Menu

What eating plan are you currently on to lose weight (aka: what is WORKING?)

DawnM

40 minutes ago, Tibbie Dunbar said:

I lost a lot of weight very quickly on the Furhman plan. I've regained some, due to some stress and some old patterns of self-neglect that I didn't even realize I'd started again...for me, having figured that out, I can fight it again, so I'm back on track. The nice thing about the Fuhrman plan is that the weight falls off in sheets - it's about 10 pounds per month - so a correction doesn't take long. The ongoing challenge will be to not yo-yo again. I might see a counselor, or be more strict about daily weigh ins, or something.

Fuhrman is for people who can't do low carb (I have kidney problems from lupus), and who don't mind eating (what feels like) bushels of vegetables every day, and who can do without meat most of the time. Also, beans aren't optional. LOTS of beans.

I think low/moderate carbs would be simpler and more fun, but Fuhrman also addresses my autoimmune issues and makes me look 10 years younger, so I guess this is the plan for me.

Huh.  I haven't heard of this plan before.

Oh wait, are you talking about Eat to Live?  

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

If it would guarantee me I could not be overweight, I would love it!  Socializing or not.

It's interesting to me that you'd prefer to be a smaller size resulting from physical issues that make you feel terrible over spending time with friends/family and feeling good.  

2 minutes ago, Kassia said:

It's interesting to me that you'd prefer to be a smaller size resulting from physical issues that make you feel terrible over spending time with friends/family and feeling good.  

Oh, I didn't know you felt THAT terrible.  I thought you meant you couldn't enjoy eating with them.  Sorry.

1 minute ago, Lady Florida. said:

It's frustrating how men can lose more and more easily. It's the same with dh and me. 

But you really should consider the percentage of body weight that's being lost. Most men are bigger (heavier) than most women. So they lose more pounds but often it's very close to the same percentage of body weight.

• Like 1

I should add, too. The cliche “marathon not a sprint” applies to weight loss. Another poster refered to her 25lb weight loss in a year as slow. That’s not slow! You lose 25lbs in a year and maintain that weight loss? That’s winning at life!

Here’s how it worked for me-

2014 - Starting weight in January 274.6lbs (this was not my highest weight, I think my highest was closer to 280). Ending weight 245.8. Pounds lost 28.8

2015 - Starting weight 245.8. Ending 206.6. Pounds lost 39.2

2016 - Starting weight 206.6. Ending weight 192. Pounds lost 14.6

2017 - Starting weight 192. Ending weight 172.4. Pounds lost 19.6

2018 - I’m down about 8lbs

Lost in all that are lots of times when my weight went up. And down. And up. And down. It also doesn’t show any of the non-scale changes I made. I cut my 5k time by 10 minutes. I cut my half marathon time by 27 minutes. I wear smaller clothes. I can see bones I never saw before. I can start to see muscle definition. I’ve also got lose skin and extra body fat I’d like to say goodbye to. But I also found a tougher, stronger version of myself. I can pick any measure above and either celebrate it or consider myself a failure if I choose to. I could have given up at any point if I had chosen the negative ones. Please take the long view. It’s pretty darn sweet four years later.

• Like 14

1 minute ago, Pawz4me said:

But you really should consider the percentage of body weight that's being lost. Most men are bigger (heavier) than most women. So they lose more pounds but often it's very close to the same percentage of body weight.

Oh I know. But that's not how it feels when you're both working on losing together and he loses more. And he eats ice cream. Like Amber said, stinker. ?

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, DawnM said:

Oh, I didn't know you felt THAT terrible.  I thought you meant you couldn't enjoy eating with them.  Sorry.

Even if she did mean she couldn't enjoy eating with them, that would be a big deal.  I think about being on my deathbed and looking back at my life - I'd rather look back at fun times with family/friends than being a smaller size.  I am saying this as someone who has battled eating disorders my entire life so it's something I think about a lot and it's a daily struggle for me.  I have given up too many special experiences in my life just to be a smaller size.  It's not worth it.  Life is too short.  Unless there are health reasons, of course.   I just don't want to see anyone else go through what I have.  

As far as losing weight, I've always had my best luck with making very small changes one at a time until the change becomes a habit and then moving on to a new change.  It helps me from feeling overwhelmed and deprived this way, and it's fairly easy to maintain.  I can't even remember the way I used to eat when I was much heavier.  

8 minutes ago, mamaraby said:

Lost in all that are lots of times when my weight went up. And down. And up. And down. It also doesn’t show any of the non-scale changes I made. I cut my 5k time by 10 minutes. I cut my half marathon time by 27 minutes. I wear smaller clothes. I can see bones I never saw before. I can start to see muscle definition. I’ve also got lose skin and extra body fat I’d like to say goodbye to. But I also found a tougher, stronger version of myself. I can pick any measure above and either celebrate it or consider myself a failure if I choose to. I could have given up at any point if I had chosen the negative ones. Please take the long view. It’s pretty darn sweet four years later.

