Menu

Well-Trained Bodies- June Edition

Soror

We are nearly half-way through the year. How are your food and exercise plans holding up? I did not make my strength goals for May. I pushed too hard and have had to back off but I recognized this before things got really bad, I did not have to take weeks or months off. I'm changing things up and moving forward and for the time being, I am doing the program from Strong (the newest book from the authors of The New Rules of Weightlifting for Women). 

Today we are going to the lake again to play around, no exercise planned.

Everyone is welcome to join- we love having new people whether you are exercising for fun, trying to lose weight, gain strength, train for a race, or just get in shape we'd love to have you. There is no right way to exercise and eat and there will be no criticising or chastisement- just encouragement.

May

-15 strength training sessions (down from 20 in April which was on purpose)

-4 Bike rides (not tracking rides 1 mi or less); 10 mi, 4 mi, 2.5, 2.5 (the shorter rides were WAY harder than the longer ones done at the walking track)

- 1 INTENSE obstacle course training weekend

-1- 4mi walk and numerous other 1 mi or less (sometimes 2 or 3 a day of those)

June Goals-

Complete Phase 1- Stage 1 of Strong- Strength training 3x a week- 13 sessions for the month

Bike ride at least once a week- just for fun and because I want to see my strength and endurance improve;

Continue taking lots of walks

Continue eating good food.

Weight maintenance.

• Like 1

I'm almost back to 100% health and injury recovery! The 2 weeks reduced activity because of getting sick probably helped out my hamstring injury. Forced rest is a good thing sometimes, I guess. ?  I played  couple hours of doubles tennis this evening and my body felt great. My shots were horrible, unfortunately.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, wintermom said:

I'm almost back to 100% health and injury recovery! The 2 weeks reduced activity because of getting sick probably helped out my hamstring injury. Forced rest is a good thing sometimes, I guess. ?  I played  couple hours of doubles tennis this evening and my body felt great. My shots were horrible, unfortunately.

That is awesome that you are nearly 100%, not so awesome about the shots but I'm sure you'll get there!

I did my last workout for the week, woot! 1 week down, 3 weeks to go for this stage. We started with a mile walk and then did our exercise outside, it was soooo hot, I was dripping with sweat but we got it done. We did the advanced version of the one core exercise (bird dog from toes). My push-ups are still crap, they've been crap all week, maybe next week we'll be better! I did the warm-up from the book(Strong) for the first time- it was good but I was ready to get it down, it was a nice change of pace. We did jump rope for interval work today, maybe in a months time I can make it the whole minute without tripping over myself!

Happy Weekend all- I'm excited to hear from everyone!

• Like 2

I'm on to stage 2 in NRFL4W.  I'm not making huge gains strength wise, but I am getting stronger and I haven't hurt myself. ?

Eating has been terrible, but I'm back to school this week and a new schedule, so I'm hoping to get it under control.

I'm planning on more yoga this month as well as adding in a cardio day at the gym. I'm hoping for just 30mins of steady cardio once a week. I also do intervals twice a week. The idea came from Girls Gone Strong, and I like it.  I've been taking a walk most nights. It's a little over 2 miles. I may have to reduce that with school, but I'll see. 

• Like 3

WTG @lynnand @Kim in Appalachia . Kim, I love GGS too. I'm doing the new book by the NROWLFW and he has intervals in every workout in this book (not sure about the previous ones) , I had not really done intervals since the summer, when I started having trouble overheating, but I seem to be doing fine now. I'm actually enjoying them in a love/hate way. I don't know that I do any steady state cardio except walking and some bike rides. 

Morning bike ride (finally we did the ride at the trail I've been wanting to do for month!). Dh and I did 6.4 miles, our time was 65 minutes. It was a great ride, just the right level of challenge, enough downhill between the little climbs to give you a break. There isn't much total elevation gain but lots of little ups and downs, switchbacks, and rough spots to make it harder. I'd really like to do the big trail that's 13 miles there, I think we could handle it. Then maybe we could go for adding in the extra trail in the middle and get it up to 20!. I can really tell that I'm strong and my endurance is better. I really want to try the big hill to my east (I've yet to try it w/ my new bike) and see how I handle it but I'm going to take off tomorrow, I've got a lot of errands to run anyway.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I went for a couple bike rides yesterday, and played doubles tennis on Friday and today. I'm feeling pretty close to 100%!  Now to help support my dh who seems to have caught the bug, and has sore knees from tennis. ?

Soooo, how is the new bike? I'm so jealous, I'd love a brand new one!!! I bet it is so sweet!

• Like 1

Just now, soror said:

Soooo, how is the new bike! I'm so jealous, I'd love a brand new one!!! I bet it is so sweet!

