Menu

What eating plan are you currently on to lose weight (aka: what is WORKING?)

DawnM

Following. 

I was counting calories and eating plant based, but I wasn't losing any weight eating this way. I was sticking to 1100-1200 calories/day and being careful with my food choices (no junk). 

My PCP got me in to see a dietician, who recommended me up my protein and fat slightly and aim for 40/30/30 (carbs/protein/fat) and to raise my calories a little bit. I've gained two pounds since starting this.  ? I'm planning on calling back at the end of the week to ask what's his next idea. 

I need to lose about 40+ lbs too, so I'm not just looking to get the last few lbs off. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AmandaVT said:

Following. 

I was counting calories and eating plant based, but I wasn't losing any weight eating this way. I was sticking to 1100-1200 calories/day and being careful with my food choices (no junk). 

My PCP got me in to see a dietician, who recommended me up my protein and fat slightly and aim for 40/30/30 (carbs/protein/fat) and to raise my calories a little bit. I've gained two pounds since starting this.  ? I'm planning on calling back at the end of the week to ask what's his next idea. 

I need to lose about 40+ lbs too, so I'm not just looking to get the last few lbs off. 

Right there with you on the not losing no matter what I am doing thing.

And I know, even with Whole30, I really need to watch the calories and fat.  500 calories in nuts can come awfully fast!

• Like 1

Same thing I've been on for the last 30 years to maintain my weight (after having lost 60+ pounds). It's definitely not trendy and doesn't have any catchy name. I call it the "anything I want in moderation, making sure that over time calorie intake is equal to or less than what my body burns" plan.

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

Same thing I've been on for the last 30 years to maintain my weight (after having lost 60+ pounds). It's definitely not trendy and doesn't have any catchy name. I call it the "anything I want in moderation, making sure that over time calorie intake is equal to or less than what my body burns" plan.

Doesn’t roll off the tongue, though. I don’t see a book deal coming. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

Low quantity.

Actually I have an ulcer that doesn’t want to go away and the matching nonexistent appetite.  Which ends up being essentially a low quantity diet.  TBH, I think the recommended servings are probably too high for a lot of people in every category, maybe even the veggies.

• Like 1

I was losing weight by limiting wheat, dairy, and sugar, plus walking the dog twice a day and doing yard work.  Then we had several family get-togethers.  Then the weather got hot and/or rainy, and I didn't walk the dog as much.  And now I'm back to where I started.  Back to limiting wheat, dairy, and sugar, plus walking the dog and doing yard work. 

Moderate carb (50-75g total carb), moderate fat, high protein seems to be working-I’ve lost 35 lbs since January.  Having said that, I had gained a lot of weight due to thyroid, and we finally seem to have found an amount and combo that works, and the goal was less to lose weight and more to keep blood sugar stable and hopefully keep me in the honeymoon phase of LADA as long as possible. 

28 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

The ONLY time this worked, I was very hungry all the time.  I was thin for about 20 minutes in my 20s and I ate whatever I wanted, but I had to eat so little of it, if it wasn't "diet" food, that I was very hungry all the time.  

I have lost weight twice in my life.  Once on a "eat whatever" diet (aka: you better leave before I eat you because I am so hungry! diet) and I lost on the "count everything that goes in your mouth and don't eat high fat, any sugar, any bread, or anything that isn't completely satisfying but boring."

Sigh....it all sucks.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, klmama said:

I was losing weight by limiting wheat, dairy, and sugar, plus walking the dog twice a day and doing yard work.  Then we had several family get-togethers.  Then the weather got hot and/or rainy, and I didn't walk the dog as much.  And now I'm back to where I started.  Back to limiting wheat, dairy, and sugar, plus walking the dog and doing yard work. 

That actually sounds similar to Whole 30.

No S, but I'm not militant about it.  I'll permit the occasional sweet during the week, but I balance it out by not observing the actual S-days when you're supposed to be permitted.  I also permit myself a smart snack if it's a ways to meal time and I'm feeling a headache coming on.  (Things like nuts or dried fruit instead of chips.)

