Menu

Would You Paint This? UPDATE: Last Post with Pics!

Lady Marmalade

The closing on our new home should proceed as expected next week, so I've finally allowed myself to start thinking about paint.  I had originally planned on waiting until we lived there to choose paint colors and do the painting, but we plan to take our time and make the move as easy on us as possible, so I may as well slap some colors on the walls and see how they work.  If I end up disliking them I can re-paint later.  After 20 years of rental living and white walls, I'm ready for tons of color.

So, here is one view of my kitchen.  White, white, white.  And stainless steel appliances.  I absolutely adore the painted white cabinets, but when I look at the area that I have left to paint when I take out the cabinets, that's actually not much space to add that pop of color.  (I'm leaning towards an orange tone, but I haven't totally written off a green apple yet. ) 

My question is the big soffit over the whole kitchen.  Does that usually remain the same color as the ceiling? Or does it generally get painted if the walls get painted?  I can't decide which would be best.

IMG_1020-e1528383449702.jpg

IMG_1019-e1528383359628.jpg

Edited by Lady Marmalade

56 minutes ago, rjand6more said:

DH is a prof painter. most people choose to paint the soffit the same color as the ceiling so that it blends in.(Soffits aren't as popular as they used to be) 

A great way to add color is to do a tile backsplash.

Oh, the tile backsplash will be happening at some point.  DH loves to do tile, but probably won't have the time to get to it until winter at the earliest.   

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, rebbyribs said:

I wouldn't paint it at all and would just introduce some color via a small rug in front of the sink and dishtowels. I'd definitely leave the soffit white to keep the space from getting too dark.

This is what I'm worried about.  I will definitely be adding the pops of color with Stuff.  I'm starting to lean towards painting the other rooms and saving the kitchen for last.  Maybe by the time I get to the kitchen I'll be tired of painting and can live with the white a little longer.  I don't know, the kitchen is My Happy Place, so I really want color. 

We painted our kitchen in our old house an orangey tone. It was called Warm Cocoon, and it made the kitchen feel so warm and cozy. I loved it! Our current house has lovely maple cabinets that wouldn't go well with that kind of color (we have RED) but I did love our warm, sunshine-y kitchen. Go for it. I think it would look great with the white cabinets and dark window trim. I would paint the soffit the wall color.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

I would paint the vertical of the soffit but leave the horizontal white.

Normally I would leave both white, but with the white cabinets, I'd want a little more color than that.

I'm sure once I start filling the cabinets with all my stuff I'll be grateful for all of them, but right now staring at an empty kitchen, it's a LOT of cabinet and not much blank wall to play with! One of those good thing/bad things.

1 minute ago, Lady Marmalade said:

This is what I'm worried about.  I will definitely be adding the pops of color with Stuff.  I'm starting to lean towards painting the other rooms and saving the kitchen for last.  Maybe by the time I get to the kitchen I'll be tired of painting and can live with the white a little longer.  I don't know, the kitchen is My Happy Place, so I really want color. 

Do you sew?  How about a colorful curtain? 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Danae said:

Our soffit is the same color as the walls. I'd rather tear the thing out and have the extra storage, though. It's such a waste of space.

Right?  Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure there is ductwork in the soffit here- for sure lighting, which could be moved, but I don't think there's another space to hide the ductwork.

14 minutes ago, wintermom said:

The dark window frame looks very out of place to me. Could you paint it white or use a window covering with some accent colour and white to help blend it better with the cabinets? 

I'd add colour with plants, pictures and other accents. 

I am thinking about painting the window.  ALL the trim in the house matches right now.  Normally I wouldn't have a problem painting because I love the painted wood look so much better than natural wood.  But it kind of feels like a slippery slope to me- first I paint this window, and then my DD wants to paint hers, and then the windows in the bathroom and powder room... 

Just now, rjand6more said:

Do you sew?  How about a colorful curtain? 

Yes! For sure on the colorful curtain.  Probably cafe style so it doesn't hide my view at all.  Hmm... I have a really cute one already that isn't the right colors at all for the orange, BUT it has a fabulous pale blue in it that might make a great wall accent color.  It's a blood red with pale blue dots...

IMG_1039.jpg

7 minutes ago, Lady Marmalade said:

I am thinking about painting the window.  ALL the trim in the house matches right now.  Normally I wouldn't have a problem painting because I love the painted wood look so much better than natural wood.  But it kind of feels like a slippery slope to me- first I paint this window, and then my DD wants to paint hers, and then the windows in the bathroom and powder room... 

