Menu

Best place to purchase a large dining table?

rbk mama

We want a large dining table - seating at least 10.  Where is the best place to get an affordable but durable table this size?  I'm open to second hand, but I don't know where to look for that - craigslist doesn't have anything like this in our area.  TIA!

Your best bet would be to look for quality wood, not specific locations.

We had ours made.  It has hidden leaves so it goes from seating 6 to 10-12 quickly and easily.  I'll be replacing the chairs, but never the table itself. It's extremely heavy and durable - which is why we bought it in the first place.

• Like 1

If you have an Amish community nearby, see if there is a woodworking shop.  We had ours custom made about 20 years ago and it is awesome.  I would recommend not getting a pedestal style with a table that big . . .we opted for four corner legs with a fifth in the middle.  Our finish needs redone on top but the structure is still rock-solid after daily hard use.

• Like 5

We went to a local Amish furniture store and purchased ours. Great table very solid and durable. For some reason, though, I only bought four chairs because I was sure that would be more than enough. Wrong! We aren't close to that store any more, so I have extra chairs, but they don't exactly match. 

• Like 1

We have had good luck finding high-quality, reasonably priced furniture at some local antiques malls. Thrift shops can be good, too, but there are a few dealers at the local antiques malls that carry really good older pieces. We probably couldn't buy new, lower-quality for the same price. I think people expect antiques to be expensive. They often aren't. Now, these aren't eighteenth-century pieces, but good, forty- to ninety-year-old colonial-revival style pieces. There's a good bit of Victorian stuff around, too.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

For people who had it made or went to the Amish store, how much did that cost? 

Substantial, but very similar in cost to the cheap pine table being sold at the furniture store next door.  We did spend a significant account for a piece of furniture, but when we compared to others of the same size that touted a "mahogany finish" or "cherrywood color" and were soft pine or composite, the price was on par with those in our area - within a few hundred.  I know what ours is made of, I picked out design elements, and I'm confident in the construction and that it will last for as long as we like.  In fact, our children have already fought over who gets it when we die. ?  Morbid little pests, I tell ya!

It is definitely worth shopping around and deciding what you are willing to invest in.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

For people who had it made or went to the Amish store, how much did that cost? 

I think the base unit was about $1500 (oak with 4 chairs and no extra leaves) but our upgrades brought us closer to $3000. We had two leaves added to make it 120 inches in length but the track is long enough that we can get two more leaves for it bringing it to 150 inches.  We have 8 chairs and everything is made of hickory (more durable but more expensive than oak). After having the kids break several of our previous oak chairs, it's nice to have something strong enough that it will be almost impossible for them to break.  Our chairs are heavy (which is good because it keeps the kids from moving them all over the house and bad because I can't move them all over the house).

• Like 1

I think ours was about $2000 or $2500 when we did it.  Ours is oak and we had four leaves made, five chairs (one with arms) and a long bench.  We need to get two more chairs but I keep putting it off.  I think our finish was an upgrade because of the satin finish I wanted at the time and the pattern with four corner legs and the middle was also more expensive.  This was 20 years ago.  I'm sure it's more expensive now.  I can't believe it's been 20 years!  20 years and 5 kids and 20 years of homeschooling on it every day, and three meals a day, and innumerable games and art projects.  I was bemoaning having to get it refinished this week but I think it's done it duty plus some!

• Like 1

Ethan Allen is still made in America if you want new and don't have any Amish stores nearby.

We've seen lots of very nice large antique tables at estate sales. Things that I would have bought if I didn't already have an heirloom. We did buy an outdoor dining table that would seat 10 for $49 in the last year.  Estate Sales often work on a 3-day basis.  Day 1 everything will cost 100% of the tag price.  Day 2 is 25% off.  Day 3 is often 50% off, and if you go in the last hour with a big truck to transport something immediately you can oftentimes make an offer. If you spend a couple weekends visiting the ones on Craigslist you'll get a feel for which companies in your area price things to sell and which ones don't. If you go every weekend on 50% off days you'll likely find something you love in less than 2 months.