The only thing I'm really hard core about is no seconds.  I try to fill my plate smartly the first time and I never need to go back for more. 

I'm down about 30 pounds since last fall.

And no, exercise is not a part of my regimen. 

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, DawnM said:

I am looking at starting Whole 30.  It is low carb to an extent but allows for fruit, sweet potatoes, etc....which looks far more doable to me.

What are you on?  

Weight Watchers. Because it is food I can actually eat as opposed to buying food from Medifast or Jenny Craig or Nutrisystem--all of which I have done in the past. None of the other methods helped (e.g., Atkins, the Zone, Trim Healthy Mom).

My thyroid is shot. Weight loss has been devilishly difficult. I have finally, however, found a doctor who is medicating me properly (e.g., prescribes a boatload of Armour/NatureThroid); so although it was still devilishly difficult to lose the weight (a year to lose 25lb), I am able to maintain that weight loss,  which I was not able to do with the others (before proper medical thyroid help). Also, I know what a "serving" looks like, lol. I eat much more like keto/Atkins/high fat/low carb, but I still watch my portions.  THM might work for me now, but honestly, it was way too much like work for me. :-)

I've lost about 85 pounds over the last year. While I started with low carb, I changed to moderate carb quickly so I wouldn't change weight back every time I ate some carbs. Honestly, I think every person is just different. Exercise has helped me the most. I started playing tennis and now I play a lot, even when it's 90 degrees or more. 

• Like 1

I lost a lot on the old weight watchers points system.  That worked as long as I did it.

A friend of mine has lost 101 pounds over 30 months on wirght watchers.  She is only 5' tall and went from a bigger 3x to a size 10/12/medium.   She walks the dog, walks with friends and just does the newer weight watchers program.

• Like 1

I'm torn between trying Weight Watchers again or No S or watching what I eat carefully and upping exercise.  I'm probably leaning toward at least trying the last one, at least for the summer when it tends to be easier for me.  Winter is very very rough for me to try and eat lightly or exercise.

Honestly, the only thing that has worked for me in the past was when I worked full time doing stock work - so 8 hours 5 days a week of non-stop bending, lifting and moving.  And it was a 3am to 11am shift so I wasn't eating breakfast on waking up, just having a light meal around 7 am and lunch at noon.   I was also going to school full time the two days I wasn't working.  And getting a divorce and adjusting to being a single mom.   And I'm one of those people when I'm really really depressed I don't eat.   I hide in books or watching movies and forget to eat.

So, very small food intake, a ton of exercise, no time to sit around and snack, and I was almost 20 years younger.   I did lose 50-ish pounds in about 6 months but I certainly can't replicate that.  I kept it off until I got pregnant and had two kids in two years.

I have lost 6 pounds in 4 months, and about 10 pounds since the beginning of the year.  The first two months I wonder if I was just bloated, I don’t quite count it.  

I looked at calories for everything at home, and two items I have cut out.  I have eaten them here and there but it used to be several times a week.

I have cut back on white bread and pasta.  I have switched to corn tortillas and brown rice.  It’s about the same difference.  Corn tortillas have really grown on me.  

I have added some healthy meals.  I have two baked chicken recipes now that are easy.  Rub with oil and top with salsa or barbecue sauce.  Bake 30 minutes.  My kids like barbecue sauce, my husband likes salsa.  I serve this with brown rice and then have leftover rice for fried rice the next day.  

I have made-ahead some soups and had them for lunch for a few days.  

It has really helped me to track weight on my Fitbit app.  It makes losing 6 pounds in 4 months seem like it’s good!  It also shows an average line so when I have random higher weights it doesn’t seem bad because it doesn’t change the average line.  

