Menu

Souvenirs: Do you buy clothes with the place you're visiting written on them?

J-rap

I usually don't buy clothes for souvenirs.  I am cheap.  I would rather have a photo than a thing.  However,on our recent roadtrip, I allotted an amount per kid, per major stop. The little boys like stuffed animals.  I told them they had to somehow be representative of where we visited.  They each got a book about Boston. The girls like jewelry.  So, earrings, necklaces, etc.  DH loves coffee mugs.  So. he got a couple(not every stop.) And I got Tshirts at Niagara.  I bought 3(they were only $10.)-One for me, DD16, DS10.  

Oldest did not not go.  I thought why get him a souvenir? To remember a trip he didn't go on?  

I think people need to stop being so sensitive about what other people wear. I usually ignore what people wear. 

17 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Why is that a Maryland thing?  Is this like the yuppy sport of choice for the area?  

MD thinks Lacrosse is a LOT more popular than it really is. ?. Every high school has a couple teams; which is a cop out considering the state sport is jousting, but whatever. 

I alao lived here several years before I noticed there were no middle school football teams. 

10 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Why is that a Maryland thing?  Is this like the yuppy sport of choice for the area?  

It’s not just a Maryland thing. However, University of Maryland, Loyola, and Johns Hopkins have top 20 NCAA D1 LAX teams. 

I buy them all the time (sometimes even from thrift stores of places I've never been!)  I've found they're usually great quality and last for years and years.  If the graphics are a little too wild to wear out in public, I'll just use it as a sleep shirt.  The kids had a bunch of t-shirts from different locations and when they outgrew them I used them in a quilt. 

• Like 1

If we are someplace and suddenly have a need, and all that’s available is a souvenir shirt, then ... I will buy one.  Otherwise, not really. And I often give them away when we arrive home.  I’m just not an advertising on our bodies kind of shopper.  

Ok, one exception:  I HAD to have a “my life’s in ruins” shirt from the Grand Canyon.  Had to.  Loved it.  But not because it was from the GC, it was because at that point in my life, my life was literally in ruins.  Field archaeology in the SW. ?

I bought my kids Disneyland caps many years ago because we forgot to bring our own and Disneyland is in the same state anyway.

I don’t buy souvenir t-shirts but we do buy keychains and/or fridge magnets.  That’s because we like collecting those anyway and we use keychains as substitute backpack zipper pulls when the original backpack zipper pull breaks. 

• Like 2

We get t-shirts sometimes. I most like picture frames though. I can see 4 different OBX frames from where I sit right now. Each one from a different trip with a picture from that trip in it. It is tradition now. They are all slightly different in theme: turtles, lighthouse, shells,and drift wood. 

I like to support places like aquariums, so I got a t-shirt from the Boston Aquarium when we went last yr. Dd got a stuffed animal. Stuffed animals are definitely her thing. One of Dh's favorite (for comfort) shirts is his NC aquarium shirt.

We also have magnets. For us, it is all about the memories.