It is sweet! It's been a couple decades since I've gotten a brand new bike. I just love the feeling of zipping around the neighbourhood, or packing it into the van and exploring new places. My city has some great options for cycling. 

• Like 1

30 mins on the erg today, plus and hour of yoga before church.

That was the longest time I've done on the erg, and it was difficult.  Nor did it get up heart rate up as high as I would have liked. It was still a good cardio workout, but it felt like a lot of work or little gain. ?

@soror , I've debated either getting the next book after NRFL4W or going with GGS.  I have lots of time to decide, since I'm only on stage 2.  But the need for more cardio has been something I was thinking about. It's good to know that they are including more in the next book.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, wintermom said:

It is sweet! It's been a couple decades since I've gotten a brand new bike. I just love the feeling of zipping around the neighbourhood, or packing it into the van and exploring new places. My city has some great options for cycling. 

19 hours ago, peacelovehomeschooling said:

I finished May strong.  Good eating, good workouts, lost some weight.  I can tell I am getting stronger as a result of my workouts, which is really rewarding.  I feel better when I stick to my food plan (which, admittedly, can be quite hard at times).  It feels good to finally be inching towards my goal weight....though I am considering revising it, not decided for certain though.   As of right now, if I keep my goal weight range where it is, I am 13-19 pounds from reaching it. 

YA! It does take a bit to see the results but once you do it is so exciting. 13 pounds away is not that far! 

18 hours ago, Kim in Appalachia said:

30 mins on the erg today, plus and hour of yoga before church.

That was the longest time I've done on the erg, and it was difficult.  Nor did it get up heart rate up as high as I would have liked. It was still a good cardio workout, but it felt like a lot of work or little gain. ?

@soror , I've debated either getting the next book after NRFL4W or going with GGS.  I have lots of time to decide, since I'm only on stage 2.  But the need for more cardio has been something I was thinking about. It's good to know that they are including more in the next book.  

I just looked up erg as I wasn't sure what it was and it looks like it is a rowing machine, is that right? Those kick my butt, I've only done intervals or warm-ups on them. 

Yes, Strong has intervals in every workout at the end. They start very basic, this first stage is 3-6 @ 60 on/ 120 seconds off. In the other stages, I see they have HR target recommendations and more sophisticated schedules. I'm glad it is starting simple though b/c it is easing me into it, I've not done intervals in awhile and I don't want anything too complicated or it won't get done. I don't have a HR monitor either, although I'm considering getting one. I don't really "do" cardio but like to walk and bike so that is good enough for me.  I did a dance workout class last week for a change of pace, that is a much more fun way to do cardio, I don't think I could last on a machine that long.

• Like 2

Oh, my, stress, pms, and sleep deprivation. I have felt terrible the last 2 days. I went ahead and did my workout today but skipped the intervals I was already nearly overheated. Here's hoping now that ds has his first day behind him I'll sleep tonight. 

Today was Strong- Stage 1-Workout B

• Like 1

Wondering where everyone is? Hope everyone is having lots of summer fun.

This week has been a hard one for me. With PMS cravings, lack of sleep, and stress I've had way more sugar than usual and all of that combined means I've just really not felt very well. I did finally get a decent night's sleep last night but I'm so behind I'm still feeling it. I think if I get another good night's sleep and get back to good food I'll hopefully feel decent tomorrow. I did manage a walk today, my first all week, it wasn't even a mile but whatever. I'm scheduled to workout tonight, I expect that yet again I'll skip intervals, I'm just not feeling up to it. I'm going to be out of town this weekend and I'm trying to figure out my workout- there are 2 things I don't think I'll be able to do. The hotel I'm staying at has a gym but from the looks of it that means a couple of cardio machines. I'll just do what I can.

• Like 1

Evening workout, MUCH better than Tuesday's session, I was still sweating like crazy but had a bit of energy. I actually would have done intervals if I had the time but the kid's had TKD testing tonight so I had to hustle and just made it through my sets. Fingers crossed for sleep tonight, maybe if I get a good night I'll take a morning bike ride, I've not rode since Sunday and won't have a chance again until Monday at the very earliest if I don't get one tomorrow.

• Like 2

I have lost 7 pounds! I have been exercising just about daily, buy my back is reminding to take a day off. I just love the cool early mornings. Plus my teaching and tutoring obligations diminish over the summer so I just have more time. 

I would like to lose 3 more before we go to Germany at the end of June. I have a feeling I will gain back more than a few pounds with the beer and pretzels. 

