Menu

Prayer thread?

ktgrok

Can we have an ongoing thread of prayer requests and maybe praises and such? Obviously if there is something big and urgent it could be made a separate thread, but for the everyday stuff, maybe post it here? If y'all think this should be moved to a club or something let me know. 

I'll start:

Requesting prayers for my dumb hound dog, Tracker, who has a swollen paw (pretty sure it is an insect sting...he's had benedryl and able to walk on it now..vet opens at 1pm if he needs to go in), for safe travels for my DS 18 who is driving to the coast today and back to go kayaking (he's a fairly new driver), and for my kids to stay healthy (one was sick recently) so they can attend VBS tomorrow - they look forward to it all year. 

Edited to add - DD8 now has a very low grade fever..sigh. It was a 24 hour bug for DS so hoping she rebounds quickly.

tracker paw.jpg

• Like 3

Mini update! I can now see individual toes on the dogs paw and he is not limping at all! And, even better, my daughters temperature is back to normal. She has a fever and her allergies are always worse in the morning. Mine have been bothering me too so I think maybe that was what it was. She is certainly not acting sick at all. Keeping her home from church today with my husband but praying she is well for vacation Bible school tomorrow. She looks forward to this all year. Husband is under orders to keep her resting and hydrated while I am gone. And I gave her Elderberry And vitamin D.

• Like 5

can I ask for prayers for me?   that I can get the tests I need to actually determine what is happening?  I think that is my biggest fear - that we won't get to the bottom of what is actually going on.

• Like 1

I'd like to add on to this if that's ok? 

A dear friend of our family (like an uncle) is having his yearly PET scan tomorrow. He has stage 4 lung cancer and it's been in remission. I'm praying that it stays in remission and he can enjoy another year with his family. They've been through a lot over the past few years and I'm really anxious about his scan tomorrow. 

I'm adding everyone to my prayer list as well. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

can I ask for prayers for me?   that I can get the tests I need to actually determine what is happening?  I think that is my biggest fear - that we won't get to the bottom of what is actually going on.

of course!!!! Praying for wisdom for your doctors and for clarity and healing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hjffkj said:

Can I ask for prayers that our house sells quickly? It went on the market today and I'm a nervous wreck. We put a lot of work into it the last 7 weeks and I'm exhausted and ready to be done with it. 

Praying you sell quickly and easily.

2 hours ago, Mama Geek said:

A friend had a miscarriage in the last week and ended up needing a blood transfusion.  Please pray for her and her family.

I will pray for all you you ladies.

Praying for healing and strength.

10 minutes ago, Amanda Pugliese said:

I'd like to add on to this if that's ok? 

A dear friend of our family (like an uncle) is having his yearly PET scan tomorrow. He has stage 4 lung cancer and it's been in remission. I'm praying that it stays in remission and he can enjoy another year with his family. They've been through a lot over the past few years and I'm really anxious about his scan tomorrow. 

I'm adding everyone to my prayer list as well. 

Praying for good results!!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, peacelovehomeschooling said:

I do not know who this is, but peeked at his blog.  My gosh, he is young and has such young children.  I will pray for him. 

Thank you. His wife has a Catholic Homeschool/Family blog, and she and I have corresponded a few times when I've asked her for advice/prayers. Seeing his cancer return broke my heart. He is so incredibly...brave doesn't seem the right term...but something. And yes, 9 young children. 

I would also love prayers for several struggles. Right now I am struggling with my relationship with God and my faith in general. I am not “feeling” a relationship with Him and understand that it is due to my faults but most of the time I feel so blah when I try to read my Bible or pray. It doesn’t fee like there is a connection. Almost like He is so far away and waiting on me to reach out in the right way but I don’t know how to or seem to be doing it wrong. 

