Menu

Father's Day: Need gift ideas- Kindle book needed

I would so appreciate help, ladies. My dad is 82 and he LOVES to read!  It is his favorite thing by far. His Kindle Fire is glued to him wherever he goes.Could you help me pick a book?  This is an intelligent man who enjoys learning new things via reading. He grew up on the farm, is a Christian, is patriotic, has a special love for WWII, and has a wonderful sense of humor. He can read both hard/challenging books as well as humorous.  He mainly loves a really well-written, well-told story regardless of genre.  I can list a few titles from his booklist to give you an idea of things he has read and enjoyed.  

Thank you so much for any suggestions!  I have no idea what else to get him!  He is the man who has everything he wants and isn't really impressed with anything he doesn't need!  Ha!  Ok, let me hear from you!   ?

The Cruelest Miles by Salisbury,

AWOL on the Appalachian Trail by Miller,

Into Africa:The Epic Adventures of Stanley and Livingstone by Dugard

The Pastures of Beyond: An Old Cowboy Looks Back at the Old West by Hyde

Books by C.J. Box (he read all of these)

The Light Within Me by Earhardt

Wild Cow Tales by Green

Karen J. Hasley bookks (he read all of these)

Ghost Soldiers by Sides

The Wild Trees:A Story of Passion and Daring by Preston

Crazy Stories, Sane God Lessons from the Most Unexpected Places in the Bible by Turner

Bear in the Backseat Books 1 & 2 by Jourdan

My go to for books for my dad is the NPR booklist. You can sort by genre, etc. https://apps.npr.org/best-books-2017/#/tag/biography-and-memoir

Biographies are always a good choice for men like this I think... is there a favorite politician/famous person he'd like to read about? 

Or, maybe a collection of essays? I get my dad a book of "the best science and nature writing" every year for Christmas. https://www.amazon.com/Best-American-Science-Nature-Writing/dp/1328715515/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1528151046&sr=8-1&keywords=best+science+and+nature+writing+2017

Oh, and I got him this book for Christmas too. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0525590056/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Some favorites of my father (who died some years ago) who also enjoyed reading about WWII~

Upton Sinclair's  Lanny Budd series.  The first book is World's End.

ETA: Here's the Kindle link: World's End (The Lanny Budd Novels Book 1)

Winston Churchill's six volume The Second World War (book series)

ETA: Here's the Kindle link: The Gathering Storm: The Second World War, Volume 1 (Winston Churchill World War II Collection)

Your father might also like  Classic Feynman: All the Adventures of a Curious Character which is a compilation of two of Richard Feynman's earlier books -- "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!" and "What Do You Care What Other People Think?".  The edition I've linked above is wonderful because it includes a CD of Richard Feynman telling some great stories of his time at Los Alamos.

ETA:  Here are the Kindle links to the two books (no CD in this case):  Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!  and   What Do You Care What Other People Think?

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 1

What about Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand? Some of it is brutal to read, but it is a true story from WWII, and the protagonist has a Christian conversion at the end.

Or Seabiscuit, also by Laura Hillenbrand.

I like the CJ Box books, too. With that in mind, would he read Michael Connelly? I have read all of his. Maybe start with The Lincoln Lawyer, because the tone is a little lighter than the Harry Bosch books.

3 hours ago, Pippen said:

I read and enjoyed this book; however, I could imagine that some might find it disquieting as it reveals some dark aspects of the university.

Regards,
Kareni

12 hours ago, Kareni said:

Perhaps he might enjoy some of the collected columns of war correspondent Ernie Pyle.

This book is on sale for 99 cents ~  Last Chapter

as is this one ~ Ernie Pyle in England

These others are more costly:

$10.99  Brave Men

Regards,
Kareni

Thanks, I just bought Last Chapter!

These reminded me of the Studs Terkel oral history books. I've read the depression years one, but there's also a WWII volume. 

https://www.amazon.com/Good-War-Oral-History-World/dp/1565843436/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1528219479&sr=1-3&keywords=studs+terkel

• Like 1