Menu

CFL style co-op class

Nam2001

Hi ladies,

I am teaching a class or two this year at our local co-op.  I am thinking of having one of them be a class where we read books and teach them to discuss them along the lines of Center for Lit/Teaching the Classics.  I would start with picture books and walk them through the story chart, discuss elements of a story, lots of Socratic style questions, etc......  I will have 8 weeks.  Do you have any ideas of material I could use or books that aren't too long to work through?  I am thinking about All The Places to Love and perhaps A Bargain for Frances to start. CFL uses those and I'm familiar with how they walk through those books.  That would likely be week 1, along with introducing some basics about stories.  I'm starting from scratch, so any help would be great.  I would want to have plenty of discussion and hands on activities if possible.  Send any ideas my way.  I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

ETA: This will be for 5th grade