What fantastic results!  Great job mentally and physically! 

Time restricted eating/ intermittent fasting has been working for me. I am a rule keeper/ all-or-nothing personality, and this is just what I need. When it is time to eat, I eat. When it is time to fast, I fast. Nothing to think about. At the same time, I love food and especially all the stuff that is supposed to be bad for you and will not succeed on anything that makes me give it up. I generally limit my eating hours to 5 per day, fasting with only water for the other 19. Others have success with 8 hour eating windows. From what I have been reading, it is insulin that makes us fat, not calories. A couple books:

https://smile.amazon.com/Obesity-Code-Unlocking-Secrets-Weight-ebook/dp/B01C6D0LCK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1528906241&sr=8-1&keywords=obesity+code

https://smile.amazon.com/Delay-Dont-Deny-Intermittent-Lifestyle-ebook/dp/B01N4JHL1P/ref=sr_1_3?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1528906280&sr=1-3&keywords=delay+don't+deny

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Kassia said:

Even if she did mean she couldn't enjoy eating with them, that would be a big deal.  I think about being on my deathbed and looking back at my life - I'd rather look back at fun times with family/friends than being a smaller size.  I am saying this as someone who has battled eating disorders my entire life so it's something I think about a lot and it's a daily struggle for me.  I have given up too many special experiences in my life just to be a smaller size.  It's not worth it.  Life is too short.  Unless there are health reasons, of course.   I just don't want to see anyone else go through what I have.  

As far as losing weight, I've always had my best luck with making very small changes one at a time until the change becomes a habit and then moving on to a new change.  It helps me from feeling overwhelmed and deprived this way, and it's fairly easy to maintain.  I can't even remember the way I used to eat when I was much heavier.  

What fantastic results!  Great job mentally and physically! 

I said twice that I am sorry.  And I am.

My aunt is thin because she has some gastro issues, but that hasn't prevented her from spending time with people, she just has to do things differently, and many times by bringing her own food or not eating when everyone else is.  THAT is what I was picturing.  

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Kassia said:

In my case, I could still spend time with family and friends while just having a small salad or snack.  But, I'm also very definitely an introvert so I only go out with friends maybe once every month or two and we don't always go out to eat.  All my other "socializing" is with immediate family.   

ETA:  Just saw that it wasn't just about not being able to eat, but about feeling bad.  Sorry.

1 minute ago, VaKim said:

Time restricted eating/ intermittent fasting has been working for me. I am a rule keeper/ all-or-nothing personality, and this is just what I need. When it is time to eat, I eat. When it is time to fast, I fast. Nothing to think about. At the same time, I love food and especially all the stuff that is supposed to be bad for you and will not succeed on anything that makes me give it up. I generally limit my eating hours to 5 per day, fasting with only water for the other 19. Others have success with 8 hour eating windows. From what I have been reading, it is insulin that makes us fat, not calories. A couple books:

A friend of mine has had great success with IF.  After years and years of struggling with her weight she has found that this works great for her for the reasons you posted.  And I've read that IF has a lot of health benefits, too.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

I said twice that I am sorry.  And I am.

My aunt is thin because she has some gastro issues, but that hasn't prevented her from spending time with people, she just has to do things differently, and many times by bringing her own food or not eating when everyone else is.  THAT is what I was picturing.  

I apologize if I made you feel picked on.  That wasn't my intention.  It's a sensitive subject for me and I just don't want anyone to ever let life pass them by due to eating disorders the way I have.  

• Like 2

Keto.  A modified version, because I’ve been doing it almost two years (aka before it was a buzz word).  My doc suggested it.

Nothing worked for me.  I even did the fad “military diet” and starved for a month.  I didn’t lose a thing. ?

I could work out 60 mins a day, eat almost nothing and at least I’d hover at the same weight but wouldn’t  go down.

To be honest, I have hashimotos, PCOS, and Addison’s (so I take daily steroids) - the odds are not in my favor.

Enter ketogenics.  Wow.  I started seeing tiny bumps down.  My weight loss is measured in tenths of a lb, but I celebrate every tiny win!  It’s been almost two years and I’m 20 lbs down.

If I do full on keto, I lose faster.  If I do a modified, easy sort of high fat, mostly low carb I lose very slowly or at least don’t gain.

I don’t do nuts or avocado due to allergies,  and I am gluten free.  Those impact my choices re: keto foods.