• Like 1

I’m following the Keto diet. I’ve lost 17 pounds since May 6th. It’s the only time I’ve stayed on a diet more than three hours. Lol. I’m not sure if it’s the diet, or the fact that I realized just how much weight I’d gained. I stay below 15 carbs and 1200 calories most days. Breakfast consists of bulletproof coffee. The only way I stray from the plan is with my Diet Coke. 

• Like 1

I've been doing Keto.   I've found it to work amazingly well for me.  I was born in the 70', so I was a teen (and natural height of worries about weight) during the FAT IS BAD thing.  I never paid attention to it, but I must have ingrained some of it.  When I tried Atkins when that was new, it worked a little bit, but I suspect I ate too much protein and not enough fat, excess protein can turn into carbs, which explains my impossibility of getting into Ketosis.   So, it has been a mental shift this adding fat thing.   But, I've found that I ate soooo much less now that I make sure to add fat.  I like that it is real food, it makes it so much easier to eat with people.   I look forward to fruit when I'm close to goal weight, but I think I can contently eat precisely as I am for a long time.   We have chickens, and deviled eggs are good thing on Keto.    More proof God loves us.   

• Like 3

4 hours ago, AmandaVT said:

Following. 

Ok, so I’m not a nutritionist and I don’t play one on TV, but what about starting from what you know. Pretty low cal doesn’t work. 40/30/30 doesn’t work. What if you took that as a starting point and messed around with it for a bit. How long have you been following the dietician’s plan? I’d give it a good solid 4 weeks at least unless I gained a crazy huge amount of weight. For me, I’d start being concerned at 7lbs and I’d start tweaking at 10lbs. 2lbs is just too little to hit the panic button because there are enough other factors that could cause it.

If you’ve stuck with it for at least a month then maybe I’d consider adjusting, but I’d probably give it two months. Then, if I were adjusting, I’d look at small changes and I’d pick one thing to change. Less fat, more protein? Less fat, keep protein the same, a few more whole carbs? Working towards satiety with lower calorie density? Work that one thing for a month or two at least. Changing a bunch of stuff makes it difficult to see what’s working and what’s not.

This is generally how I lost 110-ish lbs. I have 30-ish to go and it’s how I’ll lose the rest. I lose mine slowly (this is year four). 40lbs would have me expecting at least two years. Faster is nice, but faster, ime is just not sustainable. Satisfying is subjective. Tastebuds change. The Biggest Loser is a lie. There is no magic pill. Work it like it’s n=1 and just keep on keeping on. I think that about covers it.

• Like 8

While I’ve never technically been overweight, I’m very small boned and just feel lots better on the low end of the normal range for my height. What always work for me when I’ve put on some unwanted weight is no sugar, simple carbs, or junk food at all, primarily just real, whole food with plenty of protein, adequate fat, and limited carbs. I actually find it far easier to go cold turkey than moderate, especially at first. I also try to drink virtually no calories, just some occasional Fairlife milk. Also, adding back in weight lifting and/or weight bearing exercises. I always walk a ton, but go through periods of not doing enough other exercising.

• Like 3

Keto. I used it last summer to lose 15 pounds and then just was militant about what I ate to lose another 10. I added in swimming and weights. It was a lifestyle change. 

I kept it off all year and now want to lose another 10. I have done Keto for 2 weeks and have lost 8 pounds. I got a fit bit to encourage me to be more active throughout the day and not just at the gym. 

Once you get past the third day of the diet, you feel so much better. I am dairy free so Keto is very challenging. I love avocado with pepper and cucumber. Vary your salads! 

I am going to Germany soon and know that I will gain weight there so I am prepared to come back and hit it again. 

