Menu

SAT results in middle school

Is there a reason to keep the score? DD took it to qualify for CTY classes and to have a baseline. She qualifies for SET, but we're not sure what the purpose of that is. Do we need to keep the score in order to continue qualifying for CTY or similar organizations? Or maybe even need this score for dual enrollment? 

• Like 1

First of all, congratulations! 

For CTY, etc, no-they’ll keep it on file and a copy of the student report is sufficient if she wants to do a TIPS or NUMATS camp (or for Davidson programs).

For DE, yes-you have to have SAT or ACT send an official score report, so unless she plans to take it again before she is likely to do DE, you may wish to save. DD did both, so we didn’t officially keep her SAT since the ACT doesn’t delete, but I am glad we were able to get ACT to send an official report since she turned out to want to start DE far sooner than we had planned! 

• Thanks 1

From what I’ve seen, admissions at schools that are at all competitive know what talent search is :). (DD has answered the question “what’s your ACT score” with “well, when I was 10, I got a....”-and the reply has been “so, our top scholarships are....make sure you apply by November 1 so you’ll be eligible”-or, once “you know,  since you have more than 12 college credits, you could go ahead and apply as a transfer now....”.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

My kid took the June 2nd SAT too qualify for CTY SET. Regardless of whether he makes SET, I am not keeping his 12 y.o score. i See nothing to gain if you are saving it for college.  If my kid got a 780 math 5 years from now as a 12th grader that would seem very impressive.  But, if I saw that he got a 720 as a 7th grader, I would wonder why in 5 years he couldn't correct no more than 6 errors for an 800.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, gstharr said:

My kid took the June 2nd SAT too qualify for CTY SET. Regardless of whether he makes SET, I am not keeping his 12 y.o score. i See nothing to gain if you are saving it for college.  If my kid got a 780 math 5 years from now as a 12th grader that would seem very impressive.  But, if I saw that he got a 720 as a 7th grader, I would wonder why in 5 years he couldn't correct no more than 6 errors for an 800.

That was something at the back of my mind. I guess I'm thinking this is about as good as it gets lol. I wasn't actually saving it for college, more for in case she wants to take a college class or use it to apply to private high schools  (one school will accept SAT scores though all of them require SSAT as well). Dd might want to take it again next year in 8th grade since it won't count again. 

It really comes down to-is she willing to take it again if it is helpful to get into a college class or high school program?  And will she need it on short notice, where there may not be a test date available? In DD's case, she'd taken both tests to try to get into DA, and while DA took unofficial scores, I was really, really glad that ACT could send her official scores, because the local college accepting her to take a class, and doing well in that class, helped her recover from that major disappointment, and we could get her rejection in November, apply for the CC and go through the complete process before classes there ended in December, and start her in January.  Having that option is worth having a lower score on her records-and if it turns out her highest areas don't move, well, that's because they really don't have much room to move, and were exceptional even for a high school student when she did it the first time.

I will say going through the college application process with a much more average student gave me a different view. When you're with kids who are thrilled because they have moved from an 800 to a 1000 between junior and senior year because now they are eligible for the state scholarship, it's hard to see a SET level score from 6th or 7th grade holding a kid back any. And I know a lot of kids with marginal ACT and SAT scores who are doing just fine in college. Maybe not at Harvard-Princeton-Yale-MIT, but they're making it. Our kids will too, wherever they end up landing.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/5/2018 at 4:33 PM, gstharr said:

Just missed  SET.  The June 2nd curve robbed him.  But I found reasons to keep the official SAT score.  Starting to plan next for summer for the new 8th grader ( yes, its early. But CTY and CTD apps are due January for best selections).  Then, at 9th grade, he will move from H.S programs to  pre-collegiate programs.  Many require official SAT scores.  Also early college admissions programs require an official score as well.  Not very likely for us, but keeping option open.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gstharr said:

Just missed  SET.  The June 2nd curve robbed him.  But I found reasons to keep the official SAT score.  Starting to plan next for summer for the new 8th grader ( yes, its early. But CTY and CTD apps are due January for best selections).  Then, at 9th grade, he will move from H.S programs to  pre-collegiate programs.  Many require official SAT scores.  Also early college admissions programs require an official score as well.  Not very likely for us, but keeping option open.

