Menu

The 16 most popular board games of 2018

Kareni

I have played 12 out of the 16 and one I have on my want list. I didn't list Risk because it was Game of Thrones (which I haven't played) but I have played Risk and we have the Doctor Who Edition. 

We don't play video games so we are big into board games in our family ?

• Like 1

For those who love games. a new one my son has found this year is Scythe.  It has moved to his #1 favorite game this year and has held that spot since he first found it.  It is a strategy game for teens/adults or experienced younger players. 

• Like 2

We have 7 of the 16, if you swap out GoT Risk for Halo Risk.  Plus Ticket to Ride (3 versions of it!), Qwirkle, Labyrinth, Catan, Candy Land, and Blokus.  I didn’t count Clue because we have the original, not the HP version.  We’re avid board gamers, but put ourselves on a game buying moratorium until we get some house renovations done.  That may include a custom built gaming table if we can stay under budget.

Pandemic might be our next game purchase.  We’ve been eyeing that one for a while.

• Like 1

I have Pandemic. We've played it a handful of times. It's a fun concept and like that players work together but we've been unable to win against the game. That's frustrating. So we've lost interest. We prefer Castle Panic which didn't make the list. It's also a cooperative game but we've actually won that game a few times.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

I'm out of touch. Didn't know about all these. I went down a couple game aisles recently and they don't sell all these in the stores here. Seems like a limited selection of people would know about a game that isn't in stores (assuming some of these are buy online only or maybe limited to niche stores)

That Labyrinth game looks fun.

Ds has some new-ish games, but they are card games (Minecraft, Oregon Trail, Stranger Things)

Most of the games listed are sold in big box stores around here. 

We play most of these. Blokus is quick and fun and a good filler. Quirkle is nice--fun gameplay and nice tactile feel to the tiles. I'm surprised that Carcassonne wasn't on the list--it's usually considered one of the big three gateway games, along with Catan and Ticket to Ride. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

I'm out of touch. Didn't know about all these. I went down a couple game aisles recently and they don't sell all these in the stores here. Seems like a limited selection of people would know about a game that isn't in stores (assuming some of these are buy online only or maybe limited to niche stores)

That Labyrinth game looks fun.

Ds has some new-ish games, but they are card games (Minecraft, Oregon Trail, Stranger Things)

Almost all of these are at Target.  I think Santorini is the only one I haven’t seen there, except maybe GoT Risk.  If they don’t have it, B&N probably does.

I highly recommend watching Wil Wheaton’s “Tabletop” episodes (on YouTube) to find new games and watch how they are played before investing money in them.  They are mostly 8yo+ kid friendly (a few slipped bad words get bleeped out), except the Cards Against Humanity one.

• Like 2

The list looks pretty accurate to what we enjoy playing.  WE also play a LOT of Apples to Apples Jr and Rummikub around our house  (and the Life game from when I was growing up. The current one is not near as much fun)

I will say, my kids got out Risk lately... which used to be my favorite game. But with Ticket to Ride and Pandemic, I found myself just blah on Risk and quickly sent it back to its storage.

• Like 1

My family (except me) loves both Betrayal At  House on the Hill and the sequel Betrayal At Baldur's Gate.  The players here are 48 (dh) to 13 (ds) and I wouldn't go younger.  It is just too scary for me.  But they play it constantly when 23 yo dd is home.  Dd also has a game group among her YA peers that have regular game nights.

Amber in SJ 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BarbecueMom said:

Almost all of these are at Target.  I think Santorini is the only one I haven’t seen there, except maybe GoT Risk.  If they don’t have it, B&N probably does.

I highly recommend watching Wil Wheaton’s “Tabletop” episodes (on YouTube) to find new games and watch how they are played before investing money in them.  They are mostly 8yo+ kid friendly (a few slipped bad words get bleeped out), except the Cards Against Humanity one.

Hah.  As I read through the list I decided it was purely based on sales at Target.  Last year they accidentally marked down Santorini by a lot and the gamer geeks all over the web went nuts buying it up and clearing Target's shelves.  Those who have played it have said it was a decent game, but I think most people bought it for the price but haven't actually played it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I've played a lot of those so I wasn't surprised by any of them (though like the PP I'm surprised that Carcassone wasn't on there as it's usually on the list if Catan is).