• Like 2

I've not been officially overweight but thyroid issues have led to some weight gain. The biggest thing for me is to keep my thyroid lined out. After that- I went old school and counted calories. Way back when I put on 20 + lbs w/ Depo Provera I lost it watching serving sizes, eating regular meals and eating more real food and food journaling. So, I decided to go back to that while working on lining out my thyroid again. I try to eat plenty of veggies b/c they are good for you and fiber gives a feeling of satiety. I eat mostly homemade food. I don't have any forbidden food except for gluten (but I wouldn't if I tolerated it). I watch serving sizes, although fruits and veggies I eat as much as I want and if I'm indulging in a treat I might only eat a half a serving (like chocolate and ice cream).  I average around an hour a day of exercise, some of that very low-intensity walking, some weight lifting, some biking, some interval work. Although the science is mixed on exercise helping you lose weight people that keep weight off report averaging an hour of exercise a week. However, that is something to work up to. I'd focus primarily on the food first and getting in whatever extra movement you can, walking is good.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Frances said:

While I’ve never technically been overweight, I’m very small boned and just feel lots better on the low end of the normal range for my height. What always work for me when I’ve put on some unwanted weight is no sugar, simple carbs, or junk food at all, primarily just real, whole food with plenty of protein, adequate fat, and limited carbs. I actually find it far easier to go cold turkey than moderate, especially at first. I also try to drink virtually no calories, just some occasional Fairlife milk. Also, adding back in weight lifting and/or weight bearing exercises. I always walk a ton, but go through periods of not doing enough other exercising.

I rarely drink my calories either, although a nice Frappaccino sounds good!  LOL!  But I don't drink soda, energy drinks, or juices.

• Like 1

I also used to tolerate things better than I can now.  Age does some numbers on a body and mind!  I used to be ok with being hungry, I actually kind of liked the feeling, knowing I was losing.

But now, I can't seem to tolerate being hungry like I used to.  In fact, if I go to bed hungry, I wake up around 3am starving and can't get back to bed.  Since I am now working full time, I can't nap later.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DawnM said:

I also used to tolerate things better than I can now.  Age does some numbers on a body and mind!  I used to be ok with being hungry, I actually kind of liked the feeling, knowing I was losing.

But now, I can't seem to tolerate being hungry like I used to.  In fact, if I go to bed hungry, I wake up around 3am starving and can't get back to bed.  Since I am now working full time, I can't nap later.  

I'm pretty much the opposite.

When I was younger no way could I go to bed hungry. I couldn't sleep. Either I couldn't go to sleep or I'd wake up at 3:00 a.m. starving and couldn't go back to sleep. I needed a fairly large dinner and maybe a bed time snack to sleep well.

Now if I go to bed with much of anything on my stomach I wake up feeling bloated, stuffed and just all over awful the next morning. I try to eat dinner no later than 6:00 and I try not to eat anything else afterwards. If I eat later than that, even something light, I know I'll feel terrible the next morning.

9 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

I'm pretty much the opposite.

When I was younger no way could I go to bed hungry. I couldn't sleep. Either I couldn't go to sleep or I'd wake up at 3:00 a.m. starving and couldn't go back to sleep. I needed a fairly large dinner and maybe a bed time snack to sleep well.

Now if I go to bed with much of anything on my stomach I wake up feeling bloated, stuffed and just all over awful the next morning. I try to eat dinner no later than 6:00 and I try not to eat anything else afterwards. If I eat later than that, even something light, I know I'll feel terrible the next morning.

Sigh.  I wish.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mamaraby said:

Ok, so I’m not a nutritionist and I don’t play one on TV, but what about starting from what you know. Pretty low cal doesn’t work. 40/30/30 doesn’t work. What if you took that as a starting point and messed around with it for a bit. How long have you been following the dietician’s plan? I’d give it a good solid 4 weeks at least unless I gained a crazy huge amount of weight. For me, I’d start being concerned at 7lbs and I’d start tweaking at 10lbs. 2lbs is just too little to hit the panic button because there are enough other factors that could cause it.

If you’ve stuck with it for at least a month then maybe I’d consider adjusting, but I’d probably give it two months. Then, if I were adjusting, I’d look at small changes and I’d pick one thing to change. Less fat, more protein? Less fat, keep protein the same, a few more whole carbs? Working towards satiety with lower calorie density? Work that one thing for a month or two at least. Changing a bunch of stuff makes it difficult to see what’s working and what’s not.