Google "while kitchen images" and have a look at the windows in the examples. The problem with that dark wood window is that it attracts the eye completely breaks up the flow of the white cabinets and counter. You want a really good and intentional reason to attract the eye, and this window frame just isn't what I'd want to be the focus of my room. The curtain just competes with the dark frame, and takes away from the "pop" it would otherwise have with a white frame.

Also, when you are close up to the window, you may find that the pattern on the glass doesn't seem to work well with the pattern on that curtain. You may want a curtain with no pattern at all, and some simple washes of bright colour.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rjand6more said:

DH is a prof painter. most people choose to paint the soffit the same color as the ceiling so that it blends in.(Soffits aren't as popular as they used to be) 

A great way to add color is to do a tile backsplash.

Yes - that's what I'd do in that kitchen. I'd find a tile I loved and put in a backsplash.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Lady Marmalade said:

Oh, the tile backsplash will be happening at some point.  DH loves to do tile, but probably won't have the time to get to it until winter at the earliest.   

There isn't a lot of wall space in that kitchen. I'd leave the walls white and just wait until the backsplash is in. The advice to use kitchen towels and a rug for a pop of colour was good. You don't want too much going on in your kitchen at the same time. 

• Like 2

I wouldn't paint anything until I had picked out tile for the backsplash. That way you can choose whatever tile you like and then pick a paint color to go with it, instead of trying to find tile that matches paint that's already on the walls. You might also find that once you have the backsplash in, you want to just leave the little bit of remaining wall space white to blend with the cabinets. Personally I would not paint the soffit; I think if it's painted a bright color it will make the walls seem like they're closing in on you and make the room feel smaller.

• Like 2

I love soffits in kitchens when the cupboards don't meet the ceiling.  So much easier to clean.  I would add some colour in there too.

Anyway, I think you can choose what you want with painting it.  If the ceiling feels low, I'd go with the wall colour, or OTOH, if it feels like the room is too open and not cozy, you could do it the colour of the ceiling.  Or, just paint it, or even use it as a third colour.

I'd try looking at some photos both ways and seeing what you like.

The other thing is, you could leave it white, paint the walls, and then if you feel like it would also be better painted, there is nothing stopping you.

• Like 1

I'm really enjoying this discussion- thank you all for participating and offering your advice!

So much to think about, but I think you've all convinced me so far that I want to paint that window trim.   

I confess that I haven't looked at any ideas of backsplash tile yet.  Is that a rabbit hole just waiting for me to get sucked in?  Probably.   The wall behind the range is currently a faux white tile board, so it looks sort of like subway tile, but is just a sheet of paneling.  DH wants to tile that also- and he really wants to add a pot filler for me.  I'm not sure that is necessary, but if he wants to go to the expense and trouble... 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lady Marmalade said:

I'm really enjoying this discussion- thank you all for participating and offering your advice!

So much to think about, but I think you've all convinced me so far that I want to paint that window trim.   

I confess that I haven't looked at any ideas of backsplash tile yet.  Is that a rabbit hole just waiting for me to get sucked in?  Probably.   The wall behind the range is currently a faux white tile board, so it looks sort of like subway tile, but is just a sheet of paneling.  DH wants to tile that also- and he really wants to add a pot filler for me.  I'm not sure that is necessary, but if he wants to go to the expense and trouble... 

The curtain is great!

In our last house we renovated(yes, we're doing it again...what is wrong with me?!?!) the only painted trim-window and all trim-was in the kitchen.  DH said it was ok to paint that trim and not the rest of the house.  It turned out beautiful.  No one questioned that it didn't match the rest of the house or anything.

It's fun to look at tile!

Its so hard to pace yourself on projects.:)

Your kitchen is stunningly like the kitchen in our new house! You could superimpose your first picture right onto ours, lol! Our stove is to the right of the dishwasher though, and then there is a doorway into the dining room. We didn't have quite that clean of a palate for painting and deciding how it should look though. It was dark, and we lightened it up. We did paint the soffit the same color as the wall with no cupboards (directly opposite the sink in our kitchen), but we have very dark backsplash tile (not slate, but slate sorts of colors), and we painted the walls a cream color. 

Enjoy your new house! 

12 hours ago, Lady Marmalade said:

Yes! For sure on the colorful curtain.  Probably cafe style so it doesn't hide my view at all.  Hmm... I have a really cute one already that isn't the right colors at all for the orange, BUT it has a fabulous pale blue in it that might make a great wall accent color.  It's a blood red with pale blue dots...

IMG_1039.jpg

I think you could paint just that window frame (at least to start) because it seems isolated there inbetween the cabinets. Like it’s not connected to the other window frames. 

So I ended up painting the room a gorgeous deep orange.  I painted the soffit that is on the same plane as the wall, and I think it turned out fabulous.  I have a Mexican serape table runner coming that is heavy on the navy blue and red, and I'm going to turn that into a curtain for the window.  This is my new happy place.  ?