It works, for me.  I’m good with the super slow weight loss, though I do envy my SIL who went on keto 6 mos ago and has lost 44 lbs.  My body doesn’t work that way.  I don’t have that much to lose, either, so maybe that’s why.

I hope you find the right plan!

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Unless you weigh more than your husband and he still loses twice as much by just skipping a meal and eating less chips.

sigh.

Yeah, that's us too. DH lost weight when he went from eating fast food for lunch to eating gas station food. Good job, sweetie. *rolls eyes* He didn't need to lose weight in the first place!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Unless you weigh more than your husband and he still loses twice as much by just skipping a meal and eating less chips.

sigh.

AND he is quite a bit taller than you are!

My husband cut out desserts.  He lost 15 pounds and he wasn't overweight to begin with but feels better at the lower end of his range, he says......and then says, "Huh, I didn't know I lost weight."  Meanwhile I would like to smack him.  Or dig a hole in the backyard for him......J/K.....kind of.

• Like 2

My three adult sons complain about how hard it is to maintain or gain weight - "it's like a part-time job!" "it's so much work!"   It's definitely frustrating to see them shoveling food in all the time just to maintain while I have to watch every bite.  

• Sad 2

When I can stick to it, i’m Finding that Trim Healthy Mama or any sort of low carb works.  My biggest problem is sticking to anything longer than a month or two. And then getting back to it when I mess up or go out or go on vacation.

and I  agree with the whole, DH can just “cut back a little” and lose 10:lbs. in a couple of weeks. My DH doesn’t have any weight to lose and he eats icecream every night. But, a lot of it is genetic. His dad is thin as a rail.  All my aunts and cousins on my dad’s side are quite plump.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, VaKim said:

https://smile.amazon.com/Obesity-Code-Unlocking-Secrets-Weight-ebook/dp/B01C6D0LCK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1528906241&sr=8-1&keywords=obesity+code

https://smile.amazon.com/Delay-Dont-Deny-Intermittent-Lifestyle-ebook/dp/B01N4JHL1P/ref=sr_1_3?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1528906280&sr=1-3&keywords=delay+don't+deny

I'm having success with this as well (8 hour eating window, 16 hour fast).  I've lost 6 lbs in a little over two months, which isn't a lot, but I wasn't significantly overweight.  What has me so excited is *where* the weight is coming off--mainly my belly. That's a first for me.  In the past when I've lost weight, my *already thin* arms, legs and face would get even thinner, but my 4-5 months pregnant-looking pot belly wouldn't budge.

Here are some things I've discovered so far from fasting. 

Don't go too quickly. I started off a little too eagerly in the beginning, thinking I should just jump right in and fast every morning until noon.  By the third morning I was weak and shaky. So I ate breakfast. From that point I ate breakfast two out of three mornings for the span of about a week.  Then every other morning for another week.  Then I fasted two out of three mornings, etc, slowly working my way to where I am now, which is fasting (pretty much) every morning.  If I wake up with a hungry feeling that lasts more than 20 minutes, I eat breakfast but that's rare.

Hunger fades away after 5-10 minutes, for me anyway. I like to think that's when my body switches over to using its fat reserves as fuel.  Maybe...who knows?  Sounds good to me!

Drink lots of water.  Sometimes I feel dehydrated even though I feel like I'm forcing myself to drink. I've discovered sprinkling a little salt in my hand and licking it off fixes this for me. Water tastes good again and the dry mouth goes away.

I like to do my yoga towards the end of my fast (in other words just before lunch) and I've found I feel stronger, more flexible and more coordinated in the fasted state than the 'fed' state. Speaking of yoga, any pose that involved having my knees up to my chest *used* to make me feel like I couldn't breathe very well.  No more! I think I've burned up some of that visceral fat that was crowding my diaphragm.

I feel much more focused and productive in the fasted state.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, DawnM said:

It isn't really a whole new way of eating, although I don't want to cut out the dairy as I have not found any substitutes for cream in coffee that I like at all.

And I have done the "cut down" method for years and years.....I honestly don't gorge or eat a lot, but I have gotten in some bad habits of what I eat, and even when I eat healthy, I don't lose.  I have a lot of weight loss issues I really don't want to get into, but I have followed WW religiously and not lost ANY weight.  

Can you do nut milks? Califia Farms makes a delicious almond milk creamer that I used to use. Some are unsweetened too.

https://www.califiafarms.com/collections/creamers?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhpXbgMPR2wIVg7jACh39VQEyEAAYASABEgJo8vD_BwE&limit=40&offset=0&utm_medium=sem&utm_source=product

5 hours ago, DawnM said:

It isn't really a whole new way of eating, although I don't want to cut out the dairy as I have not found any substitutes for cream in coffee that I like at all.

