Menu

Book or Video List for Human Odyssey 3?

Hi,   I have been researching how to use Human Odyssey Volume 3 for 8th grade.  Several times people have mentioned there is a booklist or video list that matches up with Human Odyssey in a thread somewhere on the forums, but I cannot seem to locate it.  Does anyone know where I could find some supplemental materials that match up with Human Odyssey Volume 3?  

• Like 1

I think @ScoutTN is working on a schedule that includes videos. 

I am using the OUP A History in Documents books to supplement it, but I am honestly not sure how it is going to pan out. I would be interested in some videos also.

As far as books, I am planning on using the book lists in the Well Trained Mind, but the child in HO3 is still catching up on the Medieval and Early Modern list.  We will do some modern books as read alouds. 

I will do my history list in July. I supplement mostly with fiction and biographies, but will include movies too. I will have a 5th grader also doing Late Modern with my 8th grader, but the younger one will use SOTW as a spine.

I am going to choose about 10 major topics to focus on. I haven't made that list yet either, but thinking something like this:

Reconstruction

Flight and automobiles

WW1

The Depression

WW2

The Cold War

Space Flight

The Civil Rights Movement and Racism in America in the 20th Century.

The Sixties

Vietnam

Not sure yet on more recent topics. Possibly computers/information technology. I really haven't started planning this yet.

OP, have you checked the lists in TWTM? Always a solid pkace to start. And booklists from Sonlight, Beautiful Feet etc. 

• Like 1

I have not yet checked TWTM lists, this is the first time I have had to plan history in years (she went to school for a while and then did a co op), so it did not cross my mind look there.  I did remember the forums though, LOL, I used to ask questions here all the time.  I guess I might need to buy an updated copy of TWTM.  My last copy is 2012...

Thanks for the tip, that will make things much easier!  I feel silly I hadn't thought of that.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, grace'smom said:

I have not yet checked TWTM lists, this is the first time I have had to plan history in years (she went to school for a while and then did a co op), so it did not cross my mind look there.  I did remember the forums though, LOL, I used to ask questions here all the time.  I guess I might need to buy an updated copy of TWTM.  My last copy is 2012...

Thanks for the tip, that will make things much easier!  I feel silly I hadn't thought of that.  

I have the book lists typed out, but then after I typed them I realized I had left off some information like we were only to read Cantos I-V of Dante's Inferno. Also, the translation of some of the books.  Update: PM'd you the lists for Modern and Early Modern.