This is generally how I lost 110-ish lbs. I have 30-ish to go and it’s how I’ll lose the rest. I lose mine slowly (this is year four). 40lbs would have me expecting at least two years. Faster is nice, but faster, ime is just not sustainable. Satisfying is subjective. Tastebuds change. The Biggest Loser is a lie. There is no magic pill. Work it like it’s n=1 and just keep on keeping on. I think that about covers it.

I think that sounds like solid advice, thank you! I'm short, so 2 lbs feels like a lot to me. It's been 3 weeks, so not quite a month. I can definitely give it another week or so. I don't mind eating this way at all, I just wish it was translating into weight loss! 

A typical day for me (I am vegetarian and don't do eggs)

B: smoothie w/ berries, unsweetened almond milk, 1/4 c plain whole milk yogurt and a scoop of protein powder (dietician recommended). I was eating oatmeal with blueberries, but the dietician recommended I switch to a smoothie for more protein.

L: salad with lots of greens and veg, 1/4 avocado, cottage cheese, sometimes chickpeas, dressing (varies)

snack: 1/2 c grapes, small handful of pistachios or almonds

D : greens (last night was a blend of swiss chard and collards from a friend), garlic, other veggies, gardein chick'n (good source of protein) and about 1/2 c brown rice

Overall, pretty healthy. I don't drink my calories - black coffee in the morning, water or unsweetened iced tea the rest of the day, with a seltzer on occasion.

7 minutes ago, AmandaVT said:

I think that sounds like solid advice, thank you! I'm short, so 2 lbs feels like a lot to me. It's been 3 weeks, so not quite a month. I can definitely give it another week or so. I don't mind eating this way at all, I just wish it was translating into weight loss! 

B: smoothie w/ berries, unsweetened almond milk, 1/4 c plain whole milk yogurt and a scoop of protein powder (dietician recommended). I was eating oatmeal with blueberries, but the dietician recommended I switch to a smoothie for more protein.

L: salad with lots of greens and veg, 1/4 avocado, cottage cheese, sometimes chickpeas, dressing (varies)

D : greens (last night was a blend of swiss chard and collards from a friend), garlic, other veggies, gardein chick'n (good source of protein) and about 1/2 c brown rice

Overall, pretty healthy. I don't drink my calories - black coffee in the morning, water or unsweetened iced tea the rest of the day, with a seltzer on occasion.

I’m vegan so I feel ya. A couple of tweaks that work for me that you might consider - 

Snoothies are pretty easy calories. You've done all the work and made those calories a lot more likely to be absorbed. If you liked oatmeal before, you could always eat that and add your protein powder to it. Top your oatmeal with your yogurt and berries. Another option is to mix your yogurt and protein powder and top with the berries. Chew your calories and see if that helps.

Beyond Meat has chicken-less strips. They’re more expensive, but lower in fat and higher in protein.

It’s just that two pounds could be a lot of things like water weight or hormones or the moon. I mean, probably not the moon, but you get my drift.

And if you don’t have any physical activity, I’d add something in. Walking works. Biking. Swimming. Doesn’t have to be crazy high impact, but should be something you enjoy. I’m betting your goal is more than just the number on the scale. You could lose weight and still have high body fat. Physical activity helps in that regard. It may not make you gave crazy muscle definition, but it’s going to tell your body some pretty important things that helps out in the long run. Mainly - hey, keep those muscles. We need them.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, AmandaVT said:

One thing that jumps out at me is that you're measuring. It's often inaccurate, and from what I hear most people tend to wayyyyyy over measure. So half a cup is really three quarters, and three quarters is really a cup, etc. You might consider getting a scale and start weighing your portions. It's MUCH more accurate.  Some people think that's a little over the top and don't want to go that far. And I totally understand. But as someone who is super short and has hypothyroidism--even though I've maintained my weight loss for over thirty years I still have to occasionally check in with myself to make sure I'm being honest about my portion sizes. Weighing is the only way to accurately do that. I like weighing food so much better than measuring that for most of my cooking now I weigh out stuff rather than measure.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, DawnM said:

If it would guarantee me I could not be overweight, I would love it!  Socializing or not.