When I get back I really want to concentrate on what lifting heavy really means? How heavy? Do I just keep pushing myself to add more weights? Any seasoned advice helps. I have a gym and do the machines there just not sure what is next. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lmrich said:

I have lost 7 pounds! I have been exercising just about daily, buy my back is reminding to take a day off. I just love the cool early mornings. Plus my teaching and tutoring obligations diminish over the summer so I just have more time. 

I would like to lose 3 more before we go to Germany at the end of June. I have a feeling I will gain back more than a few pounds with the beer and pretzels. 

When I get back I really want to concentrate on what lifting heavy really means? How heavy? Do I just keep pushing myself to add more weights? Any seasoned advice helps. I have a gym and do the machines there just not sure what is next. 

Awesome! 7 pounds is a lot!

I am by no means an expert, but I think lifting heavy is lifting so much that you can only do a small amount of reps. For example - looking at my trap bar deadlifts - My trainer slowly worked my weight upwards. My last upward push was being able to do 225 lbs. At first, I could only do one rep at that weight, so I'd do a warm-up set, then do more weight for a set or two, then he'd up it to 225 and I'd get one in. The next time I did deadlifts I'd do more reps at that higher weight. Today, I was able to do three sets of 6 reps at 225 lbs. My guess is that next time I do deadlifts I'll get to do them at a higher weight but will likely only be able to do 1 to 3 reps at that higher weight.

1 hour ago, soror said:

Short bike ride.

I should not have went!!! I'm feeling better but the hill about did me in.

Resting now trying to get my heart rate back down! It was only 10 minute ride, 1.5 miles but that hill, gah!

Nice work. I've had a rough week, too. Bad weather here combined with PMS meant seriously bad eating - I'm hoping that at some point I'll figure out that bad eating does not make me feel better. Also, I have shin splints. My winter runners were dead, so I started wearing a new pair of shoes and noticed some shin pain. Well, by last Thursday I was dying on the hill repeats. Then I thought I'd go out and do the long run on Saturday, but I only made it about 4km before I realized I wouldn't be able to run. I haven't run since. I'm going to tape up my shins and attempt the long run with my group tomorrow morning, but I have no qualms about stopping early. 

I did still get to the gym twice this week and had really solid workouts. There's this one thing the trainer has me doing - he puts a 45lb weight on those floor sliders and then I lay on my back and make a bridge with my heels on the weight, and my knees bent, then I keep the bridge and straighten my legs out and then pull them in again. Serious hamstring workout. And glutes. I don't normally feel my workouts but I felt that one.

I'm moving across Canada - we leave on the 30th and we'll be on the road for almost six weeks. I've also signed up for a half-marathon in early October, so I mapped out my half-marathon training and I think I should be able to fit it all in as we make our way across the country. Obviously working out is going to be harder. I have a TRX so I'll bring that with me and my trainer suggested doing a lot of push-ups, pull-ups (on any playground I can find), squat jumps and jump lunges. Does anyone else have suggestions for things I can do outdoors?

Edited to add: We actually had snow here in June. Twice. Not that it's an excuse for chocolate...well, it's my excuse for eating chocolate. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, lmrich said:

That is awesome! WTG! ITA w/ Sarah IRT lifting, heavy lifting is focusing on lower reps like 5-8 or so. You just keep trying to increase weights incrementally.

8 minutes ago, SarahCB said:

Nice work. I've had a rough week, too. Bad weather here combined with PMS meant seriously bad eating - I'm hoping that at some point I'll figure out that bad eating does not make me feel better. Also, I have shin splints. My winter runners were dead, so I started wearing a new pair of shoes and noticed some shin pain. Well, by last Thursday I was dying on the hill repeats. Then I thought I'd go out and do the long run on Saturday, but I only made it about 4km before I realized I wouldn't be able to run. I haven't run since. I'm going to tape up my shins and attempt the long run with my group tomorrow morning, but I have no qualms about stopping early. 

I did still get to the gym twice this week and had really solid workouts. There's this one thing the trainer has me doing - he puts a 45lb weight on those floor sliders and then I lay on my back and make a bridge with my heels on the weight, and my knees bent, then I keep the bridge and straighten my legs out and then pull them in again. Serious hamstring workout. And glutes. I don't normally feel my workouts but I felt that one.

I'm moving across Canada - we leave on the 30th and we'll be on the road for almost six weeks. I've also signed up for a half-marathon in early October, so I mapped out my half-marathon training and I think I should be able to fit it all in as we make our way across the country. Obviously working out is going to be harder. I have a TRX so I'll bring that with me and my trainer suggested doing a lot of push-ups, pull-ups (on any playground I can find), squat jumps and jump lunges. Does anyone else have suggestions for things I can do outdoors?

