Menu

Apologia’s new health curriculum sale..... anyone planning on buying it?

I just ordered it. My DD doesn’t like science but she’s interested in nutrition. I decided to go with a lighter science year for 9th and try Health and Nutrition. My younger three are going to do Apologia Anatomy for younger grades and I’ll have my oldest list in. We’re also adding in some home ec/cooking stuff. 

• Like 1

I've thought about it for a year from now for my DD but wanted to read a few reviews first. They didn't have samples online last time I looked. My DS's both used Total Health and hated it, and I can't say I've been a big fan of it either, but it was less bad than anything else I looked at, so we've stuck with it so far and just rolled our eyes because Health is a "box checking" class for us anyway. But I'd be thrilled if Apologia was better!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, GeoKitty said:

I’ve been looking for a health curriculum.  I really wanted a 1/2 credit, and it looks like it is a full credit.  It’s 40% off today.... 

It says on the FAQ handout one hour 3 days a week all year or that you could do it all in one semester.  You wouldn't have to do all of the projects, etc, if you thought they took too much time.

• Like 1

Yes, I am getting it for my son. I downloaded the samples a couple of weeks ago and it looks good. 

I will incorporate Food Renegade's Real Food curriculum, learning basic cooking,  teach him how to braid Challah (I don't have a girl around to teach), and Nourishing Traditions food prep. Rewatch Food, Inc and maybe read The Omnivore's Dilemma.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2018 at 3:46 PM, historymatters said:

Yes, I am getting it for my son. I downloaded the samples a couple of weeks ago and it looks good. 

I will incorporate Food Renegade's Real Food curriculum, learning basic cooking,  teach him how to braid Challah (I don't have a girl around to teach), and Nourishing Traditions food prep. Rewatch Food, Inc and maybe read The Omnivore's Dilemma.

I have Nourishing Traditions on my “add-on” list too. I forgot about Food Renegade. That’d be another good one to add. I need to find something for the exercise/fitness component. I want to be sure we have plenty of practical application to go along with science this year. 

• 1 year later...
10 hours ago, BrittiBop16 said:

Those who used this, how did you like it? Did you award a whole credit for it or just a half?

I didn't use it yet, but I did buy it for my DD to use this year and I plan to give her a half credit. She's just going to read and do some/most of the projects but no tests.

• Like 1

I used this book last year in conjunction with Nutrition 101. I named the course nutritional science. We also included Dr. Menton's body of Evidence DVD's. (The Apologia Health can stand alone, I used it as a supplement to the other courses. One of my relatives gave me a free copy that she picked up at a convention. I am very impressed with the book.

This book is a great resource and challenging even for a senior. It is well organized and balanced in the presentation of ideas. I really like it. You do need the notebook to go with it since the tests are in the notebook.

• Like 1

My ds used the Apologia Health last year.  He actually enjoyed it (this is my kid who loves soccer & music but never loves academics), and I was really impressed with it. It covers a good variety of topics (in addition the nutrition and physical body, things like mental health, relationships, home safety).  The projects are really well done and applicable, not makework.  Things like personality/temperament assessment, keeping a food diary and assessing your nutrition, gas/fire/fire alarm assessment of your home are a few examples.

He only had about three months to give to it, so I had him read and answer the on your own questions, but he did not do the study guide or tests.  My intention was that he would only do a fraction of the projects , but I actually assigned a greater percentage of them because I thought they were so good.  

I'm planning to have my younger ds & dd (9th & 10th grades) do Apologia Health for the upcoming year.  They will also be doing Biology at the same time.  We will spend the entire year on it, but spend less time per week.  I will also have them do the study guide and tests.

I am giving 1/2 credit for what my older son did last year (he also did CPR and first aid).  I think if you did the full curriculum and added in some extra (maybe 20-40 additional hours, depending on how you definite your credit), you could award a full credit.

I think the curriculum is appropriate for any high school age student.  You would want the student to have enough maturity to self-reflect appropriately for the projects.  It's not as in-depth as the Advanced Biology/Human Body text, but it's good coverage of the human body, which I think is important it that's not covered in your Biology curriculum.   

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Denise in IN said:

I'm planning to have my younger ds & dd (9th & 10th grades) do Apologia Health for the upcoming year.  They will also be doing Biology at the same time.  We will spend the entire year on it, but spend less time per week. 

This sounds a lot like my plan. We will stretch it out all year, award 1/2 credit, and throw in CPR/First Aid. Will CPR be listed as an extracurricular on the transcript? I also decided that I'm going to hold off on it until my daughter takes Biology next year. 

4 hours ago, BrittiBop16 said:

This sounds a lot like my plan. We will stretch it out all year, award 1/2 credit, and throw in CPR/First Aid. Will CPR be listed as an extracurricular on the transcript? I also decided that I'm going to hold off on it until my daughter takes Biology next year. 

I'm just including CPR/First Aid in the Health credit.

• Like 1

The question about age appropriateness: I think a high school student having finished biology will be better able to absorb the material.  Also the chapter about dating/pregnancy/childbirth content is for more mature students. It is not explicit in an inappropriate way at all, but I would not use it yet with my rising 8th grader. (But this is her - your student might be more mature...) The content of the chapters in general will make more sense after studying biology and learning about cells and life. What I like about it is that it is not just a general anatomy book, but it teaches about health issues like strokes, diabetes, high blood pressure, heart attack, etc... and helps the student to understand what is happening physically in these issues we hear discussed all the time.

In my opinion, this is an exceptional book.

• Like 1