I am also having a couple of medical issues. I believe I must be starting menopause because I haven’t had my monthly in two months now even though previously I have had issues with them being extreme and having to take medication to help a few months back. I took a pregnancy test even though I knew the answer was negative. I am only 43 but my mom and aunts went through it early. I am not sleeping great, have the most embarrassing issue of incontinence lately which I hate to admit even though I know it’s normal after 6 kids ranging from 8.5-10 lbs, General moodiness with some depression at times, ringing ears nearly constantly, and swelling feet. The ear ringing and swelling feet are extremely difficult to cope with. I have been to doctor about both. It was thought my blood pressure meds could be related to ear ringing and it got better for a short time with new medication but has returned. The swelling feet happen any time I am not in bed with them up. I am on a fluid pill along with another pill that I take for a separate reason but one of its benefits is lowering blood pressure and helping remove fluid. I also take a regular bp pill. My bp is just borderline high without medication but for some reason I can’t get control of the fluid.  I constantly breathe heavily and am winded without exertion which according to doctor is due to fluid. The meds helped right away but it seems the last few months it hasn’t been working. Not sure if it has anything to do with hormones. My weight has increased lately, I’m plus sized,  but when pills are working great I will see an 8 lb difference on the days I don’t have swollen feet. I can’t seem to lose no matter what I try. So please pray for that as well. I just feel tired of it all almost to tired to worry about it. 

Lastly last week my suburban’s motor broke and it will cost $6000 to repair it. We just spent $3600 a few months back and it wiped our savings. We have looked at other options but due to finances, we can not afford anything that seats us all that is newer or less miles so we have to repair ours. We had to take money out of IRA to pay for it as that was our only option. Then today my sons truck was put in shop and it is costing $650 for repairs due tomorrow. His truck is what we have been using til we can fix mine so we can’t wait to fix it. Even though his isn’t ideal, only seats 4, we have managed but he has a new job and has to have it back. Plus he is leaving for college out of state in a couple months. Basically his has to be fixed. Then lastly our air conditioner went out in a portion of our house so we have to buy a new. It’s a window air so not super expensive but still in the south, it’s too hot with no air. 

I am am trying to trust God with all these things and praying that he will provide but struggling because I don’t feel I am good enough to ask those things of him. See 1st paragraph. So basically I am struggling financially, physically, emotionally and spiritually. I am sorry this is so long but could use your prayers. I’ll probably delete this in the future since it’s so much info but  until then thank you for letting me vent and for reading. 

• Like 1

Oh, honey, of course you are good enough to ask him! God doesn't make junk, and he made you in his image, as his precious daughter. Your health issues are making it hard to feel that right now, but it's true. You don't have to feel it for it to be true. "Lord, I believe. Please help my unbelief."

I will pray your doctor's get things figured out, and for strength for you in the meantime. 

As for your spiritual life, maybe try something different? Listen to a new podcast that is different than your normal thing, or read some different books? Attend a different church service just as a one off? 

Oh, and this book was really good...maybe see if your library has it? https://www.amazon.com/Other-Side-Fear-Found-Peace/dp/1612789668

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Longramblings,

That’s a LOT going on.  Death by a thousand cuts.  Praying for you here too ?

Thanks. Strange that with all this I am not as stressed as I usually am. I don't know if its due to my tiredness, mild depression/hormones, or God helping me be at peace but I am more calm than I usually am. I would say its God but I don't have lots of experience in being great with trusting Him to work things out. I usually try to take control of them and with this I just feel like I just can't do that any more. I am disconnecting and saying God you have to handle this because I am tired of spinning my wheels and getting nowhere. If this is faith, then I guess that is good. If not, maybe you can advise me on how to be a better Christian. 

• Like 1

Everyone's requests have been in my prayers.

Keep the house prayers going.  12 hours on the market and we already got an offer, a pretty good one too!  But we have 4 showings scheduled for today so we'll let those happen before making a decision.

• Like 3

I've added everyone to my prayers. 

Katie, I'm glad everyone in your house (people and puppy) are on the mend! 

hjffkj- here's hoping for some more great offers after today's showings. 

We're doing a neat book study in church, which is having us carve some time out each day for quiet reflection, journaling and prayer. This thread came along at a great time. 

1 hour ago, jrn said:

Adding all of you to my prayers. 

I got divorced today I could use prayers too please. 

Oh...prayers for sure. Even when it is for the best, it's still such a hard thing. An amputation, rather than the breaking of a contract. Like an amputation, sometimes it is needed, but it's still traumatic. 

Hugs. 