So, are you going to replace your shoes? That sounds painful. That bridge exercise sounds brutal!!!!

Al Kavlado has some good bw/playground exercises-- http://www.alkavadlo.com/body-weight-exercises/minimal-equipment-workouts/

MovNat- Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced work-outs- (plenty of things to do outdoors and lots of challenges here!)

https://www.movnat.com/3-natural-movement-workouts-for-beginners/

https://www.movnat.com/3-intermediate-natural-movement-workouts/

https://www.movnat.com/beyond-basics-5-intermediate-level-movnat-combo-workouts/

https://www.movnat.com/5-advanced-level-movnat-combo-workouts/

21 hours ago, soror said:

Wondering where everyone is? Hope everyone is having lots of summer fun.

It's tech week for my boys' musical theatre and I'm on sound. It's way more work and responsibility than I thought I was volunteering for, but I'm enjoying it. I'm also still fighting some weird bug that gives me a head-ache and robs my energy.  

I did manage to get a walk in yesterday! First exercise in a while. And my eating is on "survival mode" which means quick meals of little substance. Hopefully I'll be back to normal very soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SarahCB said:

Edited to add: We actually had snow here in June. Twice. Not that it's an excuse for chocolate...well, it's my excuse for eating chocolate. 

Which province are you moving to? PM me if you're heading through Ontario on the way to Quebec. Maybe we can meet up for a run!

• Like 1

Hello everyone!

Sorry for my long absence.  My mom came to visit for three weeks, and by the third week, I was totally off my exercise and keto.  I got my eating fixed back up as soon as she left, and today I hope to go for a run

@SarahCB Have a good move!

@soror Your consistency is inspiring!!!  This is really my weak point and I love seeing your good, consistent updates and results.  

@lynn Core de Force looks really cool!  I put the DVDs in my wishlist.  

I think I need to set a half marathon as a goal in October, because I feel like I'm just running around right now without a clear goal.  Maybe having a clearer goal would help me settle down and do the work!  ?  

• Like 3

I went for a really nice hike in the woods with a friend yesterday, and I'm off for a bike ride along the river this morning. Other than that, I'm up to my eyeballs in musical theatre this week. I'm really hoping to get some tennis in on Sunday.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, soror said:

That is awesome! WTG! ITA w/ Sarah IRT lifting, heavy lifting is focusing on lower reps like 5-8 or so. You just keep trying to increase weights incrementally.

So, are you going to replace your shoes? That sounds painful. That bridge exercise sounds brutal!!!!

Al Kavlado has some good bw/playground exercises-- http://www.alkavadlo.com/body-weight-exercises/minimal-equipment-workouts/

MovNat- Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced work-outs- (plenty of things to do outdoors and lots of challenges here!)

https://www.movnat.com/3-natural-movement-workouts-for-beginners/

https://www.movnat.com/3-intermediate-natural-movement-workouts/

https://www.movnat.com/beyond-basics-5-intermediate-level-movnat-combo-workouts/

https://www.movnat.com/5-advanced-level-movnat-combo-workouts/

Thanks for the links! They look awesome. I did replace the shoes, but I don't think the new ones I have are going to work. I ran 13.4 km today and felt great! I taped my shins with k tape so I'm sure that helped. My new shoes are not quite deep enough - I wear a heel lift in my left shoe and between the lift and the shallow shoe I felt like my foot wasn't deep enough in the shoe. They're also narrower than what I normally wear and I have wide feet - my feet were a little achy by the end of the run. I have one more pair of runners in my closet, so I'll try them this week. It was so nice to be able to enjoy a run today!

22 hours ago, wintermom said:

Which province are you moving to? PM me if you're heading through Ontario on the way to Quebec. Maybe we can meet up for a run!

I'll send you a PM. We're moving from Newfoundland to BC so are driving across the entire country. My daughter is getting married near Eganville, Ontario so we're up there for a week and then on to Port Dover for a few days and then Niagra Falls for a few days before driving through Northern Ontario. 

6 hours ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

Hello everyone!

Sorry for my long absence.  My mom came to visit for three weeks, and by the third week, I was totally off my exercise and keto.  I got my eating fixed back up as soon as she left, and today I hope to go for a run

I think I need to set a half marathon as a goal in October, because I feel like I'm just running around right now without a clear goal.  Maybe having a clearer goal would help me settle down and do the work!  ?  

Nice work getting back on track. I always find that so hard. I'm doing a half in October and just finished trying to mesh the training plan with our travel plans. It should be fun to run in different places all the way across Canada. I do think having a clear goal is helpful. You should definitely do a half in October - then we can spur each other on ?

