Menu

Praxis Tests - Elem Ed

Tammi K

Has anyone taken this?  I'm trying to re-vamp my certification that expired 30 years ago.  I know it's not just content but contains a lot of teacher lingo which I'm sure has changed in 30 years.  I would love to hear from anyone who as done it recently.

I just took it in February to add a K-6 certification to my license. I found a link online for a guy who runs tutoring sessions. He had a list of the 100 most common phrases/definitions to know. I made notecards of those for all three tests. He also had videos of released math problems and showed how to work them. I also took practice tests I found online for each of the tests. I studied for 2-3 weeks prior to the test. 

I did not have to take the test to get my certification in my original licensure area current. After taking the specified numbers of CEUs and submitting the paper work to our Department of Public Education (and paying them!), my original license was reinstated. 

17 minutes ago, AppleGreen said:

I found a link online for a guy who runs tutoring sessions. He had a list of the 100 most common phrases/definitions to know.

Can you share the name?  Or just message me?  Thanks.  

This all came about really suddenly and I'm rushing to get everything finished and submitted before the big summer crunch hits the state education dept. Yuck.

I took it last week and totally aced it!  I got a perfect score on the science one.  The English one was the only one with any teacher lingo on it, and that was only a few questions.  One was about stages of spelling development, and there were a couple questions about teaching reading, but it was all pretty easy.  I took it cold with no preparation and got a 198 out of 200 in English and social studies, 200 on science, and 192 on math.  

• Like 3

Are you having to take it because you let your credentials lapse?  I haven't ever had to take it, but when I got my original credentials I had to take the NTE....you know, back when dinosaurs roamed the earth?  And when I added Counseling, it wasn't required.

However, I always study for those types of exams by getting one of those books that has about 3 or 4 full length practice test in it.  I take one exam, see where my weak areas are, and then focus on studying that.  I bet there are even Khan Academy videos for the sections you may need to brush up on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DawnM said:

Are you having to take it because you let your credentials lapse? 

Yes. I taught 30 years ago  before I had my own children. Now, I want to get back into the school district here so I can do enrichment classes.  I took the Core yesterday and I found that to be quite easy.  So, I don't have any real concern about the curriculum content but rather with the jargon and 'ed-u-speak' which I am sure has changed significantly since my time in college.

Just now, Tammi K said:

Yes. I taught 30 years ago  before I had my own children. Now, I want to get back into the school district here so I can do enrichment classes.  I took the Core yesterday and I found that to be quite easy.  So, I don't have any real concern about the curriculum content but rather with the jargon and 'ed-u-speak' which I am sure has changed significantly since my time in college.

Gotcha.  Yeah, buzzwords are important for those types of tests.  

Here is what I did when I wanted to get back into the counseling office and everything changed in 2012, and I hadn't been in the counseling office since 2005.....

I printed out the FREE National Board workbook and studied it and made notes and highlighted.  I spent about 10 hours or so over the course of a few weeks.  I circled and highlighted any buzzwords and learned them.

I aced my next interview and got the job!

http://www.nbpts.org/national-board-certification/

You can create an account and download/print the 65 or so page guide, all FREE.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

This is a helpful topic. I'm another lapsed-certification, former ps educator. I found the PRAXIS super-easy...when I was fresh out of college and before children killed my brain cells.  But I'm looking ahead (because someone has to pay for college, right?) ?

I was afraid to ever let mine lapse.  My friend let hers lapse and had to take additional classes as the requirements had changed.  

18 hours ago, Tammi K said:

Can you share the name?  Or just message me?  Thanks.  

This all came about really suddenly and I'm rushing to get everything finished and submitted before the big summer crunch hits the state education dept. Yuck.

i have looked all over and cannot seem to locate his link. I will do a little more digging. I just stumbled across it, but found it very helpful. 

• Thanks 1

I think it is important to note, Praxis Core is different than subject tests. I did not take the Core. My understanding is that Core is typically required for admission to teacher ed programs. My experience is with the three specific Praxis Subject Assessments required by my state to add a new licensure area to my license. 

Those of you looking to reinstate a lapsed license may not need to take a Praxis. It depends on your license and state requirements. I had to do a couple of classes (which I was able to take online in 6 weeks) to get the required CEUs to reinstate my original license. Reinstating my license was a relatively quick and easy process and did not require a Praxis test. However, had I opted to get a job without a current license, one of our districts requires some Praxis testing as part of the probationary hiring period. 

Based on the replies I am reading, I think most are taking the Core. The tests I took all had a higher score range than 200 (300, I believe). I definitely needed to do some prep work for the Subject Assessment tests, despite my teaching and homeschool experience. There are new reading terms being used and while I probably could have made an educated guess on the questions, I knew I had done well on the reading because much of what I studied was directly on the test. I also knew they were looking for certain terms in the constructed response portions of the tests.

*edited to add an important word