Menu

What to do in San Antonio in August?

Tap

I am traveling with dd19 for her husbands graduation from Air Force Boot Camp. We will be there for 5 days.  Anything interesting to do in the area for  couple of PNW travelers.   We enjoy the heat, but also respect that it can be a bit draining especially if you aren't acclimated to 100* temps. ( I used to live in Austin)

What is the River Walk? I can't really tell by what I have seen online. Is is just a bunch of shops and restaurants or is it a fun meander of a walk that weaves in and out of different urban sites? We enjoy walking in cities and looking around, but I can't really tell what it is.

The main part of the River Walk is primarily restaurants and hotels.  It can be a pleasant walk and tends to stay cooler than other parts of the city (It is a bit below street level because the city was built up due to flooding).  There is Fiesta Noche del Rio https://www.thesanantonioriverwalk.com/events/fiesta-noche-del-rio on weekend evenings in the summer that is enjoyable. In recent years, the River Walk has expanded north to the Pearl Brewery area; this is also the area where the San Antonio Museum of Art is.  You can also walk south to the King William district which is historically German--it is interesting to walk around there and see some of the architecture.  It tends to be shady; there is the Steve's Homestead that you can tour in the King William District.  Downtown, the Institute of Texan Cultures is interesting.  The Mercado (Mexican market) is another downtown attraction, as is the Alamo.   If you follow  Mission Trail south of downtown, you will find several other missions which are interesting to visit.  The San Antonio Zoo is nice if you like zoos.  The McNay Art Museum is several miles from downtown.

Will you have a car?

• Like 1

We enjoyed visiting the Missions. 

The Riverwalk is pretty touristy but is basically restaurants along the river. If you like TexMex or Mexican food you will find something delicious.

You can drive down to Padre Island National Seashore, it’s a couple hours, but really pretty. I think it’s too late to see the sea turtles hatch, but you can check the schedule online. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jdahlquist said:

The main part of the River Walk is primarily restaurants and hotels.  It can be a pleasant walk and tends to stay cooler than other parts of the city (It is a bit below street level because the city was built up due to flooding).  There is Fiesta Noche del Rio https://www.thesanantonioriverwalk.com/events/fiesta-noche-del-rio on weekend evenings in the summer that is enjoyable. In recent years, the River Walk has expanded north to the Pearl Brewery area; this is also the area where the San Antonio Museum of Art is.  You can also walk south to the King William district which is historically German--it is interesting to walk around there and see some of the architecture.  It tends to be shady; there is the Steve's Homestead that you can tour in the King William District.  Downtown, the Institute of Texan Cultures is interesting.  The Mercado (Mexican market) is another downtown attraction, as is the Alamo.   If you follow  Mission Trail south of downtown, you will find several other missions which are interesting to visit.  The San Antonio Zoo is nice if you like zoos.  The McNay Art Museum is several miles from downtown.

Will you have a car?

Those are great ideas. We will have a car. 

You could take a scenic drive north (about an hour) and visit me!

I live near Wimberley-- it is a small 'tourist' town. Besides all sorts of shops we also have a great 'swimming hole (Blue Hole) and park.  Even on the hottest days the temps by the water are about 20 degrees lower-- the water temp is COLD (spring fed creek) and the water is crystal clear...  Lots of lovely giant cypress trees.....

• Like 3

Just now, Jann in TX said:

You could take a scenic drive north (about an hour) and visit me!

I live near Wimberley-- it is a small 'tourist' town. Besides all sorts of shops we also have a great 'swimming hole (Blue Hole) and park.  Even on the hottest days the temps by the water are about 20 degrees lower-- the water temp is COLD (spring fed creek) and the water is crystal clear...  Lots of lovely giant cypress trees.....

Hmmmm. That may be a great idea!  We will be with other people, but I would love to have a day to slip out of the group and have some down time with dd.  She will be moving in the next year and this is likely our last trip together. 

Depending upon how far from San Antonio you want to go, you could go to Stonewall, TX, the the Lyndon Johnson Ranch--it is part state park and part national park.  There is an old homestead with some animals, picnic and bbq area, and tours (I have not been since the house has been opened as part of the tour)--it is a good outing when you have people of different ages and interests.  Pedernales Falls State Park and Guadalupe State Park are also nearby.  