• Like 2

I'll send you a PM. We're moving from Newfoundland to BC so are driving across the entire country. My daughter is getting married near Eganville, Ontario so we're up there for a week and then on to Port Dover for a few days and then Niagra Falls for a few days before driving through Northern Ontario. 

Wow! From coast to coast. That's really exciting. Your running season is going to be huge compared to NF. 

• Like 2

@SarahCB And while I have you on the line, do you use a training program for halfs, and if so, what do you recommend.  I'm torn between programming my own or using something ready-made.  I know that no matter how good my intentions are, I will not do any speed repeats because I'd rather rip my nails out with pliers.  So no matter what I choose, I'll be subbing hill repeats for speed work.  ? 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Kim in Appalachia said:

Lifting today.  I didn't spend time on the rowing machine like I normally do. I felt out of it and just stuck to lifting.  

Stage 2 of NRFL4W has a lot of lunges, and they are tough. I do feel as if I'm making progress with them, but my hips and PF are feeling it. 

d\I hear you, but the lunges have gotten soooo much easier, they were incredibly hard for me before. 

22 hours ago, SarahCB said:

Thanks for the links! They look awesome. I did replace the shoes, but I don't think the new ones I have are going to work. I ran 13.4 km today and felt great! I taped my shins with k tape so I'm sure that helped. My new shoes are not quite deep enough - I wear a heel lift in my left shoe and between the lift and the shallow shoe I felt like my foot wasn't deep enough in the shoe. They're also narrower than what I normally wear and I have wide feet - my feet were a little achy by the end of the run. I have one more pair of runners in my closet, so I'll try them this week. It was so nice to be able to enjoy a run today!

?

Aha, hope that you figure it out, it would be awful to be injured or sidelined by shoes!

On 6/9/2018 at 2:47 AM, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

Hello everyone!

@soror Your consistency is inspiring!!!  This is really my weak point and I love seeing your good, consistent updates and results.  

@lynn Core de Force looks really cool!  I put the DVDs in my wishlist.  

Thank you! You know it isn't always great but try to keep something going even if I don't feel like it b/c I know how rough it is to start back but sometimes it just doesn't happen, the important part is getting back to it, nobody is going to be perfect, life happens, hope you had a great visit.

On 6/8/2018 at 3:40 PM, peacelovehomeschooling said:

Good week!  I have done great with both food and workouts.  I lost a couple pounds too.  Yay!  

hip hip hooray!

-------------------------

on a marriage retreat weekend, it has been very busy but good. Not enough sleep but last night was a bit better.

Did my workout at the hotel gym yesterday had to omit one ab exercise and sub out the inverted rows b/c of lack of equipment but that's ok. I got intervals on the bike, got my heart rate to near max- 180 something. Did intervals this morning as well, had time and felt like and I didn't do much this week. 

food has been MEH. It is ironic when you are sitting all day you want to eat more and after just getting things back to normal after my crazy week. I'm sooooo ready to be back home and have a laid back week!!!! 

I've been so very close to breaking through the plateau I've wanted to hit for ages, my weight has been normally 120-125 but I've had a very hard time hitting it since this last pregnancy and thyroid disease. I've been holding steady at 125.2, so close to getting in that range, maybe this month. That is only 0.4 (my scale only does 0.2 increments) hopefully that is not jinxing.

• Like 2

Played some doubles tennis this evening. It was pretty good until I started getting some wicked foot cramps. I also went for a nice walk around one of the local university campuses with a friend while our dc were in a coding class. It was a gorgeous day. Maybe I need better footwear for the walking? Could be a link there.

22 hours ago, soror said:

Awesome! Thanks.

Gym yesterday was tough. I was up at 3:15am to get my husband and my cats to the airport. I felt like a big wimp during my workout, but I got it done. Today was hill training with the running group. I don't think my new shoes are going to work out... I really wish I had looked to see what kind of shoes I was wearing in the winter before I threw them out. They were great and I ran in them for months without an issue. Nike. Maybe the Pegasus? I don't know. Frustrating. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SarahCB said:

Awesome! Thanks.

Gym yesterday was tough. I was up at 3:15am to get my husband and my cats to the airport. I felt like a big wimp during my workout, but I got it done. Today was hill training with the running group. I don't think my new shoes are going to work out... I really wish I had looked to see what kind of shoes I was wearing in the winter before I threw them out. They were great and I ran in them for months without an issue. Nike. Maybe the Pegasus? I don't know. Frustrating. 