• Like 1

I am stepping out of my comfort zone today and going to a mom’s group meeting at my church. I’ve tried this once before and didn’t quite feel comfortable please pray that it goes well. Or that it is obvious that it is an a fit, if it isn’t. Really trying to meet more Christian friends. I don’t actually have any in real life.I am stepping out of my comfort zone today and going to a mom’s group meeting at my church. I’ve tried this once before and didn’t quite feel comfortable please pray that it goes well. Or that it is obvious that it is an a fit, if it isn’t. Really trying to meet more Christian friends. I don’t actually have any in real life.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

I am stepping out of my comfort zone today and going to a mom’s group meeting at my church. I’ve tried this once before and didn’t quite feel comfortable please pray that it goes well. Or that it is obvious that it is an a fit, if it isn’t. Really trying to meet more Christian friends. I don’t actually have any in real life.I am stepping out of my comfort zone today and going to a mom’s group meeting at my church. I’ve tried this once before and didn’t quite feel comfortable please pray that it goes well. Or that it is obvious that it is an a fit, if it isn’t. Really trying to meet more Christian friends. I don’t actually have any in real life.

I realized about a year ago that my only Catholic friends were all family members. None of my friends were even Christian.  Because of that I join a catholic homeschool group that is essentially just a playtime get together once a week.  Sometimes we do field trips.  From there, I participated in a woman's study group for a few weeks.  It was way out of my comfort zone but I'm glad I did it. I made one good friend in that process which is worth it.  All that to say, I hope it goes well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hjffkj said:

I realized about a year ago that my only Catholic friends were all family members. None of my friends were even Christian.  Because of that I join a catholic homeschool group that is essentially just a playtime get together once a week.  Sometimes we do field trips.  From there, I participated in a woman's study group for a few weeks.  It was way out of my comfort zone but I'm glad I did it. I made one good friend in that process which is worth it.  All that to say, I hope it goes well.

Same boat except I don’t even have any Catholic family members. I am a convert. And my husband isn’t Catholic either. 

I did go, and everyone was very nice. I feel like maybe I talk to more than I should have, but otherwise it was good. Lots of kids, lots of chaos. It was the first time I’ve ever been in a group of women were most people have lots of kids, LOL. Normally I’m the only one with more than two children. And I asked and they said it would be fine to bring the older kids. Today they were in vacation Bible school, but I can bring them anytime. And there is one more member who wasn’t there today who does homeschool. Thank you for the prayers I felt them.Thank you for the prayers I felt them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ktgrok said:

Same boat except I don’t even have any Catholic family members. I am a convert. And my husband isn’t Catholic either. 

I did go, and everyone was very nice. I feel like maybe I talk to more than I should have, but otherwise it was good. Lots of kids, lots of chaos. It was the first time I’ve ever been in a group of women were most people have lots of kids, LOL. Normally I’m the only one with more than two children. And I asked and they said it would be fine to bring the older kids. Today they were in vacation Bible school, but I can bring them anytime. And there is one more member who wasn’t there today who does homeschool. Thank you for the prayers I felt them.Thank you for the prayers I felt them.

I am so glad it went well. It is so hard to put yourself out there. I think people think that introverts are the only ones that have it hard at get togethers but as an extrovert, I always second guess whether or not I talked too much. Self doubt is a bad thing. I will continue to pray it goes well from now on. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, peacelovehomeschooling said:

I am just now catching up on the thread, so obviously just seeing this.  I am glad it went well and hope that you are able to find some new friends.  Stepping out like you did today is just so very hard.  We have been at our church for a year and I still haven't made any friends and really don't know anyone.  While they have Sunday School for the kids up through High School, the adult programs are held in member's homes during the week (they have Wed night programs at church too).   I admit, I hate that.  It is impossible right now for me to go to anything outside of my home during the evenings during the week.   I really like our church and feel it is a good fit for us.  But I want (and need) at least one or two friends and was so hoping to have some by now.   It would be nice if they had some small groups that met at the church on Sunday morning before church.

I know you will hate me saying this, but you know the best way to make that happen is to offer to start it up, right? Or maybe message whomever coordinates the small groups and suggest a brunch group?

And almost every mom there said they were hesitant to come at first, and that they really felt like that loved the parish but hadn't made any friends there. So you probably are not alone in how you feel. 

thought I'd give an update.  thank you everyone for your prayers.

