Menu

"Best" High School Geometry Books?

Hello! DS14 (rising 9th grader) is determined to study Honors Geometry 1 this summer so that he can test out of it and go straight into Honors Geometry 2 in the fall. 

What are considered the "best" high school geometry books?

Since I am a curriculum junkie, here is what I already own:

• Art of Problem Solving Introduction to Geometry
  • Chalkdust Geometry
  • Geometry for Enjoyment and Challenge, New Edition, McDougal Littell/Houghton Mifflin

I love Art of Problem Solving; ds completed AOPS Prealgebra and Algebra 1 classes. I think AOPS is brilliant curriculum, but when ds transitioned from AOPS Algebra to Dolciani Algebra (the book used at his school), he had trouble shifting his mindset and thought that there was too much busy work and focus on "stupid exercises" rather than mathematical thinking. Yes, he said that about Dolciani Algebra, the gold standard of algebra textbooks. He eventually grew to appreciate and enjoy Dolciani, but the shift was a bit painful. So, I am concerned that if he uses AOPS Geometry, he might actually be less likely to successfully test out of Geometry 1. 

The book used at his school is Geometry for Enjoyment and Challenge. 

Are there any other wonderful high school geometry 1 textbooks I am missing out on? Is there a text that is considered the gold standard for high school geometry?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

What does he need to do to "test out" of geometry?

From what you describe, I'd used AoPS geometry - hands down the best at teaching the mathematical thinking of geometry. He might need to memorize some theorem names or such to be able to pass a placement test, but he certainly out to be able to do the geometry. 

2 hours ago, trulycrabby said:

Hello! DS14 (rising 9th grader) is determined to study Honors Geometry 1 this summer so that he can test out of it and go straight into Honors Geometry 2 in the fall. 

The book used at his school is Geometry for Enjoyment and Challenge.

I think you have your answer especially if you can get someone's worksheets and tests from this year. Can you get the assignment list from the teacher before the year finishes? Following the school's program as closely as possible will maximize his ability to score well enough to place out of Geometry 1.

He does have access to class notes and tests. I will likely follow the class text and augment with youtube videos for difficult concepts. 

I was just hoping to find another good curriculum to examine.:)

I love AOPS; DH and I both love working through their books, but I might have to put it aside for this class.

Thanks for your help!

• Like 1