You could go to New Braunfels and go tubing in the river, go to the town of Gruene for antiquing, shopping and the oldest dance hall in Texas, or to Schlitterbahn waterpark.--but it can be crowded in August.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jdahlquist said:

You could go to New Braunfels and go tubing in the river, go to the town of Gruene for antiquing, shopping and the oldest dance hall in Texas, or to Schlitterbahn waterpark.--but it can be crowded in August.

I second Schlitterban.  It's my favorite waterpark because it has lots of rides for those that like medium to low thrill.  I love all of the tube rides in the old section of the park.  If you love lazy rivers but wish they were longer and more exciting, this is the place for you.  

• Like 1

The San Antonio Museum of Art is a fantastic way to spend a hot afternoon. It’s at the very far end of the Riverwalk or the the water-taxi ride there is nice.  I haven’t been in a while, but they used to have free jazz bands with dancing in the foyer on Thursday evenings. They have a lovely collection and interesting traveling exhibits.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tap said:

I am traveling with dd19 for her husbands graduation from Air Force Boot Camp. We will be there for 5 days.  Anything interesting to do in the area for  couple of PNW travelers.   We enjoy the heat, but also respect that it can be a bit draining especially if you aren't acclimated to 100* temps. ( I used to live in Austin)

What is the River Walk? I can't really tell by what I have seen online. Is is just a bunch of shops and restaurants or is it a fun meander of a walk that weaves in and out of different urban sites? We enjoy walking in cities and looking around, but I can't really tell what it is.

I have actually been to this part of Texas, for nearly the same reason (Army basic). ? 

The river walk was really nice. Very old style "mall" in the classic sense of the term, just a promenade of sorts. It was not super fancy, or super urban. It was just a very pleasant walk.

I liked the Alamo. I'm Latina so it resonated with me as a deeper historical site. The Mercado was  mildly interesting but freaking HOT and with small children a definite "maybe next time".

We did go to the Museum of Art for a short time but had two tiny ones with us so we left.

We at as much of the local food as possible. It was magnificent.

I picked prickly pears off the hotel cacti and rinsed and ate them, because I'm from the Northwest and that's what we do with edible plants. They were okay.

Have fun, and tell your son in law thank you for his service!

• Like 1

Take the boat tour on the river.  It's kitschy, but usually the guide will tell you a bit about the area and things to see.

Visit the state fair park and the tower.  There's a 4D "ride" at the bottom, but the view from the top is great.

Sea World, Fiesta Texas, and the zoo are all fun.  There are many caves around the area to go see if you have a rental car.

And not specifically to do, but your dd would probably be a much appreciated wife if she brought a set of loungewear for her dh to wear in the hotel room.  Family day is great, but the opportunity to rest after several weeks of waking up early and always being on task is fantastic. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Tap said:

It will be stinkin' hot and humid. Seriously. So if you're planning to walk somewhere, plan on being able to casually stroll. :-)

And hey--I live just down the road. Jann and I could meet you for lunch somewhere. Oh, the Gristmill in Gruene would be lovely.  :-)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Tap said:

We were just in San Antonio this last weekend.  (We stayed at the Drury Inn and Recommend it greatly. It is ON the Riverwalk. They had free breakfast AND free dinner provided, plus popcorn and drinks all day. They were very nice and we got a discount because my husband works for the state. The parking situation is VERY tight. OTOH, the parking all over SAn aNtonio is tight.)

The Riverwalk is a long river, with boats going up and down it (That you can buy a ticket for a tour on), and shops on the side. If you have never gone on the Riverwalk, it is worth doing. Depending on where you want to go you may even be able to use it as your transportation. From previous visits to San Antonio, I know there is a mall on the Riverwalk, and the Alamo itself is very close.  We got carolled in our hotel room by a cathedral somewhere close by with a bell-sounding like instrument playing music. Gorgeous!

We did not want to do outside stuff, so we went to Witte Museum and looked at some history things.

Looking up a Mexican market in San Antonio can also be fun to find items that are harder to find in other places -- the multi-color blankets with tassles, the Cotton sheath dresses/shirts with the intricate embroidery, leather wallets with embossing.  And such.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jdahlquist said:

Depending upon how far from San Antonio you want to go, you could go to Stonewall, TX, the the Lyndon Johnson Ranch--it is part state park and part national park.  There is an old homestead with some animals, picnic and bbq area, and tours (I have not been since the house has been opened as part of the tour)--it is a good outing when you have people of different ages and interests.  Pedernales Falls State Park and Guadalupe State Park are also nearby.  

