Menu

Eliminating smoky smell from kitchen cabinets

mamaraby

A child of mine burnt toast so bad that smoke was billowing out of the toaster. Thankfully there was no fire and we have wiped down everything in the kitchen. However, the upper kitchen cabinet the toaster was under still smells like smoke. The other people in my house say it’s faint. I think they’re crazy. It’s still pretty strong to me.

Before calling in one of the restoration companies, I thought I’d ask the Hive. Right now the cabinet door is in the garage because it’s the worst, but the bottom of the cabinet is a close second. Any ideas as to how I can get the smell out?

I would mix vinegar half and half with water and clean the cabinet with that. If that didn't work, I would squeeze a lemon for juice and use that to clean the cabinet. I wouldn't leave it on for too long since it may damage the finish but it should cut the smoke residue. 

I know someone who does clean up after fires and he once told me that vinegar is the most common chemical they use for clean up.

• Like 2