I have had this happen before!  My last pair were some kind of Merrell minimalist shoe.  When I went to get new shoes, they guy looked at me like I was crazy.  "Merrell doesn't make running shoes!" ?‍♂️  I dunno...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SarahCB said:

Awesome! Thanks.

That sounds like a fun day! Hope you find your shoes, that is very frustrating to have your running sidelined over something you can control but didn't realize!

1 hour ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

I have had this happen before!  My last pair were some kind of Merrell minimalist shoe.  When I went to get new shoes, they guy looked at me like I was crazy.  "Merrell doesn't make running shoes!" ?‍♂️  I dunno...

LOL, I had some Merrell Trail Runners I really liked, I just wore them out. They were super comfy.

Strong- Stage 1 Workout A- done this am

Remember how I said my push-ups have been crap? I did 12 from my toes Saturday and today, I think my form was pretty decent too (maybe I already mentioned that I can't remember). I'm just excited about that. I've got to video it to make sure but it is getting there, I've been confused on form b/c different places suggest different tweaks but I'm going by the pics in the Strong book. Went up in rows but I had went down too low when I went up in reps. I didn't feel I was as hot today but after we did intervals on the bike I nearly threw up. Funny my heart rate was only in the 160s whereas it was in the 180s Saturday. We did 4 intervals, I just realized that I missed in the book that we were supposed to add an interval each week, I've been doing three each workout until Saturday. The first week it is 3, then you add one each week until you get to 6 at the end of the stage. I think I'll do some more intervals tonight since I'm not doing 2 a day weights anymore.

No intervals last night, TKD was canceled. We did take a little walk. I also did a half a dozen push-ups so dh could video me. My form has really improved. I could still keep my shoulders in a bit but I was pretty pleased. I got in Becoming a Supple Leopard from the library, my goodness it is incredible, it is written by a physiotherapist. It has nearly exercise known to man, breaks down the movements to each one, then common mistakes and exercises to practice to fix them. It goes in depth on movement patterns and is really focused on preventing injuries and helping heal from them as well. I honestly didn't reallize how in depth it was, I just requested it because I've seen it recommended so much and it is so highly reviewed. I'm very excited to try out his suggestions, maybe I can finally resolve my shoulder issues and get a strict deadhang pull-up! I really want to try one out with his suggestions to see what difference it makes but I've been skipping them to give my body some rest.

Since I switched programs I'm not doing back squats, deadlifts, bench press, or pull-ups anymore. I'm wondering how those lifts will look when I add them back. I wonder how much my push-up work might carry over to the bench press? 

• Like 3

@soror - That book sounds really good! Hope it helps prevent further shoulder pain.

I played some singles tennis with dh yesterday afternoon, and in my ds's words, "I got wrecked." I'm not sure if it was the heat, my seasonal allergies or just lack of fitness, but I was struggling with really high heart rate and feeling like I just sprinted up a steep hill. Hopefully things will improve soon!

• Like 2

? @wintermomDo you have some allergy-induced asthma? I really felt like last fall I was having trouble with that I had no endurance and lost it suddenly. That is a horrible feel ing.

Yesterday was crazy busy, plenty of walking while shopping and also visiting ds at Scout Camp, their spot was way back in there and up a hill and we were carrying in chairs and food, some people had to stop and rest on the way! Crazy.  It is closer to the boy's activities though so that is good for them. Tonight is TKD so I'll be doing intervals, not sure what yet. I might try out pushing the sled if it isn't too busy (or hot- the lifting gym is always way too hot and I run hot anyway). My usual Thurs am workout w/ Mom is moved to Friday this week. I might have to run back up to camp to get certified on the climbing wall today- I am hoping I can climb it while I'm there but I doubt I'm so lucky! If I don't have to run up to camp I'm hoping the girls and I can take a little bike ride.

• Like 1

I'm in crazy move-mode. Spent yesterday cooking and freezing things for our trip. Ran this morning with the group - hill training on stairs. I'm in yet another pair of new shoes. The more I thought about it, the more I think I remember my winter shoes being Nike Pegasus, so I took the plunge and bought a pair. They felt great - nice arch support and enough cushioning that I didn't feel like I was pounding the pavement. 

• Like 4

I have kept up for the last two weeks with fast but long walks and weights at the gym. 

I lost 7 pounds recently, and it looks like those 7 pounds were pivotal.(I am in a weight loss jouney - lost 25 pounds last year and want to lose 5 more.) I really had to go buy new bras and shorts and pants. All of a sudden this got expensive. Gotta say that I love TJ Maxx for the savings. My girls were actually eyeing some of my new clothes. I never thought I would be able to share with them. 

