Menu

US History questions/recommendations?

We are finishing up Abeka World History & Cultures.  I'm now shopping for US History.  I have two boys (going into 11th).   My dilemma is my student personalities.  One is slower with his work...takes him all day (and he's not even gotten to the tough stuff yet!)....he's easily distracted.     The other is very quick with his work, but basically does the bare minimum.  He gets good grades though on exams and such, but won't put anything extra in.    He just wants to get done and get to his other interests (which primarily are video games or sports).     Neither of them are very good or WILLING to work on curriculum that has more "critical thinking" involved.  Like Notgrass.  We tried it for World History...didn't work for us because of the critical thinking structure and focus, so switched to Abeka.    When I've tried those types of curriculum heavy on critical thinking questions, we tried them together as discussion type, all I get from my boys are the "bare minimum" answers, or blank stares.  It's so frustrating.

What are some of your favorite US History curriculum and why?   I'm trying to find something that has structured deliverables (ie- questions to answer...preferably not dominated by critical thinking questions.)   I know someday in college, it will come up again for them, but right now, they don't believe me or just don't try.  I'd rather at least get a good curriculum that they will at least enjoy (mostly), without the battle.  It does me know good to fight with them over it, and certainly won't do them any good.

I may still end up with Abeka for US History again, but I wanted to see what some other good options might be.    I came across Dave Raymond's American History, but that looks like it may be a more "critical thinking" type curriculum.  

Suggestions??

I like the way BJU is written better that Abeka.  Their questions sort of bridge a gap between Abeka and something like Notgrass.  I would say that there is a little more critical thinking in BJU than Abeka but that is not the focus as in something like Notgrass.

My teens (15 & 17) opted for a "get it done US History credit" and choose Life Pac by Alpha and Omega. Not sure if you are familiar with them or not, but it's basically 10 small workbooks (reading with questions such as multiple choice, True and False, Fill in the blank, etc.) On a test there may be an essay question or two but it's a simple question that only needs 2-3 sentences to answer. We did watch a handful of movies and documentaries related to the US History topics they studied...just for fun! Good Luck ?

I'd suggest Joy Hakim's History of US.  Some people use it earlier (in middle school), but we used it as the US History spine in high school.  You can supplement it with lots of stuff -- as we did for most of our kids, or not.  One of our kids was using it when we had a lot of family medical stuff going on, so I just had her read it through on her own.  She kept a history journal and wrote in it every day, two or three things that particularly caught her attention from that day's reading.  She watched a few movies and documentaries.  It is not dry at all.  So many of the "get it done" options are dry and boring.  This one is written in a way that's colorful and attention-grabbing.  There's a good chance that they'll find it really interesting and then they'll actually remember it!  I think there are 10 volumes or so, but you can easily get through one per month (or more).

• Like 1

Another non-textbook approach which might appeal is William Bennett's America: The Last Best Hope, vol. I, II, and III (although III is also published as A Century Turns: New Hopes, New Fears).  It would involve more reading than the A Beka textbook, but it would be much, much more interesting.  

• Like 1