Menu

You never stop worrying about them

gingersmom

My 21 year old daughter has been flying cross country by herself for the past 5 years with no problem. Plane troubles, delayed flights, she's unflappable. She stays at hotel by herself the night before flights, gets shuttle to airport, no problems.

Shes staying at school for most of summer doing a research project. No school food options available plus she's gluten free so she takes Uber to food store tonight.

She leaves food list in room so she calls me so I can look up recipes she plans on making and remind her what she needs. We are on phone for hour when she suddenly shouts her phone is at 1%, she has no charger and the phone goes dead.

I am 2000 miles away, trying to stay calm and wondering if she know what to do. She asked customer service if they had same phone charger she could use (they didn't), asked if they sold chargers (they didnt). She thought about pushing her shopping cart full of food to nearby Marshalls to see if they sold chargers. 

I finally decided to look up store number and call customer service. I told them I was calling from cross country, my daughters phone died and per chance had she been by. They go, it's your mother on the phone and hand it to her.

i order her Uber, track it back to her school and thankfully she called me right away.

I said you could have called taxi. She said she never thought of it. Her last resort was to call police for ride home.

She said she flies with no problem confident about any issue and she just totally blanked this time what to do.

i told her she gave me (more) grey hairs and she is getting a new phone ASAP.

Shes going out with a friend for ice cream to relax ?

Kids!!!!

• Like 5

I'm glad it all worked out.  Maybe your dd would like to keep something like this portable charger in her purse for such occasions.  When shopping last night I saw some wallets that had portable chargers in them, too, which might be easier to use.  She'd still have to remember to charge the charger, of course!

FWIW, my mil tells me she never stops worrying about her dc, either, and her oldest is 60!  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, klmama said:

I'm glad it all worked out.  Maybe your dd would like to keep something like this portable charger in her purse for such occasions.  When shopping last night I saw some wallets that had portable chargers in them, too, which might be easier to use.  She'd still have to remember to charge the charger, of course!

My dd is terrible about letting her phone battery die (and every other device too). Dh got her a portable charger, but it never seems to be charged when she needs it either lol. She is really extremely responsible and reliable - except about charging her devices ?.

OP I'm glad you were able to help your dd out and that everything was ok. You definitely deserve ice cream ?