IMG_0123-e1538959495721.jpeg

IMG_0124-e1538959466746.jpeg

IMG_0126-e1538959441324.jpeg

• Like 22

14 hours ago, kbutton said:

Nice! 

Not only do you have a shockingly similar kitchen layout, but with the additional pics, it appears you have my flooring too, lol! 

Oh no!  Marble tile?  Fortunately, I think the orange paint makes the tile look much better than it did before with the stark white.  I wouldn't mind it except it was poorly installed and I don't know how to really clean it.  

9 hours ago, BakersDozen said:

Also, I can't tell what room is off your kitchen but have you seen pictures where the ceiling in the next room is the same color as the walls in the first room? Oh my...I cannot wait to try it in my house!

Oh, wow.  That sounds super fun to look at, except ceiling painting is not fun to do at all.  If you do it, take pictures!

9 hours ago, BakersDozen said:

Of course you are going to share the paint color/brand with us, right?? Looks fantastic!

The paint is Pittsburgh Paints Grand Distinction (satin interior finish), but I used a color from the Nautica palette called Lifeboat.   The Grand Distinction paint is really luscious to work with- nice and creamy and nice coverage with both a roller and a brush.   When I went to Menard's to get the paint I was disappointed that the color I wanted was a Nautica paint, because I've loved working with the Grand Distinction over the last month.  They surprised me by telling me I could get the Nautica colors in the GD paint.  So that's what I did. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Lady Marmalade said:

Oh no!  Marble tile?  Fortunately, I think the orange paint makes the tile look much better than it did before with the stark white.  I wouldn't mind it except it was poorly installed and I don't know how to really clean it.  

Nope--just look alike. Ours is vinyl, but the colors. size of squares, etc. look so much alike! 

I failed to mention I love the new color! Job well done! Can't wait to see your curtain. I was thinking how great navy would look w/ that orange. 

I laughed about the doppelganger thing b/t the OP and kbutton, but upon closer inspection, I see a coffee maker to the left of a Keurig. It's not a Cuisenart from Costco (mentioned here), is it? Because we have that same coffee station. I also "do" cold brew in the fridge in a mason jar. Doppelganger, indeed. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BakersDozen said:

Also, I can't tell what room is off your kitchen but have you seen pictures where the ceiling in the next room is the same color as the walls in the first room? Oh my...I cannot wait to try it in my house!

OK, I have to go look this up now. Help? Pinterest? Links? Please?

1 hour ago, Angie in VA said:

I failed to mention I love the new color! Job well done! Can't wait to see your curtain. I was thinking how great navy would look w/ that orange. 

I laughed about the doppelganger thing b/t the OP and kbutton, but upon closer inspection, I see a coffee maker to the left of a Keurig. It's not a Cuisenart from Costco (mentioned here), is it? Because we have that same coffee station. I also "do" cold brew in the fridge in a mason jar. Doppelganger, indeed. 

Ha!  I was the first one to recommend that coffee maker on that thread.  I love it still!  And I love my Keurig.  My old Keurig died and as a housewarming present to myself I went and bought the one at Costco.  Now if it dies again, I can take it back to Costco for a replacement.  ?

The drawer underneath coffee central holds my K-cups- it was meant to be one of those office nooks in the kitchen.  Works perfectly for tucking all the cups away.  And of course, the cupboards right there hold the coffee filters, coffee, cups, etc.  One stop coffee except for the lack of water right there.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lady Marmalade said:

Ha!  I was the first one to recommend that coffee maker on that thread.  I love it still!  And I love my Keurig.  My old Keurig died and as a housewarming present to myself I went and bought the one at Costco.  Now if it dies again, I can take it back to Costco for a replacement.  ?

The drawer underneath coffee central holds my K-cups- it was meant to be one of those office nooks in the kitchen.  Works perfectly for tucking all the cups away.  And of course, the cupboards right there hold the coffee filters, coffee, cups, etc.  One stop coffee except for the lack of water right there.  

Duh. I should have seen that when I linked it. I mean I even mentioned you in one of my posts about it. Sorry. I am sleep deprived lately. Must be too much coffee consumption. 

Thanks for your recommendation! DH really enjoys it. I'm sticking w/ my cold brewed for now. 

We have a little K Cup "tree" stand, but usually use the refillable filter. We did designate the entire cabinet space above that counter to coffee cups, K Cups (some need to be airtight) and teas. Also, course ground coffee that I buy and grind for my cold brew and that DH sneaks. Hehehe. 

I call it our altar to the coffee gods. ?

Edited by Angie in VA