Menu

Does anyone use these?  They seem like a much better option for my family since we’re mobile.

My biggest hesitation is soap scum.  Bar soap is banned in my house because we almost always have hard water and bar soap plus hard water equals major soap scum.  Do bar shampoos create soap scum in your hair and in the shower when you have hard water?  (On a side note, does anyone know of a bar soap that doesn’t create soap scum?)

Is it possible to wash your hair without tangling it?  I have very long hair and am careful to not tangle it when I wash it, but I’m not sure that would be possible with bar shampoo.

What about conditioner?  I’m pretty low maintenance but I do use conditioner to make my hair easier to brush.  Is there such a thing as a conditioning bar shampoo?

ETA: Can you buy these at places like Target in the US?

I use shampoo bars when I travel and love them.  I haven't heard of conditioner bars though!  That would be great!  I really need a conditioner of some sort though because my hair is thick and wavy and gets lots of tangles in it.  I have found conditioner in a small tube which I like, though it's hard to find.

• Like 2

Lush has solid conditioners https://www.lushusa.com/hair/conditioners/

i used to use one, but it wasn’t as moisturizing as I needed it to be for my hair.   Dd used to successfully use solid shampoo/conditioner and she had very long, straight hair.   I couldn’t use with my long curly hair without tangly regrets ?

As for soap scum, I just cannot remember.  It probably wasn’t too bad, or else I would probably remember, right?

• Like 2

I do, but not all the time.  I rotate through Lush and a smaller, local company in my travel bags.  Never had a problem with soap scum, even the last two/three weeks I used them before our move, and we had hard water there.  It's just a concentrated shampoo.  I tend to keep my hair short so never worried about conditioner, but yeah, they have those, too.

• Like 2

I tried Lush shampoo bars and gave them to my sisters one year. All three of us felt they were too harsh- our hair was dry and not shiny at all. But it’s been years- maybe they have improved a lot. 

Dh and I combined go through two large bottles of Biolage shampoo and one conditioner a year and recycle them. So not a big deal, I don’t think. 

For travel we have a tiny size refillable shampoo bottle that lasts us two weeks. If we needed more we’d just take two of those. We’ve had the same travel bottle since the liquid restrictions on airlines have been in place. 

14 hours ago, Amira said:

My biggest hesitation is soap scum.  Bar soap is banned in my house because we almost always have hard water and bar soap plus hard water equals major soap scum.  Do bar shampoos create soap scum in your hair and in the shower when you have hard water?  (On a side note, does anyone know of a bar soap that doesn’t create soap scum?)

I've never lived in a place with hard water so I was curious about what causes soap scum and found this:  http://www.rsc.org/Education/Teachers/Resources/Contemporary/student/pop_detergent.html

Apparently you'd have to use a detergent to avoid soap scum.  

I tried a shampoo bar (Beekman) only one time, and it was much too harsh for my hair.   (I find shampoos very drying, too.)  I gave the shampoo bar to my son, but he has oily hair and a buzz cut so it was fine for him.   

A few years ago some ladies here were talking about the couple who are living like Victorians, and I started reading the wife's blog and some of her books.    I know she uses Kirk's Castile soap instead of shampoo.   I bought some bars at the grocery store but I've never used on my hair.   

Here's a link to her blog where she writes about the soap and her hair care:  http://www.thisvictorianlife.com/beauty--grooming--washing.html

• Like 1

I've tried a few.

• Awful, from a store: Seed
  • Adequate, from a store: Liggett
  • Reasonably good, online: Apple Valley
  • Very good, online: Carrot Top by Aquarian Bath on Etsy.

(We don't have hard water.) I need conditioner no matter what I'm using.

I've used Lush conditioner bars; they're just okay. I've bought a new one from Etsy, but I haven't tried it out yet because I'm going to use up the Lush one I have now.

I recommend using a draining soap dish. I like these angled ones, but if you have a lip around the sink/tub, these might be better.

• Like 1

I use only conditioner most of the time. I do know that liquid soap doesn’t create nearly the soap scum that a bar does, so it seems like bar shampoo ‘might’ be a step in the wrong direction. I’m convinced Irish spring is THE worst soap scum culprit, but it’s the only thing that makes Dh happy. 

• Like 1

I am seriously considering trying one.  We tried the Baby Shampoo one from Burt's Bees but they stopped making it.

I need conditioner.  I was going to go to Lush and buy one but have no time before my trip.  