• Like 4

I'm in crazy move-mode. Spent yesterday cooking and freezing things for our trip. Ran this morning with the group - hill training on stairs. I'm in yet another pair of new shoes. The more I thought about it, the more I think I remember my winter shoes being Nike Pegasus, so I took the plunge and bought a pair. They felt great - nice arch support and enough cushioning that I didn't feel like I was pounding the pavement. 

Ya, for finding your shoes!!! 

30 minutes ago, lmrich said:

I have kept up for the last two weeks with fast but long walks and weights at the gym. 

I lost 7 pounds recently, and it looks like those 7 pounds were pivotal.(I am in a weight loss jouney - lost 25 pounds last year and want to lose 5 more.) I really had to go buy new bras and shorts and pants. All of a sudden this got expensive. Gotta say that I love TJ Maxx for the savings. My girls were actually eyeing some of my new clothes. I never thought I would be able to share with them. 

WTG!!! Ya for new clothes and losing weight! 

-------------------------------------------------

Short morning bike ride - 15 min- about 1.5 miles- 2 fair size hills but not the one that nearly killed me last week, I couldn't face it. I am meeting dh to get certified for the climbing tower. Currently hopping in the bath, feel like I should be productive but yesterday was crazy busy, and I've got enough planned for the next couple of days I'm going to chill while I got a chance- trying to not overdo it b/c you know I tend to do that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, soror said:

@wintermomDo you have some allergy-induced asthma? I really felt like last fall I was having trouble with that I had no endurance and lost it suddenly. That is a horrible feel ing.

Yes, I do. It's a subtle beast for me, though. It's not always obvious that it's a breathing problem, so I haven't used my puffer. In past years, I've felt out of breath and used the puffer, and it's relieved things a bit. This year I haven't felt out of breath so much as simply exhausted with racing heart beat. I should try my puffer and see if it helps.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, wintermom said:

Yes, I do. It's a subtle beast for me, though. It's not always obvious that it's a breathing problem, so I haven't used my puffer. In past years, I've felt out of breath and used the puffer, and it's relieved things a bit. This year I haven't felt out of breath so much as simply exhausted with racing heart beat. I should try my puffer and see if it helps.

(hugs) I felt exhausted this fall when I did anything, it was horrible ? I hope you get some relief.

-------------------------------------

I went and got my certification for the climbing tower but I nearly overheated. I think it was a combo of the heat - heat index of 100, nervousness, and the fact that I had taken a long hot bath before coming after a hot sweaty bike ride (which in hind site wasn't the smartest). I tend to get hot easily anyway. I was so embarrassed then my brain wasn't working at alll from the heat and nervousness, UGH. I felt like an idiot but I tried to keep it together.

PM-Intervals with warm up and cool down at the gym- and then a couple of ab things just for the heck of it; Relaxing walk at sunset w/ the girls

AM- headed to gym with Mom, doing workout B.

So, I've tried the whole eating early thing. I just can't do it. I also find I don't like doing a small breakfast and then a snack mid-morning. I'd rather just have a bigger breakfast. A 3pm snack is good though

• Like 2

@soror - Congratulations on your tower climbing certification!!! That's exciting! What does this certification allow you to do now?

I got a renewal of my allergy-inducted asthma puffer and tried it out yesterday. It sure made deep breathing easier! Hopefully this will have a positive impact on my tennis and other exercise. I'm playing doubles tennis this evening with my dh and friends. Hopefully there is no more rain today. I may also go to the homeschool running group this morning with my dss. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wintermom said:

@soror - Congratulations on your tower climbing certification!!! That's exciting! What does this certification allow you to do now?

I got a renewal of my allergy-inducted asthma puffer and tried it out yesterday. It sure made deep breathing easier! Hopefully this will have a positive impact on my tennis and other exercise. I'm playing doubles tennis this evening with my dh and friends. Hopefully there is no more rain today. I may also go to the homeschool running group this morning with my dss. 

I can now take the boys on the climbing wall, which is utterly awesome. I would have asked to climb it myself if I wasn't feeling so bad. It has 2 sides that have regular climbing holds, another with a cargo net and the last with a rope ladder up to an attached net and some wood blocks, it is crazy high too.

Woohoo, so glad to hear the inhaler helped! 

Morning workout done! It was a pretty good one, we did 5 intervals on the rowing machine. 

Taught an hour long yoga class this afternoon to girls in residential treatment center, they are always so good! We did some breathing, balance, strength work, games, and relaxation.

Headed to the lake for playing and swimming

• Like 1

I did weights on Tuesday and Thursday.  I ran instead of rowing after lifting.  It felt so good to run again.  I don't know if I'll be able to keep it up, and I'll quit the first sign that it affects my feet, but it really was nice to run, even on a treadmill! Monday and today I did 30 minutes of yoga.  I've also been walking almost every evening. 