What about starting from where you are right now. Instead of taking on a whole new way of eating, what if you focused on working within what’s already normal for you? Because of those I know who lost weight and maintained that weight loss, a “diet” wasn’t how they did it unless that “diet” allowed them some semblance of normalcy. Or rather that the changes made moved what was normal over time.

How drastically different from how you eat on a regular basis is Whole30? What are you eliminating? How many changes will you need to make? And finally, how much weight are we talking about?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

You might not, really. It's a big hassle for socializing. 

Oh my gosh yes.  It’s awkward and embarrassing being the one ordering ice water and a cup of soup at a dinner outing while everyone else is having cocktails and wine and appetizers and different entrees to swap tastes and dessert.  I can’t eat like that, ever, not even for special occasions.  Even a small bowl of soup is more than I usually have for dinner.  If I eat more, I end up sitting there breathing through severe nausea or going home early.  Or puking.  Big mood killer.

• Sad 1

Counting calories is working slowly but it's working. I've been losing 1/4 to 1/2 pound a week. My plan was for 1/2 pound a week but some weeks I don't meet it. I started with WW new system but I was already eating the kind of food on there and some of the no points food are things I could eat a lot of. I switched to My Fitness Pal and like it. 

I was already eating healthy food but was eating too much of it. I watch my portions and eat only to satiety. I don't deprive myself of treats but I limit the number of days I have them and how many I eat on those days. When eating out I don't deprive myself of something I want but I do try to find something I want on the lower calorie end. That's usually possible. 

I try to work out 3x a week and be active in other ways on the days I don't work out. My chronic back pain (caused by disc problems) limits the kind of workouts I can do and even limits the yoga poses that are okay, but there's still plenty I can do so I go with those exercises that don't exacerbate my pain. 

My method has definitely been slow but it's working for me. 

• Like 2

I lost a lot of weight very quickly on the Furhman plan. I've regained some, due to some stress and some old patterns of self-neglect that I didn't even realize I'd started again...for me, having figured that out, I can fight it again, so I'm back on track. The nice thing about the Fuhrman plan is that the weight falls off in sheets - it's about 10 pounds per month - so a correction doesn't take long. The ongoing challenge will be to not yo-yo again. I might see a counselor, or be more strict about daily weigh ins, or something.

Fuhrman is for people who can't do low carb (I have kidney problems from lupus), and who don't mind eating (what feels like) bushels of vegetables every day, and who can do without meat most of the time. Also, beans aren't optional. LOTS of beans.

I think low/moderate carbs would be simpler and more fun, but Fuhrman also addresses my autoimmune issues and makes me look 10 years younger, so I guess this is the plan for me.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Hilltopmom said:

For those who are doing keto- any particular website or book you used to get your info?

I’m almost on summer vacation and have time to plan

thanks

First I found a Keto calculator online.  You enter info about your stats and activity level, etc, and it spits out suggested numbers for you.   The thing I mainly paid attention to was the daily  protein in grams.   I knew from personal experience that I need to stay lower carb than most to lose weight.  So, I set my protein/fat/carb ratios based on that knowledge.  

Then I looked for recipes.   I stuck with the recipes that were solid keto, meaning that the protein/fat/carb ratios were right, and if I just ate that to be full, I'd be fine.  Some recipes are more what I'd call cheater recipes.   Which is fine if you already have a solid regular keto menus.   But, I'm still working on that.  