And I have done the "cut down" method for years and years.....I honestly don't gorge or eat a lot, but I have gotten in some bad habits of what I eat, and even when I eat healthy, I don't lose.  I have a lot of weight loss issues I really don't want to get into, but I have followed WW religiously and not lost ANY weight.  

((((Dawn))))

I gave up drinking hot tea, because I like cream in it, and after doing the Autoimmune Protocol (AIP) because of my Hashimoto's, I discovered that the only food that bothers me is...dairy. Just cream in my tea, one cup in the morning and one at night, for three days in a row, and my hands hurt so bad I can hardly use them. :-(

I also had problems losing weight on *anything*; it's much better since I finally found a doctor to treat my hypothyroid issues properly, but it was *hard*. I could stand to lose 10 more lb, but it was just.too.hard. to lose the 25lb I managed to lose (a whole year. and I didn't cheat, ever). I had always thought that if I could finally get my weight down to where it should be, and my thyroid was right, I should be ok, because, like you, I don't gorge or binge or anything, and with the help of thyroid drugs, that has proven to be true. So far.

• Like 2

Hang on, here. My main point of curiosity is what sort of scales do some of you have that you can have such a precise idea of weight loss? My scale is probably twnety years old and I often question its accuracy, and I routinely move it to the tile floor because I think the carpeted closet floor screws up the results. 

But even still, I “lose” or “gain” 2-4 lbs. overnight on a regular basis and I think my scale plays a role. 

22 hours ago, AmandaVT said:

Following. 

I was counting calories and eating plant based, but I wasn't losing any weight eating this way. I was sticking to 1100-1200 calories/day and being careful with my food choices (no junk). 

My PCP got me in to see a dietician, who recommended me up my protein and fat slightly and aim for 40/30/30 (carbs/protein/fat) and to raise my calories a little bit. I've gained two pounds since starting this.  ? I'm planning on calling back at the end of the week to ask what's his next idea. 

I need to lose about 40+ lbs too, so I'm not just looking to get the last few lbs off. 

I get really tired of professionals (and others) *insisting* that the right diet is 80% of losing weight.  Well, I could try any of the dozen or so popular diets--I've done that in the past!--and even if my calories are low it does not matter.  I HAVE TO EXERCISE vigorously 3x a week at least.  Not for a long time, but exercise is what does it for me and I feel so much better not depriving myself.  I have no idea why I'm like this, but I am and no one can tell me differently.  LOL  So, don't discount the importance of exercise because it *might* be more key for you than you realize.

1 hour ago, AmandaVT said:

Can you do nut milks? Califia Farms makes a delicious almond milk creamer that I used to use. Some are unsweetened too.

https://www.califiafarms.com/collections/creamers?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhpXbgMPR2wIVg7jACh39VQEyEAAYASABEgJo8vD_BwE&limit=40&offset=0&utm_medium=sem&utm_source=product

Yes, I have tried almond milk creamers too.  I don't know if I have tried that one.  I have tried a few.

59 minutes ago, 6packofun said:

I get really tired of professionals (and others) *insisting* that the right diet is 80% of losing weight.  Well, I could try any of the dozen or so popular diets--I've done that in the past!--and even if my calories are low it does not matter.  I HAVE TO EXERCISE vigorously 3x a week at least.  Not for a long time, but exercise is what does it for me and I feel so much better not depriving myself.  I have no idea why I'm like this, but I am and no one can tell me differently.  LOL  So, don't discount the importance of exercise because it *might* be more key for you than you realize.

We are all so different.  My friend is the highest weight she has ever been and she runs marathons and just finished a mini-triathalon.  She also exercises 5-6 days per week.  She cannot get the weight off!  She says the ONLY thing for her is changing  her eating drastically.

1 hour ago, Quill said:

Hang on, here. My main point of curiosity is what sort of scales do some of you have that you can have such a precise idea of weight loss? My scale is probably twnety years old and I often question its accuracy, and I routinely move it to the tile floor because I think the carpeted closet floor screws up the results. 

But even still, I “lose” or “gain” 2-4 lbs. overnight on a regular basis and I think my scale plays a role. 

I've had this scale for about three years. It seems pretty accurate. 

You should place scales on a stable, hard surface. Never on carpet.  Re-calibrate it every time you move it (on mine you do that by pushing on it with your hands to turn it on, and then let it turn itself off).

