Menu

Horizons or CLE

RoseS8

I only tried Horizons Math for Kindergarten but gave up after half a year because I couldn’t figure out how to teach the lessons. I know and love math but didn’t know how to teach it. We switched to Abeka for the rest of Kindergarten math and it drove me crazy because it was too detailed in its lessons and seemed geared to the classroom and I did not know what I could leave out. Enter CLE Math for first grade and we love it. We are halfway through 3rd grade now. My daughter mostly reads the lessons herself and does the work but I’m right there and can help at any point. Before she was reading well and I was teaching the lessons, it was easy to follow and do. I love the progression so far.

I am a Horizons fan.  I have been using Horizons for over 20 yrs and have had 7 kids go through the 6th grade book. My rising 3rd grader will be using the 4th and 5th grade books next yr.  (She moves through math quickly and has been doing multiple lessons per day.)  I have been very happy with where my kids skills have been at the end of the 6th grade texts.  They have been solidly prepared for high school math.

I have never had a problem teaching the texts.  I sit with my younger kids while they do math, and we discuss math concepts while they are working.  I don't use the TM's for anything other than grading in 3rd up.  I am a natural teacher, so for me what to do seems obvious.  If you need script type teaching instruction, it will not be a good fit.

• Like 3

We’ve been eally happy with cle math 2 this year.  We bounced around with many different things prior to this, but my sweet dd finally has a math home that we can stick with for awhile.  Aside from the other obvious differences, what stood out to me between the two programs is that cle has just one or two problems of many, many concepts in each lesson.  Horizons has more problems from fewer concepts in each lesson.  I know they are both spiral, but in my view cle is more spiral.  I do add fan math problem solving and fan speed math.  I will continue with the problem solving series, but in looking over level 3 of cle I am unsure if I will continue the FAN speed math (mental math supplement).  I think the mental math in cle will probably provide enough explicit instruction for her.  We use reflex math instead of the cle speed drills and flash cards.  From reading other user reviews it sounds like horizons might be a little better on the problem solving and mental math than cle, but we didn’t end up going that way and the samples were insufficient for me to verify that.

My DD used Horizons for 1st grade math and it gave her an incredible foundation going into 2nd. I ended up buying Horizons 2 but not using it and moving her to BJU 2 which is a better fit. Horizons has alot of problems per page which isn't a bad thing, she just didn't need that much repetition and she is a completionist personality so skipping wasn't an option for her. I think though that it is a really solid program. 

CLE is also solid. It covers various topics at once like Horizons but has those great booklets so children feel accomplished when they finish one. The teaching manual is also better laid out. CLE has less problems per page which is something to keep in mind. Also Horizons is colorful which some kids like but some kids find distracting. 

We use Lifepac which I think is the same as CLE basically.  I really like it for Algebra etc.  Used Horizons for 1st and it was fine but a lot of extra problems we didn't need.  (we've also used Math Mammoth and Singapore and those work well too.)  Choose what's easiest for you to teach.

We used Singapore Essentials A and B for kindergarten and started in on Singapore 1A. After loads of resistance with Singapore, I got out CLE, which I was saving to start in the fall. (I have always planned on using both until I figured out which was the best fit for my son.) Some sort of switch flipped in my 6 year old boy. He absolutely loves math now and his number sense has grown leaps and bounds. He does math for fun now, and is manipulating numbers in his head with ease. He tells me he likes CLE so much better. When asked why CLE is more fun for him, he said, "I don't want pictures, mom. I want numbers!" 

We only got through math 102 before summer break, but we won't be giving up CLE any time soon. Also, the flashcard system is incredible. I cant imagine going through this program and NOT being rock solid on math facts. 

I cant speak to Horizons, but I dont think you can go wrong with CLE. Plus it is fairly cheap to try, so if it doesn't resonate with your child for some reason then you aren't out much. CLE is a winner around here.

Can't speak about CLE, never seen or used it.

I use Horizon Math K minus TM and it is straight forward and easy to use. I really like it. I plan on using Horizon Math for as long as it serves it purpose.

My DD found most of it easy she doesn't like the writing part though. She doesn't have that kind of stamina yet. So sometimes I scribe for her and she does it orally.