Menu

Recipe my Kids Actually Loved!

Paige

My kids have been reluctant tag-alongs on my switch to a more plant based diet. They have been mostly polite but a little hungry. 

This week, I found a recipe for taco soup that was super easy, cheap, healthy, and they all loved. My pickiest eater didn't even want to go to a restaurant last night of her choice (where she could buy meat or anything she wanted!) because she wanted to go home and eat leftovers!

I thought I'd share. I can't find the exact recipe I used anymore,  but this is it more or less. I used an instant pot, but I bet you could use a regular pot or slow cooker and adjust the times.

Taco Soup

Onion

Pepper

Beans

Lentils

Broth

Taco Seasoning

Crushed Tomatoes

Corn

Directions:

Dice an onion and bell pepper, I used red pepper, but you could use whatever you want. Saute them together in oil of choice or broth or whatever until soft. Dump into pot 2 cans of beans. I used black and chickpeas but you could use pinto, kidney, whatever. Dump in rinsed lentils- anything but the soft red split type. I used black. Add 1 can of crushed or diced tomatoes. I bet you could use fresh if you chopped them too but you may want to add some more salt. Add 1 tablespoon of taco seasoning. I used Penzeys, but you could make your own. Add 4 cups of veggie broth. Turn pot on for 15min. When it's done, check the lentils. Mine weren't soft enough for me so I put it back in for 10min. I added a half package of frozen corn at this point. If your lentils are done, put the pot on saute and stir occasionally until the corn is cooked. If your lentils weren't done, the corn will be ready in 10min with the lentils. Season for taste when it's done. I added a bit more taco seasoning. 

I cooked rice separately, and served it over the rice and the kids added shredded cheese and crushed tortilla chips. You could add some jalapeno with the onion and pepper if you like it spicier, or adjust it in different ways depending on what you have on hand and it served my 6 people with enough leftovers for everyone to have some the next day. 

• 3 weeks later...