You can also find amazing art that way, though we've often spent more on framing than we have on oil paintings we loved.

ETA:  The very best deals are frequently at "moving" sales held by estate companies- corporations will often give more than $30k in cash for "moving yourself," which sometimes means a small uHaul of sentimental items, buying all new at the new location and using an estate sale company to sell everything else is the best/cheapest way to go. The company's goal is then to sell everything, rather than to get a certain dollar amount. This is because the home has to be clean and empty 4 hours after the sale is done, and what isn't sold is loaded onto trucks and donated at places like Goodwill or Salvation Army. So you can get newer (2-5 year old) furniture at 25% of retail if you luck into the right sale.

• Like 1

Thanks, everyone!  I will be checking out estate sales - hadn't thought of that.  As well as Value City (never would have imagined you can get durable furniture from there) and IKEA.  I would LOVE to get a table and chairs from an Amish store - my inlaws' furniture is nearly entirely from Amish stores near where they live - but it is most likely outside the budget.  

1 hour ago, Katy said:

Ethan Allen is still made in America if you want new and don't have any Amish stores nearby.

We've seen lots of very nice large antique tables at estate sales. Things that I would have bought if I didn't already have an heirloom. We did buy an outdoor dining table that would seat 10 for $49 in the last year.  Estate Sales often work on a 3-day basis.  Day 1 everything will cost 100% of the tag price.  Day 2 is 25% off.  Day 3 is often 50% off, and if you go in the last hour with a big truck to transport something immediately you can oftentimes make an offer. If you spend a couple weekends visiting the ones on Craigslist you'll get a feel for which companies in your area price things to sell and which ones don't. If you go every weekend on 50% off days you'll likely find something you love in less than 2 months.

You can also find amazing art that way, though we've often spent more on framing than we have on oil paintings we loved.

ETA:  The very best deals are frequently at "moving" sales held by estate companies- corporations will often give more than $30k in cash for "moving yourself," which sometimes means a small uHaul of sentimental items, buying all new at the new location and using an estate sale company to sell everything else is the best/cheapest way to go. The company's goal is then to sell everything, rather than to get a certain dollar amount. This is because the home has to be clean and empty 4 hours after the sale is done, and what isn't sold is loaded onto trucks and donated at places like Goodwill or Salvation Army. So you can get newer (2-5 year old) furniture at 25% of retail if you luck into the right sale.

Great to know!  I will be checking out estate sales while we have free time this summer.  

BTW, I was looking at Ethan Allen furniture online to see current prices, and not all of their stuff is made in the USA:

https://www.ethanallen.com/en_US/shop-furniture-dining-room-tables/christopher-dining-table/386504.html?dwvar_386504_finish=506?site=#prefn1=tableSize&prefv1=Seats+up+to+10&start=1

I've been considering making a table.  I'd go for a simple Farmhouse table (an example is in this video), or it can also be called a Plank Top table.  If you make it yourself, you can make it to whatever size you like.  Of course, you'd need a few tools to do so, or you could pre-measure and have the place where you buy the wood cut it to size for you and then you just have to assemble.

Once you know how to make the table, you could make benches for the sides in the same way, and then get two chairs for the top and bottom.  

• Like 1

PPs had suggested making a table as well, but I assumed it would be too time consuming (knowing that DH would insist on him doing it and would not be ready to spend that kind of time), but that video makes it look very simple!  So, with a table like that you will have grooves on the tabletop -- is using wood filler sufficient?

I'd check local used furniture and auction companies. We recently sent a large, very heavy dining set to an auction company. He told me that he usually has at least one large dining room set at every auction because the trend is towards smaller, lighter sets.

I was recently at our Habitat for Humanity Restore buying a few small things, and they had two large ones and a number of smaller ones. I plan to check there when I replace my small game table.

• Like 1

We also had one custom made from an Amish store, (I wanted one 48 inches wide), and having it custom made wasn’t more expensive than buying it ready made. It’s solid cherry Shaker style, and seats from six to fourteen with two leaves. The chairs were more expensive than the table since I bought twelve. We use four around our small everyday table, six around the dining room table, and put two against the wall when not in use.