But that type of fluctuation is pretty normal. Water weight (sodium consumption), how regular you are for #2, time of month--all those play havoc with the number that shows on the scale from day to day or even week to week. You can use an app to help you make sense of daily/weekly fluctuations and give you a better idea of what's happening over time than just comparing one day to the next does. I use Happy Scale but there are lots of others. But oddly my weight doesn't fluctuate a lot. I'm post-menopausal, so that definitely makes a difference. I weigh daily and for this entire month so far my weight has only fluctuated .8 pounds.

• Like 4

LowCarb and reduced calories works for me.  I was KETO low carb for 2 years and really skinny (5’11” and size 4)...i was prob too skinny but was I was an avid runner and ran half marathons six months in a row. That was 5-6 years ago.

Turns out- keto is extreme and not sustainable (for me) long term- I didn’t ease back to moderate eating, I hit high stress from DH job loss, an 18 month stint on Zoloft for anxiety (gained 27 pounds in a year and didn’t even notice it) 

Anyway. 

I lost 24 pounds last year with low carb (50-60g), reduces calories and 3x week exercise.  Gained a bit back over holidays and have 15 to go to a slim but not skinny (sz8).

I aim for 1500 calories and 75g of carbs, max- cravings are kept at bay with 50g carbs.  It’s annoying but just the way it is. And have to be really careful when under stress as I quickly unravel.   

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hilltopmom said:

For those who are doing keto- any particular website or book you used to get your info?

I’m almost on summer vacation and have time to plan

thanks

I use Peace, Love and LowCarb...website and books written by her.  I also am a big fan of Keto Connect on youtube.   

I think I'm super successful with Keto because I fast during the day and eat one meal at dinner with my husband.   I do bullet proof coffee around 10 am and then supper with my guy.  It's what has worked for me.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Quill said:

Ours is called the EatSmart Precision digital scale. We have two of them, one in my bathroom and one in dh's, and have found them to be reliable and accurate. I think they cost about $25 at Amazon.

ETA: Looks like Pawz4me already recommended the same scale.:smile:

• Like 2

On 6/12/2018 at 7:39 PM, Selkie said:

Whole food plant based with no sugar or artificial sweeteners. Dh and I have both lost 40 pounds over the past several months eating this way and feel great.

Would you elaborate on what you guys eating?  I keep seeing those words used a lot people have such different ideas on what it is.

I WISH I could loose 40lbs in several months...

I have pretty easily lost 43 lbs in the past 5.5 months, and it's been at a very steady rate of 1-2 lbs a week. I have been using the app iTrackBites with the old WW SmartPoints program. It's basically calorie counting (1200 cal for my 30 pts), but with an emphasis on portion size and recognition that all calories aren't created equal - so lean proteins have low points because they are filling and stabilize blood sugar, and refined sugars are really high points because they cause a big insulin response. It adds just enough intelligence to CICO that it helps me without making it overly complicated. And since nothing is forbidden, I can make my own choices about what to eat without going "off plan" or "being bad" (as my mom loves to say, sigh).  I've gone down two sizes (pants, shirts, and bras).

This system works for me because it is just a budget, and that makes total intuitive sense - I can save up my calories to eat something "expensive" or I can eat moderately for every meal. Both are totally fine. As long as I stay within my budget & eat well, then I know I'm making healthy choices and the weight will eventually follow. I'm also pretty determined to not do anything now that I'm not willing to do for the rest of my life. No temporary changes. 

I had tried just watching portions and making healthy choices, but I really need the accountability of tracking each bite to make progress. I think my appetite was just way out of sync and couldn't be trusted, so I needed outside data to guide me.

I have made a lot of small changes, but these are the ones that I think have helped the most:

• I gave up shopping in local Belgian stores for everything but produce, because the nutritional info doesn't scan into my app, and SO MUCH FOOD has added sugar. I switched to American food from the commissary, which works much better for me. I scan things before I buy them.
  • I found substitutes for a few staples - I eat low-sugar oatmeal, fat-free Greek style yogurt, Laughing Cow cheese wedges (I use them instead of cheese/mayo), Flatout wraps, Kodiak pancake mix, sugar-free maple syrup, 100-cal popcorn, etc.
  • I use a food scale to weigh almost everything! I weigh out my Grape Nuts, Pretzel Thins, PB2, yogurt, etc (I don't weigh zero-point fruits & veg, or labeled stuff like wraps or oatmeal packets). And I track everything!
  • I have regular mealtimes: coffee when I wake up, breakfast at around 8:30, lunch at noon, snack at 3, dinner at 6. I don't eat after dinner, so I usually have 14 hours of fasting between dinner & breakfast. Sometimes I have cinnamon herbal tea after dinner if I want something.
  • I drink a lot of water, all day long. Yes, I have to get up to pee at night, but oh well. It really does help my stomach register that it is full. So many times I will eat my meal and still feel like I am hungry, then I drink a glass of water and the switch flips to full.
  • I try to have a fruit with breakfast, veg with lunch, fruit or veg with snack, and 2x veg with dinner. This helps keep me full and gets me my 5-a-day.
  • My meals are kind of predictable - I have a few choices for breakfast that are 4-6 points, a few choices for lunch that are 6-10 points, I eat a snack that is 3-5 points, and I keep dinner to about 8-12 points. If I have leftover points and am still hungry, I will have a dessert. If I have leftover points but am not hungry, I go back and add up the calories. If I've had at least 1200, then I just stay under budget.
  • I have point-friendly desserts available when I want them, but only eat them if I am hungry and have room for them in my budget. I have 110-cal Lil' Drumstick ice cream cones, 90-cal FiberOne bars & brownies, and sugar-free pudding powder mixed into plain yogurt (YUM). I don't use food as a reward and generally try to not have dessert two days in a row.
  • I really don't eat away from home, especially as it's nearly impossible to get nutritional information from restaurants here.
  • I have a meal plan and shop for about a week at a time. I cook fish, chicken, turkey, a little pork, and lots of beans. I rarely cook beef. I still eat brown rice and whole-wheat pasta, but maybe twice a week, and only a half-cup serving. I calculate the calories/points for my recipes.
  • I stopped eating gouda, real peanut butter, and alcohol. They just aren't worth the calories to me. I can eat them if I want to, but they lost their allure. Same with chocolate - I actually have a huge stash from Christmas and from traveling to England where they sell all the lovely Cadbury bars, but I just don't eat them.
  • I became much more active (though it hasn't changed my weight loss rate at all). I got an easily-bored dog (Basenji) and walk him twice a day. I got a Fitbit watch with HR monitor, and apparently I have the resting heart rate of an athlete (haha!). It has a default goal of 30 active minutes per day, and I've been averaging around 100. I get about 10-15k steps a day; 20k when I am out of the house more.

I only told a couple of people that I was working on getting healthier, and only a couple people have noticed that I've lost weight (or they think they are being polite by not commenting). My mom just came to visit and was shocked when she saw me, which felt pretty good ;).

• Like 5

16 hours ago, AmandaVT said:

I think that sounds like solid advice, thank you! I'm short, so 2 lbs feels like a lot to me. It's been 3 weeks, so not quite a month. I can definitely give it another week or so. I don't mind eating this way at all, I just wish it was translating into weight loss! 

A typical day for me (I am vegetarian and don't do eggs)

B: smoothie w/ berries, unsweetened almond milk, 1/4 c plain whole milk yogurt and a scoop of protein powder (dietician recommended). I was eating oatmeal with blueberries, but the dietician recommended I switch to a smoothie for more protein.

L: salad with lots of greens and veg, 1/4 avocado, cottage cheese, sometimes chickpeas, dressing (varies)

snack: 1/2 c grapes, small handful of pistachios or almonds

D : greens (last night was a blend of swiss chard and collards from a friend), garlic, other veggies, gardein chick'n (good source of protein) and about 1/2 c brown rice

Overall, pretty healthy. I don't drink my calories - black coffee in the morning, water or unsweetened iced tea the rest of the day, with a seltzer on occasion.

That actually looks like a fair number of calories. The whole milk yogurt, protein powder, avocado, (whole fat?) cottage cheese, salad dressing, nuts, brown rice ... not saying that they are unhealthy, but all of them in one day really can add up. Are you using an app + food scale to scan labels and measure portions?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, AmandaVT said:

scoop of protein powder (dietician recommended). I was eating oatmeal with blueberries, but the dietician recommended I switch to a smoothie for more protein.

What protein powder do you use?

On 6/13/2018 at 12:12 AM, Tammy in Tennessee said:

I've been doing Keto...it's worked very well for me.  I've lost 88 pounds and I'm now 7 lbs from my goal.    I'm able to run/walk/hike and lots of outdoor sports.  

That's awesome! I lost 60lbs on Keto, but gained some of it back during a bad bout of seasonal depression. I've since lost some of what I gained back and am close enough to my goal weight that all of my goal clothes fit. I find Keto is something that is easy for me to stick to meal-wise - I love salads with salmon and avocado, steaks and asparagus, broccoli with cream sauce, etc. My problem comes when I get depressed and end up eating a bunch of chocolate (a problem no matter what eating plan you're on). But, generally speaking, it's great to be able to see the pounds come off and not be hungry all the time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ondreeuh said:

That actually looks like a fair number of calories. The whole milk yogurt, protein powder, avocado, (whole fat?) cottage cheese, salad dressing, nuts, brown rice ... not saying that they are unhealthy, but all of them in one day really can add up. Are you using an app + food scale to scan labels and measure portions?