Our group is really into codenames, Avalon, 7 Wonders, Pit, Splendor (not my fav),and Bang!

We play lots of board games in our house (family of 4) and the ones we play the most are: Empire Builder, 7 Wonders (though I feel like I've overplayed it), 5 crowns, and the usual carcassone and catan.

We just received Patriots and Redcoats which I backed on Kickstarter for DH so we've been playing that every day that DH is home. It's similar to Avalon but less table talk so easier for our kids to play.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Night Elf said:

I have Pandemic. We've played it a handful of times. It's a fun concept and like that players work together but we've been unable to win against the game. That's frustrating. So we've lost interest. We prefer Castle Panic which didn't make the list. It's also a cooperative game but we've actually won that game a few times.

We've had that problem with Forbidden Desert.  We LOVED Forbidden Island, but FD has proven to be quite a bit more challenging.

We've played many of the ones on that list, although just regular Clue.  My kiddos love Codename, as well as Codename pictures (which is challenging enough for older kids/adults but can also be played by non-readers).

• Like 1

Ticket to Ride, Blokus, and Sequence are favorites here. We have Catan and played it a few times but it didn't click for us. I know playing with 4 people and no expansion kit, the recommended starting points seemed jinxed for at least one player. Would we like it any better with an expansion pack?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

Ticket to Ride, Blokus, and Sequence are favorites here. We have Catan and played it a few times but it didn't click for us. I know playing with 4 people and no expansion kit, the recommended starting points seemed jinxed for at least one player. Would we like it any better with an expansion pack?

You might like it more if you build the board randomly instead of with the beginner player setup.

• Like 3

We've played 9 of the 14 (only 14 listed now). We have original Risk and Clue, just not the HP/GOT versions. Of the other 3, 2 are on my wishlist (Codenames and Sequence) and 1 I've never heard of, Betrayal at House on the Hill.

I was a bit surprised at Go Fishing and Candy Land. We have both but there are SO many better games out there, even for littles. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Seeking Squirrels said:

We've played 9 of the 14 (only 14 listed now). We have original Risk and Clue, just not the HP/GOT versions. Of the other 3, 2 are on my wishlist (Codenames and Sequence) and 1 I've never heard of, Betrayal at House on the Hill.

I was a bit surprised at Go Fishing and Candy Land. We have both but there are SO many better games out there, even for littles. 

Maybe so. But when my kids were appropriate age... they kept asking for Candyland. So we played other games. But we played a lot of Candyland too.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

Maybe so. But when my kids were appropriate age... they kept asking for Candyland. So we played other games. But we played a lot of Candyland too.

Oh absolutely, and my 5yo only recently stopped asking for it. I'm just surprised they made a most popular list. More the fishing game than candy land. I guess it makes sense that most new families will pick up candy land at some point. I didn't think Go Fishing was that popular though. 

• Like 1

I've been enjoying reading all of your responses, so thank you!

On 6/13/2018 at 6:59 AM, HeighHo said:

Surprise: no make a word games? scrabble, upwords, banangrams, boggle..

Here's another list that you might find interesting ~

10 of the best word games to give as gifts or play at parties

Anyone here played Snippets, Dabble or Wordical?

And another list, some word games included ~

25 Board Games That Are Like Scrabble But Even Better

Anyone played WordSpiel or Latice?

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 1

I've heard of a few of them, but our all-time favorite is Catan.  We've probably been addicted to it for about 10 years now??  Whenever we have a third person around we try and play it.  ?  I've head about Ticket to Ride too, which someone else mentioned.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

Today at our game day some girls were playing this game: https://www.amazon.com/Ravensburger-Whoowasit-Award-Winning-Board-Electronics/dp/B004UKNJCM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1528960514&sr=8-1&keywords=Whowasit

It looked kinda neat, but they were having trouble hearing the box and quit early. I don't know if it was a battery issue or what. 

I love this game!  We have the app version on the iPad and it's fun.  I assume it's still available if you want to try that!

• Like 2