• Like 1

I've been using these from Chagrin Valley - specifically Carrot mIlk & Honey as well as their Coconut Milk. I use one until it is gone (6-8 months? 5 times/week) and then use the other one. I did try their conditioner bar, but I didn't like the smell, but I'm pretty picky! The Coconut Milk bar is very moisturizing, so I'm not sure you would need an added conditioner with it. 

Hard water and no soap scum. I don't have long hair though, so no answers about tangling. 

I tried them as my hair was getting coarser as I aged. With these, my hair is much softer - softer than it has been in years! 

https://www.chagrinvalleysoapandsalve.com/products/natural-hair/natural-shampoo-bars/

I actually tried these after someone recommended them here on the WTM. 

• Like 2

Jumping in with a late reply.

I started using shampoo and conditioner bars from Lush about a year ago for reasons similar to yours. Not a consumables post, but no liquids in the mail, expensive and inferior local products, teenaged girls x3 with long hair, and a growing concern about plastic waste. 

The shampoo is easy to use without tangling. You can get a good lather using downward strokes on your hair then gently lathering as normal. Oddly I find the conditioner I have harder to just smooth on, and I feel myself rubbing it in more vigorously. I will try one that claims to be more moisturizing and creamier next if possible. The one I have is purple. My hair looks and feels good. 

I would look at cons of purchasing a two year stock in places with a warm climate. There are no preservatives in the bars. It may be fine or you may even consider refrigerating or storing in air conditioned areas. That would depend on your posting. I’m just musing. We’ve managed with one online order and replenishing on work trips to Europe and the US and having family bring some in. We’re pouch only and it is sloooooow, so slow here, and I prefer not to use it if possible. 

I also recommend their lotion bars and massage bars in lieu of large plastic bottles of lotion for both traveling and every day. 

Good luck!

• Like 2
On 6/12/2018 at 8:32 AM, Bambam said:

I've been using these from Chagrin Valley - specifically Carrot mIlk & Honey as well as their Coconut Milk. I use one until it is gone (6-8 months? 5 times/week) and then use the other one. I did try their conditioner bar, but I didn't like the smell, but I'm pretty picky! The Coconut Milk bar is very moisturizing, so I'm not sure you would need an added conditioner with it. 

Hard water and no soap scum. I don't have long hair though, so no answers about tangling. 

I tried them as my hair was getting coarser as I aged. With these, my hair is much softer - softer than it has been in years! 

https://www.chagrinvalleysoapandsalve.com/products/natural-hair/natural-shampoo-bars/

I actually tried these after someone recommended them here on the WTM. 

Lush was out of about 80% of their stuff online and I am leaving this Tue for a 2 week trip to 4 different destinations, so I wanted to be sure and get what I needed.  I ordered from Amazon.

But this place looks great!  I am thinking of placing an order while I am gone to make sure to get it by the time I get back.  Have you tried their lotion bars or anything else?

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

But this place looks great!  I am thinking of placing an order while I am gone to make sure to get it by the time I get back.  Have you tried their lotion bars or anything else?

From Chagrin Valley - I've tried and *love* their Whipped Sqaulane Face & Eye Mousse (excellent stuff, very light). I did try one of their lotion bars, and I liked it. I don't remember which one though. I still prefer the coconut oil moisturizing cream from Tropical Traditions though.

• Like 1

I have not had issues with residue from my LUSH shampoo bar (I use Sea Nik), but they changed the formula on the conditioner bar a while back (Big) and I don't really like it anymore.  I have not notices soap scum or build up in the shower.  However, I will admit they are not as neat/tidy as bottled shampoo, even if I do keep them in the little dish I got to go with them.  My wash routine is every other day, and I use a liquid shampoo (Rehab from LUSH) every 3rd or 4th wash because I love they way it treats my hair but it is too much for daily use.  Honestly, if you have pretty plain-old hair like me that doesn't need a whole lot of special care I absolutely love the LUSH product "Fun" for travel.  I use it for soap and shampoo, and it travels so well, and is tidier than the shampoo bar.  Plus the kids all love to play with it.  My favorite is Pink Fun.

• Like 1

I am so mad!  I ordered, with PRIME on June 12th.  

Amazon is now saying my bars will arrive on the 19th by 8pm.  Well, I leave on the 19th at 4am to get on a 6am flight.  They will not get here on time and they were expensive!  I got a 5 bar trial thing to see what I liked.  I will be sending them back.  

I may see if I have time to stop at ULTA today and see if they have any, but I really don't have time.  I am going on a 2 week trip.  

GRR!!!!!!