I have visited the area many times over my lifetime and the time we went to LBJ Ranch when I was a teen still sticks out as a very fond memory.  Schlitterbahn is also a lot of fun:)

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, skimomma said:

I have visited the area many times over my lifetime and the time we went to LBJ Ranch when I was a teen still sticks out as a very fond memory.  Schlitterbahn is also a lot of fun:)

My kids loved to go to the LBJ ranch.  When DD was young, she invited a friend from school to play mini golf.  I was driving along listening to DD tell her friend what a lovely time we had at the LBJ ranch a few weeks before for Easter.  The friend replied, "Yes, it is fun; we didn't go for Easter this year because everyone came to our house; but we were there at Christmas when the tree was lighted; Grandma had everything looking so nice..."  It was not until then that I realized that she was LBJ's great granddaughter.  DD wasn't realizing that her visit to the picnic grounds at LBJ ranch for Easter egg hunting was much different than her friend's experience.

• Like 3

August is pretty miserable (as you know, from living in Austin). I would plan on doing stuff early and doing stuff late, and taking a siesta or being inside from 11-4.

A few thoughts:

If you get a River Taxi pass, you can get rides up to the museums, etc.  That said, getting a River Taxi to actually show up is no small feat.  They no longer have regular rotating on a time schedule stops. It's very much a call and hope for the best. We waited for half an hour at the Pearl for a taxi and just completely gave up. You are better off walking what you can downtown and then driving separately to the Pearl.

The missions are a must, imo....You don't have to hit all five, but definitely get outside of the Alamo (which doesn't feel like a mission at all). When you go to Mission San Jose (the biggest, and one of the best preserved), be sure to watch the indoor movie (hokey, but it gives you the history inside of blessed air conditioning) and then stop in for lunch at Nichas Comida Mexicana Southside on Roosevelt.  It'll be about 3 blocks away.  Hands down, best authentic Tex-Mex food we had. You want either the sopapillas or the tres leches cake for dessert.  Save room for it.

If you have a car, take a day trip up to the LBJ ranch. On the way, stop in at the little antique shops in Johnson City.  One of the most amazing shops (especially if you like mid-century mod, but there was a lot of rustic bohemia too) is at Main and Lady Bird Lane. The LBJ ranch is interesting...but I liked the 1900s german ranch on the same site just as much. When you are done, I, personally, would either go back onto 281 up to Marble Falls or go on into Fredericksburg. Fredericksburg has a really fun downtown, and there are some good restaurants there as well.

You are also only 2.5 hours from Padre Island National Seashore if you needed to some hot sandy beach time.  The water stays a lot cleaner there than at Port Aransas in August. 

My other must eat in San Antonio? Torchy's Tacos. https://torchystacos.com/location/lincoln-heights/  You want the Mr. Orange.  Skip dessert there (it is gross) and drive 5 minutes over to the Pearl.  Go to Lick Ice-cream.  Walk around the Pearl and enjoy your ice-cream....there is a little side trail that will lead you to the north end of the riverwalk. Walk around a bit....the undersides of the bridges all have different decorations.

FWIW, Lulu's of the 3lb cinnamon roll fame is in a rough neighborhood.  Go only during daylight, and be prepared for some aggressive panhandlers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ellie said:

It will be stinkin' hot and humid. Seriously. So if you're planning to walk somewhere, plan on being able to casually stroll. ?

And hey--I live just down the road. Jann and I could meet you for lunch somewhere. Oh, the Gristmill in Gruene would be lovely.  ?

OOO-- next to Wimberley Gruene (pronounced 'green') and especially the Grist Mill ( this is a restaurant and is awesome outdoor --but heavily shaded)  are great-- only about 30 minutes north for you--  lots of shops in Gruene-- (but I'm still partial to the Wimberley shops).

• Like 2

We were just in San Antonio and Austin for spring break. Ditto to a lot of what has been said but my favorite thing was bat watching at a bridge. Super cool. The bat bridge is near the Pearl Brewery so you combine it with a hipster dinner and ice cream. 

We also liked the Missions, the River WLk boat ride and the Art Museum and Zoo. 

• Like 1