It didn't seem like that much to me, looking at the quantity I guessed it was less than what I eat now and around what I ate losing weight. I figured her chickpeas and cottage cheese at 1/2 c, almonds at 1/4 c (for nuts), dressing at 160c (which is a serving of higher calorie dressing that I have) and veggies at 120 (big variance between potatoes and greens and an amount wasn't specified so I aimed higher). All of that came to 1475. Of course,  that is assuming that all servings were measured and veggies and chickpeas were without oil. I lose weight easily on 1500 calories and cannot stay that low for long without feeling it.  That goes to show how individual it is. I was meticulous about measuring and counting everything but I did not weigh my food, I didn't find I needed to go that far, but maybe the pp does. I do think journaling in some way is key because otherwise, you can lose track.  When I lost weight from Depo I journaled, when I lost weight from my pregnancies I journaled, but journalling requires that you are very honest with yourself. The other day I was thinking you know I really haven't eaten that much (and I'm only sporadically tracking now b/c I've not been actively trying to lose- although have been shifting down a bit and am aiming for 1 lb loss this month- to hit a milestone number) I went to tally it up and realized when I was trying to do my mental tally I kept forgetting things and I had eaten just enough for the day. It is easy to forget things and as mentioned it is easy to cheat on measuring.

There is a ton of info out there I just read a book called The Hungry Brain- which was entirely too detailed about the brain science on eating, weight loss etc. I'll throw out his points, fwiw, in case any of them are helpful. Most of this is common sense but often not practiced in our culture. I was at a conference this weekend and we were told to bring snacks and of course, everyone is sitting around all day eating said snacks when the meals provided were buffet style. I overate the first day and felt miserable, even with practicing some self-constraint and not having any of the sugary drinks available. 

1-Fix your food environment- remove calorie dense easy to grab foods in your home and work, especially those that are readily visible on counters and tables. That includes chips and cookies but also things like salted nuts (high calorie easy to overeat). Reduce your exposure to food advertising. Create barriers to eating- fruit in peels, nuts in shells, if you are really hungry it will be worth it. The most stringent is to have only food that has to be cooked.

2. Manage your appetite- if your brain thinks you are starving you will eventually break down. Eat foods that send strong satiety signals to the brain for a moderate number of calories. Foods that have a lower calorie density, higher protein and/or fiber content, and a moderate level of palatability.  Fresh fruit, vegetables, potatoes, fresh meats, seafood, eggs, yogurt, whole grains, and beans. Foods based on white flour in particular have a high calorie density and low fiber are definitely off the menu. 

3. Beware of food reward- the brain values foods that contain calorie dense combos of fat, sugar, starch, protein, salt etc and makes your motivation to eat these kinds of foods high, independent of hunger, that is why it is easy to overeat ice cream, brownies, french fries, bacon etc. When you eat simple foods less dense and closer to their natural states. Not everyone finds the same foods rewarding but most people know their problem foods.

4. Make sleep a priority. 

5. Move your body. Do it every day if possible, choose activities that fit in your schedule. 

6. Manage stress. Identify if you are a stress eater. Identify stressors; try to mitigate stress- can you fix it or avoid it- make a plan to help mitigate it- even if you can't change it taking some control may reduce the drive to eat; practice mindful meditation; replace stress eating with other coping mechanisms- calling a friend, exercising, taking a bath, etc; remove high-calorie reward foods 

• Like 4

I've tried several different things but I am soooo not good at following rules or keeping track of stuff. Weight watchers helped me lose about 5 ( I gained it back) pounds by just paying attention but I can't keep up with the counting points stuff.  I'm also not good at denying myself a cookie occasionally so most of the others won't work. Instead what has worked (down 15 pounds) is most of the time I eat chicken, rice, and veggies with various spices.  I eat pretty much as much as I want of this because its 50-75% veggies and very little fat added in.  I can still have a cookie, just did actually, but it's rare. I don't eat out unless it's absolutely necessary, like we're ate out for the whole time we were in New Orleans and Florida.  I still try to maker better choices. Salads, plain chicken, beans and rice, (I only ate 2 beignets). 

This isn't all that different then the way I already ate. I just cut way back on the meat and sauces and potatoes.  It's easy for me, I like what I'm eating and I can usually still cook for the family.... I have 1 vegan child, 1 meat lover, and DH who is almost vegetarian.

• Like 2

I cut down on starches and I see weight loss, so I currently try to limit myself to 4-5 servings of starches a day, about 1400-1600 calories per day.  When I close in on goal weight, that number of calories has to come down to 1400-ish.  But it comes of slowly but surely, as long as I do not over-indulge the starches.

