one takes more students so it is less competitive, but the starting salaries aren't nearly as good as Sonography.  

• Like 4

On 7/20/2018 at 8:42 AM, dirty ethel rackham said:

And my latest update ...

I met individually with the Health Sciences adviser.  I DON'T have to retake any classes because the English class is not part of the revised applicant scoring system and they took my highest college math grade!!  I will be taking Physics this fall in addition to Anatomy and Physiology 2.

One thing I am worried about is a recommendation from an employer.  There is this specific form they have to fill out rating me on a bunch of categories.  Having had my own businesses for the better part of 20 years, I don't have a long history with an employer.  My previous employer had issues and she won't give me a good rec (if she liked me, she would have kept me on as an employee.)  My current employer doesn't spend much time with me and I don't think should would give me a stellar rating.  She thinks I am too slow.  I was very slow on some jobs where either it was overwhelming heat or because I was new to that part of the job and it took me some time to learn it so I am only experienced in one aspect of the job.  And it HAS to be an employer.  So, I am wondering if I should be looking for another job.  I AM a good employee.  I am good at all the things on the rec form.  But the 2 jobs I have had beyond my self-employment years have not shown it.  Since I need to be in the top 18 of 100 applicants, I can't afford a mediocre recommendation.  In previous years, those top 18 had perfect scores on their applications.  

Since they recommend a plan B, I need to look over other programs.  The easiest for me to get the prereqs for would be radiography.  I'd only need one additional class beyond the classes I am already taking.  That one takes more students so it is less competitive, but the starting salaries aren't nearly as good as Sonography.  

Does it have to be an employer? Could it be a volunteer gig? I'd be tempted to have DH fill it out.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, sassenach said:

Does it have to be an employer? Could it be a volunteer gig? I'd be tempted to have DH fill it out.

I asked.  They insisted that it had to be an employer.  When I mentioned that it can be hard to go to school and work, she just shrugged her shoulders.  If I could have the parents of the children in my various homeschool literature clubs, history clubs, science clubs or if I could have the head coach of dd's climbing team attest to my abilities running 200 volunteers at a competition ... that would speak more to my character and abilities than an employer for a low-level job that I am only doing because the hours fit my life right now.  

58 minutes ago, dirty ethel rackham said:

I asked.  They insisted that it had to be an employer.  When I mentioned that it can be hard to go to school and work, she just shrugged her shoulders.  If I could have the parents of the children in my various homeschool literature clubs, history clubs, science clubs or if I could have the head coach of dd's climbing team attest to my abilities running 200 volunteers at a competition ... that would speak more to my character and abilities than an employer for a low-level job that I am only doing because the hours fit my life right now.  

Yeah, it’s a dumb requirement. 

That is an odd requirement. What do they do with people who, like you, run their own business and may not have had outside jobs in ages? I would think that a successful self-run business would speak volumes, far more than an employer rec.

• Like 1