One funny thing.   What has kept me from low carb diets in the past was tortillas.  I am meh about desserts and bread.    I luve tortillas. The wedding present from my parents was a tortilla maker that squishes AND cooks tortillas.   Then a mom friend told me that she was doing Keto and there are low-carb tortilla recipes out there.  I was sold.   Have I made tortillas?   Nooooooo.  I tried once, and failed.      

Speaking of Keto recipes, google Egg Fast Fettuccine Alfredo.    Oh my!    Using the right-sized pan is critical but it is worth it.  

One thing I really like about the diet is that I'm never deprived.   So, I don't get sad if I don't lose weight for some days.  I did Medifast, and I lost weight.   But, it was so painful that I'd get depressed if I didn't lose weight for a week.   And, no matter what I would plateau on that week every month.   

Overdrive has some Keto cookbooks for checkout.  

• Thanks 1

Dh & I just finished our first Whole30.  I lost 8lbs and he lost 12lbs (stinker.)  But that business is really time consuming or expensive because you end up making everything including salad dressing & ketchup, pasta sauce & salsa, or finding a sugar-free version that usually cost $$.  Dh had it pretty good.  Every week I'd make a huge frittata filled with veggies, cut it into pieces and individually wrap for breakfasts.  Monday morning, I'd wash 4 heads of different kinds of lettuce, one big bunch of spinach, 4 huge carrots julienned and make it into 6-8 individual salads with carefully measured grilled chicken, dressing and nuts & seeds.  I pre-portioned fruit, nuts, and veggies for snacks.  And that didn't even touch dinner.  In short, meal planning & preparing took over my life.  Dh thought it was a pretty easy meal plan to follow and didn't know what all the fuss was about.  Here we are at 2 weeks after the end of the strict phase, I added back in some of the things that had been cut in very small amounts.  For example Whole 30 is no dairy, so I added back in 2 Tablespoons of no sugar greek yogurt to my chicken salad.  Whole 30 is no corn, so I added back 1 cup of popcorn, popped in a small amount to coconut oil for a snack.  I have gained back 2 lbs ?.  Apparently the very strict, no grain, dairy, sugar or sweetener, corn, soy, etc is the only way my beginning of menopause, 48 year old overweight body will lose.  Sigh.  I also walk 4-5X/ week & water my garden by hand, etc, but that is not new.

Amber in SJ

52 minutes ago, mamaraby said:

What about starting from where you are right now. Instead of taking on a whole new way of eating, what if you focused on working within what’s already normal for you? Because of those I know who lost weight and maintained that weight loss, a “diet” wasn’t how they did it unless that “diet” allowed them some semblance of normalcy. Or rather that the changes made moved what was normal over time.

How drastically different from how you eat on a regular basis is Whole30? What are you eliminating? How many changes will you need to make? And finally, how much weight are we talking about?

It isn't really a whole new way of eating, although I don't want to cut out the dairy as I have not found any substitutes for cream in coffee that I like at all.

And I have done the "cut down" method for years and years.....I honestly don't gorge or eat a lot, but I have gotten in some bad habits of what I eat, and even when I eat healthy, I don't lose.  I have a lot of weight loss issues I really don't want to get into, but I have followed WW religiously and not lost ANY weight.  

14 minutes ago, Amber in SJ said:

Dh & I just finished our first Whole30.  I lost 8lbs and he lost 12lbs (stinker.)  But that business is really time consuming or expensive because you end up making everything including salad dressing & ketchup, pasta sauce & salsa, or finding a sugar-free version that usually cost $$.  Dh had it pretty good.  Every week I'd make a huge frittata filled with veggies, cut it into pieces and individually wrap for breakfasts.  Monday morning, I'd wash 4 heads of different kinds of lettuce, one big bunch of spinach, 4 huge carrots julienned and make it into 6-8 individual salads with carefully measured grilled chicken, dressing and nuts & seeds.  I pre-portioned fruit, nuts, and veggies for snacks.  And that didn't even touch dinner.  In short, meal planning & preparing took over my life.  Dh thought it was a pretty easy meal plan to follow and didn't know what all the fuss was about.  Here we are at 2 weeks after the end of the strict phase, I added back in some of the things that had been cut in very small amounts.  For example Whole 30 is no dairy, so I added back in 2 Tablespoons of no sugar greek yogurt to my chicken salad.  Whole 30 is no corn, so I added back 1 cup of popcorn, popped in a small amount to coconut oil for a snack.  I have gained back 2 lbs ?.  Apparently the very strict, no grain, dairy, sugar or sweetener, corn, soy, etc is the only way my beginning of menopause, 48 year old overweight body will lose.  Sigh.  I also walk 4-5X/ week & water my garden by hand, etc, but that is not new.

