Menu

Online algebra II class best suited to visual learner with dysgraphia and stealth dyslexia

Hi everyone,

Would you be able to recommend a class that will help my struggling DD? She is not homeschooled but the high school she goes to agreed that they do not have the skills to help her with maths for now and suggested we seek expertise outside for a year to help her close her algebra gaps. I found a teacher who has experience with her learning disabilities and can help her but the school asked that she uses a course from an online accredited school so it can be counted as a credit.

I am looking for a curriculum that is ideally self-paced over 12 months, includes lots of reviews of previous materials, lots of real world applications and is as visual as possible. So far I have looked at courses from:

The Keystone school  - their algebra II online demo is not the most exciting, but it is hard to figure out the course style from it.

OakMeadow high school - they use the Saxon books, I like the constant reviews but am worried the format/explanations might not suit her - would be curious to hear your experiences with it

I have also contacted Halstrom academy and Park city and am waiting to hear from them. Any other course I should look into?

Thanks for your help!

Edited by Violet

I think consider the tutor more.

Can the school look at some other way to award a credit.  Can you submit a portfolio of her assignments or anything like that, so she can work with the tutor.  

Can your daughter take this math credit later and just not have a math credit this year.

If you are looking for something in conjunction with the tutor, I would see if the tutor has any suggestions.  

An online class could be the best thing or the only thing, but depending on what happened if the school suggested an online class maybe you can just not agree to that yet and ask for other options.  

Have you done placement tests for Saxon, MUS, etc. to see whether she's actually placing into algebra 2 in their curricula? 

And this is a private school or public? 

I think you might need to see the placement test results before you can know what placement would be good. 

Also, has she done geometry yet? If she hasn't, you might do geometry and see if they'll let her graduate with 2 math credits. Make up the credits needed for graduation by doing areas that are more to her strenghts (history, etc.). Or do the algebra 2 but spread it over 2 years with a tutor. But if she hasn't done geometry yet, I would do that, just to give her more bloom time.

Thanks Lecka and PeterPan, She did geometry already and is in a very competitive private school. We are foreigners and she did a thorough placement test with the school last Summer and they put her in algebra II this year in 9th grade. Before she was at a French American middle school, and she completed Algebra I and geometry. Her maths were already slowly degrading, which is why we sought a neuropsych evaluation (she learns but forgets, nothing sticks). I asked that they put her back in Algebra I this year but the teacher refused saying she would be bored. I was not strong enough in insisting and now I regret. My daughter currently has a 70% grade with accommodations that give her 50% extra time. To get that grade she is incredibly stressed and I know letting her go to precalc next year is a sure pass to failing that class. I guess my worry is that if she only does the tutor she will have one less credit (although still enough to graduate) and I am not sure how a university would see an application with a year without math. DD hesitates between business studies or veterinary studies, and for the latter I am concerned it may be a problem. I guess I should call the vet school and ask!

I was going to suggest MUS but since you need something accredited I'm not sure how that would work.  I'm curious as to what the curriculum is that she is currently struggling through.  So basically the only accommodation she is receiving is time and a half on exams, right?  There are more options for accommodations.

What struck me when I first read your post has to do with studies that came out a few years ago about kids doing advanced math in the middle school years and by the middle of high school or entering into University found them unprepared because they didn't retain the foundation they needed.  It was a hurry up and make the transcript look great with all those advanced level courses but in theory the brain wasn't ready and basically kids knew enough to study hard for a test and then the brain dumped it.  Colleges scrambled to add courses to bring students back up to speed because they weren't able to the do college-level work.  Just a rambling perspective here.

I know you are looking for a course but first, despite what the school tested, I'd pick a curriculum - say MUS and have her do the placement tests for Algebra I and II and see what her results are - they cost nothing to take and those results are yours and need not be shared with the school.  You just might be surprised with the results.  While I'd hope she would fly through the tests and be bored I have a feeling it will be something much different.  You could also look over the vet school website and see what requirements an incoming student has as it pertains to math.  It may not be just so many courses but they may require a placement exam or a certain score on the SAT/ACT.  They might have samples or practice tests that they give the students which you could have your dd take and observe those results.  This might help you figure out a path on how to proceed - redo Algebra I and II with a tutor - maybe turn it into a combo and hit all the important skills - again MUS would be useful for that because you can go as fast or as slow as needed. 

1shortmomto4, yes I totally agree with you that part of the problem is that I have a child with learning disabilities that greatly slow her down in maths and yet, she was accelerated!! The worst combination possible. Being new to the US, we did not know she was accelerated until she started HS with algebra II and told me she was with 10th graders. In her French American middle school they had a standard maths group and an advanced one. Not surprisingly she was assigned to the standard one, but because they studied both French maths and US maths in parallel, even the standard group was, unbeknownst to us, accelerated. Now we are dealing with the consequences and slowing her back down. She needs a combo of algebra I and II I think, but we are planning a placement test with her tutor anyway. I would prefer to break free from the chains of having to follow a time intensive, Algebra II class, but I am concerned that having one year without maths on her transcript will put her at a disadvantage when applying to colleges. Most universities with degrees that will lead to a vet school prefer four years of maths in high school, so I am torn.

Heathermomster, chalkdust seems interesting but they are not a class per se, doing their program won't get my daughter a credit. 

Cheers!

Would you consider letting her work on Cogmed over the summer ? It isn't mathematical. It is a computer program completely based on building  all based in working memory. I found someone who could provide a home program for under $400. Also I would look at any retained reflexes and look up how to build up working memory transfer to longterm memory. 

It is here in the US. We came here three years ago from Europe. The school follows both the French curriculum and the US one, but really is mostly frnech in the way it handles the kids, grades etc. In a way we didn't really understand the US system fully until she moved to an American high school.