I did a blood draw on monday - which has it's own story.  I woke in the middle of the night - and ate a banana.  it was supposed to be fasting bloodwork.  no way was I postponing again.  so - I fasted all day and went in monday afternoon.    I even had a shudddering event while I was there when one of the drs could see me.

I went in wednesday with my doc for follow up. ... and I did a shuddering event.   we did a full metabolic panel.  given my history, test results and what she was seeing - she thinks it's my liver.  that could cause me to not adequately absorb electrolytes, inflamation, enzymes, et. al.  possibly even make my body think it was dehydrated (numbers supported that) despite the fact I easily drink eight 20oz glasses of water a day.

so - we did an infusion of electrolytes/ringers/b12/tocomin/potassium/magnesium and a few others. the advantage is it bypasses the gut. I was spacey afterwards - so I laid down on one of the exam beds.   drank a lot of Nuun while I was there.   (the combination of nuun and 500mg/600mg of potassium are nearly as helpful as coconut water. and it's cheaper.)

we'll see how it works.  she's recommending every week for six weeks - but understands that's not necessarily affordable.  but I plan on doing at least a couple more before dh and I leave for europe.  it's too big a deal for my functioning.  and she made some tweaks to my sups/rx.

today - my head hurts, my eye hurts, my nasal cavities hurt . . . some miscreant brought home a virus - and now I have it. . . it started with a sore throat on monday.  (two denizens have been sick.)

Asking for prayer for discernment and courage, and patience. 

I have to work to send dd to college as she did not get the scholarships we hoped for (she did well, and got at least 3K, maybe up to 5K, but that's it). Full time work has not been on my radar for 30 years. Now I found a job (was offered today) but there are several reasons I don't want to take it--and several very good reasons I should. 

I don't know what to do. I said I'd give word by Monday. I'll probably start another thread about it! 

Please pray. For some, it'd be a no-brainer, but it is a hard decision for me. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Chris in VA said:

Asking for prayer for discernment and courage, and patience. 

I have to work to send dd to college as she did not get the scholarships we hoped for (she did well, and got at least 3K, maybe up to 5K, but that's it). Full time work has not been on my radar for 30 years. Now I found a job (was offered today) but there are several reasons I don't want to take it--and several very good reasons I should. 

I don't know what to do. I said I'd give word by Monday. I'll probably start another thread about it! 

Please pray. For some, it'd be a no-brainer, but it is a hard decision for me. 

Praying. I'm glad you have until monday. I find that letting things settle a bit helps. Or typing it all out as if I was going to ask a friend about it..by the time I'm done usually the answer has become obvious. 

Ugh, I just got an email from the mom's group I went to. They said that after thinking about it, it may not be appropriate to have elementary aged children at the meetings, due to the sometimes sensitive nature of mom's talking about parenting issues, their own prayer requests, struggles, etc. So I may not be able to go the meetings after all. 

I get what they are saying, and I don't really disagree, but my feelings are still a bit hurt, honestly. It was so hard to get myself to go, and then this. Blech.

They did say I could definitely bring my kids to the playdates, family events, etc. But still, not a nice feeling. And harder to get to know everyone and feel comfortable if they are going to the meetings twice a month and I'm just coming to the other stuff. 

And then the local homeschool group that a mom at Mass told me about, turns out it doesn't meet over the summer. The admin hasn't added me to the facebook group and I'm assuming that is why the delay. 

Feeling bummed. 

Oh, and the kids, who had gotten better, now are sounding congested. No fever, but some postnasal drip with cough, etc. Sigh. 

• Sad 1

I will add everyone to my prayers, too.  I also practice meditation so if no one minds, what I try to do is visualize each person who has a need and then surround them in light and try to mentally hold them in my thoughts for several breaths.  I am a Christian and I believe this is just my way of praying for others, but it is a little new-agey for some people's comfort.  

Amber in SJ

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Amber in SJ said:

I will add everyone to my prayers, too.  I also practice meditation so if no one minds, what I try to do is visualize each person who has a need and then surround them in light and try to mentally hold them in my thoughts for several breaths.  I am a Christian and I believe this is just my way of praying for others, but it is a little new-agey for some people's comfort.  

Amber in SJ

I do that sometimes too, especially when praying for healing or peace of mind.