Menu

WWS 3 Time per day.

WWS III has been very time consuming; we don't follow the schedule on most days because it an is unreasonable amount of time commitment per day, as written.  But I feel it is a very good program, so we are using it on our own timetable.

Are you doing the writing in HO Level 3 as well?

It isn't as useful to me if it isn't open and go. If I have to re-write the schedule, I can stick with what I have.

ETA... after looking over it, there seems to be a natural break after Week 19. If I did weeks 1 & 2 as one week lessons, I could spread on week out over two and cover what really needs to be covered next year. So maybe.

We used it in late 7th and 8th grade.  I spread the three-book series out over 4 years (5th-8th) but we also only scheduled it for 4 days per week.  The amount of time spent for each lesson varied so much that I cannot really say there was a good average.  We aimed to spend roughly one hour per day.  This sometimes meant more than one lesson in a day and more often meant more than one day on a single lesson.  We had more schedule flexibility at that time so if dd was really into it, I could allow up to 90 minutes and on the flip side, on time-crunch days with a tight schedule we would sometimes move on if a lesson only took 30 minutes.  Had dd been in 9th grade and we hit it 5 days a week, I think it would be very doable with one hour per day on a 36 week school year.  If you are lagging behind, there are a few weeks (IIRC) that could be skipped to catch up.

• Like 1

We are doing the three books over four years (6th-9th). I schedule an hour a day, 5 days a week. It is still open and go, but we don't always finish a day's work in a day, so we just pick up there the next day. 

ETA we won't get to book 3 until next year.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 12:33 PM, MamaSprout said:

Are you doing the writing in HO Level 3 as well?

It isn't as useful to me if it isn't open and go. If I have to re-write the schedule, I can stick with what I have.

ETA... after looking over it, there seems to be a natural break after Week 19. If I did weeks 1 & 2 as one week lessons, I could spread on week out over two and cover what really needs to be covered next year. So maybe.

We are using it with HO Level 3.  WWS III is open-and-go; it's written o the student and isn't a terrible burden on the teacher.  It just has too much work on some days and ridiculously light days on others, so I let DD work on it on her own and on her own pace.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2018 at 5:58 PM, Reefgazer said:

We are using it with HO Level 3.  WWS III is open-and-go; it's written o the student and isn't a terrible burden on the teacher.  It just has too much work on some days and ridiculously light days on others, so I let DD work on it on her own and on her own pace.

Thanks. How does it time out week to week? I'm assigning Dd's work by week next year. Is it uneven that way? Assigning by time doesn't always work for us.

14 hours ago, MamaSprout said:

Thanks. How does it time out week to week? I'm assigning Dd's work by week next year. Is it uneven that way? Assigning by time doesn't always work for us.

It is very uneven trying get to assign the work week to week.  The book is divided into weeks, and then each week is divided days.  But sometimes a day’s assignment will take half an hour, and the next day it might take two hours; there’s just no consistency as far as time goes.  What has worked well for us is this:  I divided the book into 4 quarters and I told my daughter a quarter the book must be completed a quarter into the school year.  I kind of spotcheck periodically to be sure she is on track to finish about a quarter of the book by the time a quarter of the school year  has passed.   I love the book and I think it is excellent, but scheduling it is really difficult.

• Like 1