Menu

How do you pronounce Apologia?

Like...officially?

Because (in my mind) I've always started it like "apologetics"...Apollo-GEE'-uh.  Tonight I heard it pronounced a different way: apple-OH'-gee-uh. 

Mind blown - I never considered any other way. What's the official pronunciation? (And why am I just now asking, after hs'ing 7 years?! LOL!)

• Like 1

In my mind I said it the second way (as in a defense of something) until I clicked on one of their promo videos and heard it pronounced the first way.  Their brand, their pronunciation.  Reminds me a little of when britax (bry tax) officially changed their pronunciation to britax (Brit tax).  My phonics was rebelling, but it’s their brand.  I guess they can say it how they want.

19 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

Like...officially?

Because (in my mind) I've always started it like "apologetics"...Apollo-GEE'-uh.  Tonight I heard it pronounced a different way: apple-OH'-gee-uh. 

Mind blown - I never considered any other way. What's the official pronunciation? (And why am I just now asking, after hs'ing 7 years?! LOL!)

ApollogEEuh, hard G. The second way sounds Latin to me. This is an actual Greek word and there's a living pronunciation so I'd go with that.

Of course, I pronounce La Croix "la cwah" so I'm a snob like that.

• Like 1

I vaguely recall reading that the pronunciation of the company name is like your first choice -- Apollo GEE uh.  

The pronunciation of the actual word is different than how the company pronounces it.  I've usually heard it your second way, although I could be easily swayed into Tsuga's way.  Given that I rarely say it out loud as a word (rather than the company name) it probably doesn't matter how I say it.

I mentally stick it in with other company names that seem a little "off" ...  like Studio Ghibli having a soft G, and Lands' End having their apostrophe in the wrong place.

34 minutes ago, MerryAtHope said:

I've always said it the first way (apology, apologetics, apologize...Apollo-Jee-uh seemed most natural to me!) I have occasionally heard it the second way though. 

I wonder if Christians more often automatically say it Apollo-Jee-uh because we are used to thinking about apologetics. I just asked a secular homeschool friend and she said she would have assumed the second way. 

• Like 1

I'm a Christian and I used to say Appo-low-gia (like Appalachia) but then stopped when everyone around me pronounced it the other way. I'm originally from England though so not sure if that has anything to do with it? I pronounce mosquito and strawberries differently as well, apparently.

3 hours ago, nixpix5 said:

I wonder if Christians more often automatically say it Apollo-Jee-uh because we are used to thinking about apologetics. I just asked a secular homeschool friend and she said she would have assumed the second way. 

I am Christian and have heard it pronounced the second way in a homily and a video talk.  That’s why I assumed the company pronounced it that way prior to watching their promo.  Maybe that is a latinized pronounciation though.

eta:  miriam-Webster and oxford online dictionaries have it the second way as well.  Obviously those are English.  Now I’m curious how they say it in the Greek Orthodox Church.

Merriam-Webster has the emphasis on the third syllable with a long O sound. That's how I pronounced it when I first read it; I think my mental comparison was with something like "theologian." I'm Christian. ? (I also remembered some rule in Greek about stressing the antepenult when possible...but I don't recall the details, as my Greek studies were quite a while ago.)

But a friend told me that the company pronounces it the other way, so I've tried to make the mental switch. I rarely need to say it out loud.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Syllieann said:

I am Christian and have heard it pronounced the second way in a homily and a video talk.  That’s why I assumed the company pronounced it that way prior to watching their promo.  Maybe that is a latinized pronounciation though.

eta:  miriam-Webster and oxford online dictionaries have it the second way as well.  Obviously those are English.  Now I’m curious how they say it in the Greek Orthodox Church.

That would make sense thinking about accent stress marks. Interesting...

3 hours ago, kiwik said:

The first way but someone I know who uses sonlight says it apple oh gia. I think it is simply whether you look for roots or not.

Funny aside but even though I know sonlight is prn "sun-light" my brain cannot stop thinking of it as sahn-light lol. I have no idea why either. It is just one of those weird things when I read it. 

10 hours ago, blendergal said:

Pam Barnhill pronounces it Sahnlight on her podcasts. I don’t know where she’s from, but I wondered if it was a regional thing.

That is interesting. My assumption has always been it is a play on the word sunlight and by using "son" the reference is to Jesus. I have never used the curriculum though. However, my brain just never reads it as sunlight. One of those funny brain things I guess ?