I am sorry about the June curve. That is frustrating. Has your kiddo done any of the CTD camps? I have been eyeing them and wondering if they are good. 

6 hours ago, SeaConquest said:

I am sorry about the June curve. That is frustrating. Has your kiddo done any of the CTD camps? I have been eyeing them and wondering if they are good. 

Thanks. He is quite happy knowing that he missed 700 math by 1 question (1330 overall), he is at CTD Northwestern taking a vex robotic class. The class finishes August 10. I will provide update when he gets home.  Overall, CTD provides far more traditional summer  academic classes for high schoolers than CTY.  I am planning for the 5 week AP chemistry following 9th grade  (requires alg 1&2. trig, pre-calc, and Honors chem).   Also,  CTD does provide aid, but imo not as much as CTY.

• 2 months later...
On 7/26/2018 at 9:54 AM, SeaConquest said:

Now, that we are settled into the school year. Here is the new 8th grader's report on CTD. He thought it was much better than any of his 4 CTY residential programs. Not so much because of academic intensity. It was that each week he got to pick his social activities.  He went on different trips to Millennium Park, Museum of Science, Chicago Art Museum, and the zoo. Also, several excursions into Evanston.  All trips were included in the fee. At CTY, it's all stay on campus.  We already know that he won't be able to do both programs next summer because of his Young Scholars functions.  He picked CTD for next summer.  Forgot to mention, CTD has way more AP classes than CT, and is a little cheaper. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/4/2018 at 3:15 PM, crazyforlatin said:

Is there a reason to keep the score?

I'm not familiar with this. What does it mean to "keep the score"? What do you do or not do, to keep or not keep the score? Is it similar with ACT, AP and other such tests? (We have a middle schooler, who may take some of these tests soon, probably an AP, but we don't know the system at all.)

18 hours ago, HomeForNow said:

I'm not familiar with this. What does it mean to "keep the score"? What do you do or not do, to keep or not keep the score? Is it similar with ACT, AP and other such tests? 

SAT scores for test taken before 9th grade are automatically deleted. You have to write to the College Bard and request that the score be kept.

• 1 month later...
On 10/21/2018 at 10:35 AM, HomeForNow said:

^ Thanks. Is it the same for ACT?

On the other hand, what about AP exams taken in middle school? Do they fully count?

Yes, AP exam scores taken in middle school remain on the permanent record.  SAT and SAT Subject Test scores obtained in middle school, however, will automatically be deleted at the end of the school year unless you submit a letter to the College Board requesting that the scores be kept.

On 6/4/2018 at 1:15 PM, crazyforlatin said:

Or maybe even need this score for dual enrollment? 

Foothill only wanted AP scores. I think only Mission is willing to look at SAT scores. 

On 6/4/2018 at 7:40 PM, crazyforlatin said:

I'm not sure I want a 7th grade score to be part of her application.

DS13 (8th grade) Nov 2016, 6th grade SAT scores didn’t show up but his June 2017, 6th grade SAT scores did when we created his account yesterday (his birthday). His 7th grade and 8th grade SAT subject tests scores are all in.  All scores (two SAT and two subject tests) did show up on his College Board paper report in August 2018.

We haven’t look in depth at his account so it could be somewhere just not on his main SAT results page which shows one SAT and two subject tests scores. His 6th grade AP score automatically showed up which was nice. We had to link AP scores when we created DS14’s account last year. 

DS13’s score history actually tells a story of a kid who can improve his scores. So in his case, it doesn’t do any harm.

Edited by Arcadia
Typing error
  • Like 1