I paid just about 1k for the table, but that was about 15 years ago. Chairs were about 1.5k as I recall.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rbk mama said:

So nice!  But now I have a maybe dumb question:  doesn't gunk get stuck in the crevices of a table top like that?

I think this could very well happen with all kinds of things from crumbs to just general dust/dirt. Perhaps you can ask for a solid table top? This shop (and probably several others) seem to allow for some custom alterations.

My FIL made a harvest table that we now have and the table top is solid laquered pine. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

IKEA. Our Stornas seats 10. You could easily put two tables next to each other to seat more.

We have two IKEA Bjursta tables next to each other (long sides together) to make a big almost-square. Plenty of everyday room for 8 to eat and do schoolwork with 1 set of leaves in, room for 12 with both sets of leaves in.

• Like 1

Ours came from an antique store. Though I bought the table in NC and had to haul it back home to DC. But it was worth it. I think it was $500 - very heavy, beautiful table, two leaves, can expand to seat 10+ people.

When I was in the market, I spent a good bit of time online looking and considered getting something made by the Amish, as others said. I also flirted with giving in and going with IKEA. But in the end the antique stores had the best options. I just had to be patient. And borrow a truck.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2018 at 10:32 PM, prairiewindmomma said:

IKEA. Our Stornas seats 10. You could easily put two tables next to each other to seat more.

I bought two Ingos for approximately $300. I can change the arrangement (side by side vs end to end) as I see fit. They are not great quality, but they fit my budget and my room.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Desert Strawberry said:

I bought two Ingos for approximately $300. I can change the arrangement (side by side vs end to end) as I see fit. They are not great quality, but they fit my budget and my room.

This is what my parents did - bought two cheap 6-seater tables.  I remember that we had fun making different configurations for variety (L,T, etc).  What I like about that is the freedom to relax about what happens to the table(s) - to not feel like it has to be super-protected with a heavy pad.  They also had a formal dining room set that was only used occasionally (and was always covered with a custom pad).  We have one dining room; I really want to avoid a table that needs a lot of protection.

28 minutes ago, rbk mama said:

This is what my parents did - bought two cheap 6-seater tables.  I remember that we had fun making different configurations for variety (L,T, etc).  What I like about that is the freedom to relax about what happens to the table(s) - to not feel like it has to be super-protected with a heavy pad.  They also had a formal dining room set that was only used occasionally (and was always covered with a custom pad).  We have one dining room; I really want to avoid a table that needs a lot of protection.

I painted them a fun, bright color. I'm glad we got cheap tables, because they have already endured pen, marker, paint. They are our only indoor tables, in the kitchen, where we do school. They aren't going to impress anyone, but we live in a cinderblock cabin. Nothing is going to impress anyone. I bought a bunch of mismatched used chairs, and painted them fun colors as well. 

• Like 1

I got mine at an antique show.  It's about 100 years old, solid walnut, extremely versatile.  

It's an oval drop leaf table.  When the leaves are down, it seats two people. When they are up, 4 (lavishly) to 6 (crowdedly).  Then there are three wide leaves that can be put in the middle, and when they are all in it seats 10-12.  I could have another leaf or two made, and I probably should, to make it even longer as the tracks are long enough and it has a fifth leg to support the middle.

It has those old porcelain wheels on the legs, so it's very easy to move around.  It has served me well, even though it didn't come with chairs.

Something to be careful of--if you live in an extremely dry climate you can get checking of new wood furniture.  We are finding that antique wood taken to our cabin (dry, 5400 ft altitude) doesn't check, but just about any new wood does.  We had planned to have a statement table made for the cabin to anchor the great room, but are not going to be able to do that because of this problem.  I'm currently debating whether to take our walnut table up there, where it would look fine but take the great room in an unintended direction, or use 2-3 of those old square oak pull leaf tables for a bistro look that we could string together into a long, narrow holiday table at times.

• Like 1