Amber in SJ

UGH!  Yeah, that is what I am thinking too.  And I don't have that kind of time, but DH and the kids have been really good about helping with salads and such.  DH has also taken over quite a bit of the cooking because I am home so late these days and he works from home 3 days per week.  So, we basically cook 3-4 days per week and make enough for leftovers.

But I thought NOW would be a great time for me to start this as I start my summer break TODAY.  I am heading for a week and a half trip though, and can't do it well there, but once I get back, I want to start in earnest so I though I would take this time traveling to do some research and make notes, etc....

I like the idea of Whole 30 because it allows fruit, where other low carb plans are so restrictive of any carbs.

2 minutes ago, Amber in SJ said:

Here we are at 2 weeks after the end of the strict phase, I added back in some of the things that had been cut in very small amounts.  For example Whole 30 is no dairy, so I added back in 2 Tablespoons of no sugar greek yogurt to my chicken salad.  Whole 30 is no corn, so I added back 1 cup of popcorn, popped in a small amount to coconut oil for a snack.  I have gained back 2 lbs ?.  Apparently the very strict, no grain, dairy, sugar or sweetener, corn, soy, etc is the only way my beginning of menopause, 48 year old overweight body will lose.  Sigh.  I also walk 4-5X/ week & water my garden by hand, etc, but that is not new.

Amber in SJ

I really cannot stress this enough. Do not panic at 2lbs. A 2lb regain is not a sign that whatever you’re doing is not working. 2 weeks and 2lbs is not enough information to evaluate what’s happening. For example, between yesterday first thing and today after breakfast I “gained” 4lbs. Does that mean that what I’m doing is not working or that I actually put on 4lbs of fat? Heck no! So many factors are at play here. In my case, my first thing weight is always lower than my after breakfast weight, I was pretty sick this weekend, I was probably slightly dehydrated, I had a few more carbs yesterday, I had a higher sodium food day yesterday, etc, etc.

In your case, I’m pretty confident that it’s water and/or glycogen weight and over time may either even back out or you’ll notice your weight start going down as you move from a higher water/glycogen level to more fat loss. If you gain a pound each week for four weeks then let’s start worrying about what works or doesn’t.

Here’s the thing about phase based diets - they aren’t magic. The more drastic the phase, the more “results” you’ll get, but if you’re measuring success based solely upon the number the scale tells you which says nothing about muscle or fat in your body composition then you really have no idea if what you did “worked.” The drastic phases can work on a motivational level provided you can turn that into long term success. They don’t work when they are so restrictive that you can’t maintain it and then when you regain you judge you and not the diet.

Also, 30 days is a short time frame. In this case it’s long enough to tell you that you probably can’t sustain the effort to keep it going long term. That’s good data to have. It is not enough to form new habits, change tastebuds, create new normals. Six months is a good time frame for that.

I’m not saying you have to keep doing Whole30 or that you can’t do it or that it isn’t going to be your solution. I just don’t want you to feel discouraged and give up all hope. It’s generally unwise to lose weight in a way that you can’t sustain forever and ever. If what you’re doing now feels more sustainable, give it awhile and see. At four weeks, maybe eight depending on how the next two weeks go, reevaluate how things are working and then tweak it.

• Like 1