Menu

Read Alouds in High School

Can read alouds be counted as part of a literature credit for high school or no?  Over the years my girls and I have really enjoyed read alouds, but these past couple of years we've backed off - and we miss it!!  Part of the reason for that was because I needed to help my oldest more with math, and it seemed our day became fuller, not leaving as much time for read alouds.  My oldest (going into 9th grade) happens to not love reading on her own as much as my youngers, and it seems she would benefit from me reading aloud again...and discussing what we're reading.  But it also seems that this idea is perhaps "elementary" and wouldn't "count" in high school?  I'm just trying to figure out what her English might look like for this coming year.  

I think reading aloud and discussing what you read is a valuable activity. I read aloud throughout the high school years. We had more in depth conversations about literature that we read together than books I assigned them to read most of the time (I did still assign daily reading--I think both are really important). I read aloud some of the meatier books that might have been harder for them to work through and also some lighter works too. I think it's one of the main highlights of our homeschool. Have fun! And definitely include those books as part of your literature work--audio books "count."

• Like 3

Yes.

It's a great way to also double up with your discussion and analysis, as well as making great memories of enjoying meaningful literature together. :) We had a load of fun doing Shakespeare as "reader's theater", with each of us taking several roles to read aloud for the scene or scenes we were covering in a day.

• Like 3

We continued read alouds in high school. Ds is a slow reader and we enjoyed experiencing the books together. We did use an audiobook for Moby Dick (which we both enjoyed), but otherwise it was mostly me with him taking turns occasionally. 

One thing I did was make sure he had his own copy of the book to either follow along or finish a chapter if needed. Many of them he has kept for his own personal library. 

• Like 1

Yay!  I'm so glad to read your encouraging responses!  I know that part of the joy of homeschooling is getting to choose how we want to do things, but now that we're getting into high school, I guess I'm just a bit fearful that I'll do something "wrong."  I'm still trying to figure out what my daughter's entire English credit will look like.  Most likely, she will be taking some online courses for writing, but I'm still not sure how to approach the literature aspect.

• Like 1