On 6/13/2018 at 2:14 PM, Ellie said:

((((Dawn))))

I gave up drinking hot tea, because I like cream in it, and after doing the Autoimmune Protocol (AIP) because of my Hashimoto's, I discovered that the only food that bothers me is...dairy. Just cream in my tea, one cup in the morning and one at night, for three days in a row, and my hands hurt so bad I can hardly use them. ?

I also had problems losing weight on *anything*; it's much better since I finally found a doctor to treat my hypothyroid issues properly, but it was *hard*. I could stand to lose 10 more lb, but it was just.too.hard. to lose the 25lb I managed to lose (a whole year. and I didn't cheat, ever). I had always thought that if I could finally get my weight down to where it should be, and my thyroid was right, I should be ok, because, like you, I don't gorge or binge or anything, and with the help of thyroid drugs, that has proven to be true. So far.

Don't know if this is helpful, but a tea bag steeped in hot almond milk is the only creamer free way I like my tea. It's like a tea latte and is pretty good.

I usually cheat and use the dairy free powdered creamer junk. Bad for you, I know. Ugh.

One thing I decided when I was on Medifast.   I want my diet to be one that I'd be willing DD to eat the same food.   That was a problem with the Medifast franken-foods.   When I first started Keto, I noticed that the food was very similar to the Failure To Thrive recipe list.   DD isn't failure to thrive, but I'm still OK with her eating that way.  

Plus, when it is just DD and I, we often eat off the same plate.  

Low carb does work for me, but much more slowly than it did in my 30's and 40's. Menopause makes it much harder to lose weight. I do have to watch portion sizes now. I do best with a couple days a week in very low carb/keto, then the rest more moderate. 

Also due to back and knee troubles, my ability to exercise is more limited.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

Low carb does work for me, but much more slowly than it did in my 30's and 40's. Menopause makes it much harder to lose weight. I do have to watch portion sizes now. I do best with a couple days a week in very low carb/keto, then the rest more moderate. 

Same here. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

Same with me too.  Low Carb was always my go-to way to lose weight and feel great.  But, the weight doesn't come off so easily.  I'm combining 5:2 diet with Low Carb.   I just started it so I can't say how well it works long-term.  

• Like 2

On 6/13/2018 at 2:53 PM, jemsmom said:

I'm having success with this as well (8 hour eating window, 16 hour fast).  I've lost 6 lbs in a little over two months, which isn't a lot, but I wasn't significantly overweight.  What has me so excited is *where* the weight is coming off--mainly my belly. That's a first for me.  In the past when I've lost weight, my *already thin* arms, legs and face would get even thinner, but my 4-5 months pregnant-looking pot belly wouldn't budge.

It's great to hear about people having good results with this.  I've done 5:2 in the past and successfully lost weight but I just couldn't stay with the program long-term.  About a month ago I started limiting eating to an 8hr window.  So far I haven't lost much (maybe a pound or two -- I'm trying to lose 15)  but it sure seems like I'm eating less, so I continue to be hopeful.  

One thing that is tricky for me is that I love to work out and the only time I have to do that is early morning.  At the same time, I can't really skip dinner with the family.  So 6 days a week I get up at 5:30 am to work out hard for an hour, but then I don't eat until 11:30 or noon.  I'm guessing this is not ideal but I can't make it work any other way.  

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

I’m in peri (likely to be full blown menopause, soon since it’s been close to a year since my last cycle) and weight loss is next to impossible. At this point it seems like all my dieting does is stave off weight gain to the tune of 1-2 lbs. a month.

Something to add that is not a diet plan... 

Take care of yourself in other ways while you are dieting. Start changing your mindset that your body is worth it; you are worth it. I am not a mani/pedi girl, but I love long bubble baths. Find what you makes your body feel good (not food) and indulge. Take care of your skin. You do not need expensive products. You can get facemasks super cheap on Amazon, etc... Just remember your body is amazing because you are amazing so love your body. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JennyD said:

It's great to hear about people having good results with this.  I've done 5:2 in the past and successfully lost weight but I just couldn't stay with the program long-term.  About a month ago I started limiting eating to an 8hr window.  So far I haven't lost much (maybe a pound or two -- I'm trying to lose 15)  but it sure seems like I'm eating less, so I continue to be hopeful.  

One thing that is tricky for me is that I love to work out and the only time I have to do that is early morning.  At the same time, I can't really skip dinner with the family.  So 6 days a week I get up at 5:30 am to work out hard for an hour, but then I don't eat until 11:30 or noon.  I'm guessing this is not ideal but I can't make it work any other way.  

Actually, from what I am reading, that is the ideal time to work out.