Menu

Story of the World memory work: favorites sources? ideas?

I'm hoping to start entering SotW into our memory work.  Ideas for this?  I can imagine:

• pulling key concepts from the tests (I have the test ebooks/pdfs)
  • adding dates from the back of the textbooks, esp. for my older fellow
  • maybe pulling in memory work from Claritas Publishing (might be nice to have their other stuff)
  • finding material from Living Memory to line up with the time period
  • ????

Thanks!

Have you seen the cards in the back of the AG? I printed them on card stock, cut them out, and hung them on a binder ring thinking we would use them as flash cards for memory work. It sounded like a great idea (but we didn’t keep up with it for long). 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, fourisenough said:

Have you seen the cards in the back of the AG? I printed them on card stock, cut them out, and hung them on a binder ring thinking we would use them as flash cards for memory work. It sounded like a great idea (but we didn’t keep up with it for long). 

No!  I hadn't!  good grief.  Those look great.  We'd probably put them into Anki. 

I think they'd be tricky flashcards because, well, what exactly are you flashing?  I'd have to oral drill them, dropping out key words and having the children fill them in &c.  But: what a great resource, and I don't have to buy anything.  !!!  Thanks!

• Like 1

We are going to try Recitation And Enrichment from Creek Edge Press next year.  It's not exactly secular, but it does seem to be an interesting addition to our history and other studies and I think will round it out well. Hopefully. ?  I can't find samples so I'll have to report back to you at the beginning of the school year to see how it goes.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, macmacmoo said:

Well, yes, that would be it!  This is just what I was wishing I had time to design: memory work cards with real art.  But these folks thought to include maps too.  Ooooh, happy dance! 

For others: these really do look ideal for beautiful, comprehensive SOTW memory work.  There are cards to go with each of the 4 volumes of SOTW, color-coded to match the volumes.  Quoting from the website description of the Ancients cards:

"The Ancient History Cards coordinate with Story of the World, vol 1 (Ancient Times), by Susan Wise Bauer.  There are two sets of cards per SOTW volume; set 1 covers chapters 1-22, set 2 covers chapters 23-42.  Each card coordinates with one chapter within SOTW and contains artwork, a memory sentence, summary, and map relating to a specific historical event.  The Ancient History Cards (set 1 and 2) will take the student through ancient history, from early nomads to the split of the Roman Empire.  Both card sets contain additional information – memory work recommended by The Well-Trained Mind, by Jessie Wise and Susan Wise Bauer.  For convenience, these Memory Cards are clearly identified with an ‘M.’"

These look truly ecumenical and aligned with the books.  The first art image seems to be one of the Lascaux cave paintings, which just made me happy.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2018 at 4:08 AM, OKBud said:

It's not lined up with SOTW at all, but whenever memory work comes up, I have to mention Memoria press recitation. It comes on little cheap PDF files (or cheap booklets) and it's all so organized. It's not like it's going to be radically different than what you'll find in Claritas or Living Memory, but it IS super streamlined. 

Claritas is already completely aligned with SOTW, so you wouldn't need to pull from it to make it match up. 

I asked around for pre-made secular memory work a while ago and there was nothin' doin'. 

I agree about MP recitation, esp. for the K-2 grades: it is just the sort of stuff that can be hard to include in our homeschools.  I often disagree with at least a few of the facts from the "Famous Men" and American History card sets, but as I recall the memory work that makes it into the yearly recitations is pretty robust. 

On 6/14/2018 at 4:41 AM, HomeAgain said:

We are going to try Recitation And Enrichment from Creek Edge Press next year.  It's not exactly secular, but it does seem to be an interesting addition to our history and other studies and I think will round it out well. Hopefully. ?  I can't find samples so I'll have to report back to you at the beginning of the school year to see how it goes.

I would be very interested to hear how this goes!  I hope you remember to report back (and hope that your experience is a good one, it is always nicer when things work out). 

On 6/15/2018 at 2:13 PM, serendipitous journey said:

Well, yes, that would be it!  This is just what I was wishing I had time to design: memory work cards with real art.  But these folks thought to include maps too.  Ooooh, happy dance! 

For others: these really do look ideal for beautiful, comprehensive SOTW memory work.  There are cards to go with each of the 4 volumes of SOTW, color-coded to match the volumes.  Quoting from the website description of the Ancients cards:

"The Ancient History Cards coordinate with Story of the World, vol 1 (Ancient Times), by Susan Wise Bauer.  There are two sets of cards per SOTW volume; set 1 covers chapters 1-22, set 2 covers chapters 23-42.  Each card coordinates with one chapter within SOTW and contains artwork, a memory sentence, summary, and map relating to a specific historical event.  The Ancient History Cards (set 1 and 2) will take the student through ancient history, from early nomads to the split of the Roman Empire.  Both card sets contain additional information – memory work recommended by The Well-Trained Mind, by Jessie Wise and Susan Wise Bauer.  For convenience, these Memory Cards are clearly identified with an ‘M.’"

These look truly ecumenical and aligned with the books.  The first art image seems to be one of the Lascaux cave paintings, which just made me happy.

Does anyone have these that could tell me about the included memory work for ancient history?