@soror that book sounds great.  I remember when it came out and thought it sounded like a waste.  It seemed like stuff I already knew. But now I may have to take a look at it.  I think I will add it to my Amazon book list. ?  

• Like 2

@soror that's really cool about the climbing certificate. I'm impressed. I'm also a bit of a chicken, so I can't even imagine trying to climb. 

Gym today was great. I had a personal best with the trap bar dead lift. Three sets of 235lbs x 5. I also had the most volume on the bench press at 90lbs than I've done before - 3 sets of 5. I really want to make it to 100 lbs before we move - two weeks left! I exhausted my arms with the bench press - tried to do push-ups afterwards and was only able to do three on the floor. Then I moved to the bench and did a few more and then a higher box. I asked not to do split squats for the first time - I never ask not to do something, but I've got a long run tomorrow (somewhere between 15 and 18km, I think) and I really just need to have another good long run under my belt after all the shin splint stuff. I didn't want to do anything today that would tire my legs out too much for tomorrow. 

My eating was on point today - so that's a major victory. I'm really stressed out about our move, plus the the kids are stressed (and one is very angry), and I'm doing all this on my own as dh is at the new house, so I had some mega stress eating days. I'm trying to remind myself that eating chocolate doesn't actually make me feel better. I have 15 days left here. And the packers come on Monday!!! I think I can last two weeks. Really looking forward to seeing my 18 year old graduate and then getting the heck out of here!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Kim in Appalachia said:

@soror, I'm blaming you.  I ordered the book. ? 

I'm hoping my dd will take a serious look at it.  She has a lot of issues and maybe, if I leave it lying around, she will pick it up.  If I tell her to look at it, she will not, or tell me I don't understand.  

I also think my dh and I will get a lot out of it. 

LOL, I'm totally jealous b/c I want it. Like you I've heard of it for years but never looked at it much but I'm really impressed. When I get some extra money I'm going t buy a copy, I'm going to make some copies of the sections related to the movement I most do although there is so much info I am going to have to pick and choose. Great job lifting this week and yoga, good luck on running I hope you can keep at it pain-free.

2 hours ago, SarahCB said:

@soror that's really cool about the climbing certificate. I'm impressed. I'm also a bit of a chicken, so I can't even imagine trying to climb. 

Gym today was great. I had a personal best with the trap bar dead lift. Three sets of 235lbs x 5. I also had the most volume on the bench press at 90lbs than I've done before - 3 sets of 5. I really want to make it to 100 lbs before we move - two weeks left! I exhausted my arms with the bench press - tried to do push-ups afterwards and was only able to do three on the floor. Then I moved to the bench and did a few more and then a higher box. I asked not to do split squats for the first time - I never ask not to do something, but I've got a long run tomorrow (somewhere between 15 and 18km, I think) and I really just need to have another good long run under my belt after all the shin splint stuff. I didn't want to do anything today that would tire my legs out too much for tomorrow. 

My eating was on point today - so that's a major victory. I'm really stressed out about our move, plus the the kids are stressed (and one is very angry), and I'm doing all this on my own as dh is at the new house, so I had some mega stress eating days. I'm trying to remind myself that eating chocolate doesn't actually make me feel better. I have 15 days left here. And the packers come on Monday!!! I think I can last two weeks. Really looking forward to seeing my 18 year old graduate and then getting the heck out of here!

CONGRATS on your deadlift, that is awesome!!! Hugs on the moving and kudos to your ds. Be gentle on yourself, you've got a lot going on!

Went to the lake, gah my endurance sucks swimming! I'm totally being lazy this evening.

• Like 2

Hello all!  

@soror Great job on the cert!  

@lmrich Great job on the weight loss!!!  Those are fantastic results and I'm glad you got to treat yourself to some new clothes!

As for me, I'm trying to save a bad running week.  I ran Monday, then skipped T, W, Th.  Ran Friday.  If I run both days this weekend, I'll scrape out my 4x a week goal.  While my mom was in town, I also lost my early morning wake-up habit, and binge-watching a netflix series this week has not helped.  A few more episodes, then it will be out of my system.  ?    I also hope one of my weekend runs will about around 5 miles... that will put me on track for where I want to be in September.  I think at this point I could do a 7 miler again, but I don't think it would be wise, so I'd like to have a few weeks to build back up, then plan my half marathon training form there, with whatever amount of time remains.  I'm good at running on guts alone, but I'm beginning to understand I'm not as young as I used to be and injury is a real possibility if I start taking risks.    

• Like 2