Menu

Question for international home educators... high school with no American history?

We are American, but we live in the UK and have done for most of my kids' lives. My 15yo dd is doing a fairly typical American high school progression with 4 years English, Algebra I and II with Geometry for math, the usual sciences, etc to work toward an American high school diploma. She is going into 11th grade in September and isn't particularly interested in American history and government. We've covered it in her younger years, and she doesn't especially want to spend another year on it. She did Ancient History for 9th and World History for 10th. I'm wondering how feasible it would be to find other social studies courses (maybe Sociology and Geography) to fill out her last two years and not do American history and government. Has anyone else done this?

• Like 1

Our cover school required one year of American History and 1/2 year of government. My dd had no particular interest and it was obviously difficult to find field trip opportunities here in Belgium to supplement outside of WW1 and WW2 sites. But we did Notgrass and it was okay. For government, I signed her up for an online class that met the requirement. I was quite surprised at how little she remembered from elementary school US History. So it was not a bad thing to do it, she is American after all. I would look at university requirements for where you think you dd is going to go. 

Alternately, you could do sociology, psychology, AP Microeconomics, etc. There are a lot of possibilities if you do not need USH.

• Like 1

We are Australian and I have had my kids do Sonlight's Core 300 (20th century history) sometime during the last 2 years of school. This has been a good broad coverage of major world events/issues (ie: not a specifically American focus) for them. 

They have also done 'Understanding the Times' which is a Christian worldview course including sociology,  psychology, etc. They have found it really good.

• Like 1

If in the future there is interest in attending a College or University in the USA and if she is going to have a U.S. High School Diploma, I suspect that her not having had U.S. Government and possibly a course in U.S. History, etc.,  might look quite odd on her transcript when the Admissions people look at the courses she took. There may be specific requirements that are shown on the  web sites of the universities she might want to attend, showing required courses.  

NOTE: Since she is a U.S. Citizen, she should take the PSAT/NMSQT examination (CollegeBoard.org) during October of her Junior year. October 2018

She is a US citizen? If at any time in her life she anticipates living in the US and partaking of the rights of citizenship, I strongly urge her to take a combo US History/Gov class. You cannot be a good citizen without understanding where we came from and how our system operates. As she studies, it might be interesting for her to compare what she learns to what she (I asssume) knows about British history and government.

Thanks for all the responses. We have decided to go ahead and cover the US history and government because she doesn't know where she wants to pursue higher education, and it's better to be safe than sorry. Thanks!