Menu

Curtain help please!

mskelly

My sliding glass doors have been bare for a year.  Luckily we don't have neighbors behind us! I'd like to put some blackout panels up though since we live in FL and will help keep things cooler in the summer.  It's a triple width slider though...108" wide and 96" tall.  I'd like the panels to hang out on either side of the door, covering the wall space, when they are open.  What size do I need to order and would be possible to use 3-4 panels instead of two really wide panels?

I know ikea has really long curtains at (very!) affordable prices. Have you checked there? Maybe you could do 4 panels/2 pairs of something like this?

https://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/art/60325299/

If you didn’t want blackout, I was going to recommend the canvas drop cloths from Home Depot. They’re very long and 3 would probably be enough. I think they’re about $16 each. You can fold them over and use curtain clips, so the length is super adjustable. I’m using 2 right now for a big double window. They look so cute!  Like this:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pinterest.com/amp/pin/56787645276905776/

ETA: I have mine like the pictures where it’s folded over at the top and kind of makes a valance of sorts. 

I think if it’s 108 in wide, IMO, you really need 3-4 because they’re supposed to have the ‘waves’ or bends or whatever it’s called!   I think 2 would be too flat or overstretched. You wouldn’t necessarily notice that it’s several panels bc they’d just blend together. When you open them, you just slide them all over. 

• Like 1

That's what I was thinking, but my husband thought it would look funny.  I think the idea of the extra panels is to make sure it has the waves though and you would never know it was multiple panels.  I just need to find a picture!

• Like 1