Menu

Creatively Gifted 4yo

Background: One of my neighbors is an elementary school teacher. I approached her about my 4, almost 5 year old, son, who people have commented about being artistically gifted. She contacted the art teachers she works with who provided a test and he scored as “creatively gifted.”

Coming to all of you with my question: what now?!

We have an easel set up where we homeschool and I provide him with paper and supplies. He colors and draws and cuts and pastes all day. 

His birthday is next month. What should I put on his list? What tools are musts? What art books should we add to our library? 

Any program/project suggestions? Kindergarten curriculum that caters to artfully-minded littles?

I want to provide him with every opportunity to do what he loves and excel.

Thanks! 

If I was in your shoes, I would look into Charlotte Mason's approach to drawing, nature journaling, and artist study (and disregard beginning age suggestions). Strew materials and suggest activities, but don't force/push/etc. Incorporate these activities into the fun part of your day. 

Visit local art museums. This is even more fun if the museum has a piece from an artist you've studied, so you might do a little research when you are choosing an artist. ? 

A quick search revealed this information to start. I also like Simply Charlotte Mason's picture study portfolios.

https://www.amblesideonline.org/CMM/topicalartmusic.html

http://www.charlottemasonhelp.com/2009/07/picture-study.html

Hope that helps!

• Like 2

I have a young 13 year-old who is working at a beginning college level in studio art (according to her art school).  She's getting to the point where she wants to sell her art online this year.

I've posted about her over the years on here.  She had a ton of problems when she was younger: sensory problems, focusing problems, self-control problems...she was terrified of off-the-wall things like Anthrax (what 5 year-old is afraid of Anthrax??).  I was desperate, searching for things to help her and I noticed she really liked to paint and draw.  When she was about 7, we basically went on a shopping spree at Hobby Lobby.  We set up an art area in our school room and I also put her in an art class at a local art school for younger children. 

It was the best thing I ever did.  She did great in the classes for about 2 years and then I noticed they weren't challenging...and the stuff she was doing was more advanced than what they were doing in class.  So, I talked to the teacher and we ended up getting her semi-private lessons with another gifted kid.  I know I said this already, but that's been the best thing I ever did.  Those two have been doing private lessons together for years.  And her art is pretty incredible at this point.  The art school has been using some of her paintings in their advertisements.  Lol.  

She's starting to do some competitions and I intend to get her into a lot more as she enters high school.  The Scholastic Art & Writing Awards is one competition you could try.  They have to be in 7th grade.  She won Honorable Mention last year as a 7th grader for a pencil portrait of her brother.  

I'm also putting her in theater this fall and she already does ballet.  She will end up majoring in Fine Arts in college. 

Hope something out of there helped.  Good luck!           

• Like 1

On 6/8/2018 at 12:41 AM, arliemaria said:

My parents found a little art studio in our wee town when I was in elementary school. I spent many Saturday mornings painting there. This was very formative not only by getting to paint in a real studio, but seeing a real artist at work. 

https://www.tpt.org/postcards/video/postcards-tammy-degruchy-grubbs/

My dd loves having an art teacher to ask questions and just having someone knowledgeable in the field to talk to.