Menu

Anyone use a crate system to organize?

Are you talking about where you get a crate with hanging file folders, one folder per week of homeschooling, and you put all your workbooks and so on in each folder?

There's a very long thread about that here. I did it that year it got super popular and it was pretty much a disaster that I ended up abandoning a couple months in. I needed way more flexibility and fewer worksheets.

• Like 1

I'm also not totally sure what you're picturing, but I like things to be absurdly simple. None of our "crates" are actually milk crate style - they're more like half decent baskets that are about that size - but we have a crate for the current reading books, each student has a crate for current workbooks and notebooks and so forth, and there's a sort of box thing for turning in work or finished up workbooks and notebooks - it just sits in there until it's full and we clean it out and put a few things into a portfolio.

We also have shelves for textbooks and reference books that aren't in everyday use.

• Like 1

I use a workbox-like system with the hanging files. It works for me in that it keeps all my kiddo's books & papers in one spot. He uses workbooks, like Spelling You See, and math worksheets from Math Mammoth, so it's easy to load those into the folders. Each weekend, I go through the box to make sure I've got the upcoming week's assignments in it.

I tried to use the system for my older kid, but it didn't work out so well because her classes used bigger books that don't fit so well in the box. Plus many of her assignments were files on the computer (e.g., writing assignments) so she rarely went to it. It's now another piece of plastic cluttering our small, small home. ? 

If you want to see pics of my kiddo's workbox, let me know. I'd be happy to share.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mimm said:

Are you talking about where you get a crate with hanging file folders, one folder per week of homeschooling, and you put all your workbooks and so on in each folder?

There's a very long thread about that here. I did it that year it got super popular and it was pretty much a disaster that I ended up abandoning a couple months in. I needed way more flexibility and fewer worksheets.

Something like that, yeah.  I’m going to have three students again next year, and that’s the point where I really need a very open and go level of preparation.

(I can’t find anything with search since the forum upgrade.)

I do and it has worked well for us. I have to pre-plan as much as possible so that I stay on track. We don't use a lot of worksheets but it does help me to put a list of needed materials and a list of assignments for each week in the folder. My oldest can read the assignment list and check things off. I'm going to incorporate workboxes this coming year. 

The thing I really like is that if we take a break or someone is sick etc, we don't get off track with planning. Sometimes we sit on one folder for more than a week and sometimes we skip a few things depending on how it's all going.

• Like 1

http://www.startsateight.com/planning-filing-crate-system-part-i/

Here is a blog link to the first in a series of posts about the system. Her link to the thread here no longer works. I think the forum upgrade broke a lot of links and I don't know if they'll ever be fixed. ?

I would say this system is good for you if:

- Your homeschool already uses workbooks and this works for you.

- You have a decent track record of following your own organization systems (I do not, so time spent planning in detail is usually time wasted).

- Flexibility of working at different subjects at different paces, or of following rabbit trails is not important to you.

• Like 1