Menu

AP Psychology

I’m sure this has been discussed on here somewhere, but the search function is not being nice to me.  ?. I can’t find anything!

I’m looking for AP Psych reviews from anyone who’s dc have taken it.  Anywhere!  PAH is a top choice, but I’m open to suggestions.  I’m especially looking for info from those who had younger students.  My dd is 13.  She’s been doing high school level work for a year and writes well so I’m not worried there.  I’m more worried about reception by the instructor and getting into the class.

Thank you so much for any info!!

Lisa

Freesia, I am not set on online and Christian commentary is fine.  How did you handle the essay portion )or what would be the FRQs for the class)?  Were you able to grade these with the information given?  How did your ds score or was it taken this year?  I realize every child is different, but looking for how this content fares, if you know what I mean.

Thank you for the input!

-Lisa

cuckoomamma - What was your dd's work/outsource experience going into AP Psych in 9th?  I see PAH says it's recommended for 10th-12th, so I was hesitant to jump in for my rising 9th grader. What else did your  dd do in 9th?

I too hear rave, rave reviews about Mrs Gonzalez and definitely want to jump one of my dc in!

My dd had never taken an outsourced class before freshman year.  She took 3 PAH classes along with our classes: APES, AP Psych and APHUG.  We were nervous applying to the classes, but I think that they're very accepting of younger students and just want to be sure that a student is serious if they are on the younger side.

My dd doesn't love live classes, but she really enjoyed Mrs. G's live component.  She's been a TA for Mrs. G both sophomore and junior year and will be again next year. 

16 hours ago, bibsandmegs said:

Freesia, I am not set on online and Christian commentary is fine.  How did you handle the essay portion )or what would be the FRQs for the class)?  Were you able to grade these with the information given?  How did your ds score or was it taken this year?  I realize every child is different, but looking for how this content fares, if you know what I mean.

Thank you for the input!

-Lisa

The answer book has how to score the FRQs and it is fairly straight forward. 

He took it this year and feels really confident. 

12 hours ago, mirabillis said:

cuckoomamma - What was your dd's work/outsource experience going into AP Psych in 9th?  I see PAH says it's recommended for 10th-12th, so I was hesitant to jump in for my rising 9th grader. What else did your  dd do in 9th? 

I too hear rave, rave reviews about Mrs Gonzalez and definitely want to jump one of my dc in!

My feel that the age limit is more for the content, than workload. I was not following closely, but know they discussed in length much of pshyc. disorders, some gender issues. So if the kid is mature to handle these topics, the course would be just fine. 

For us, there was no way on Earth, my 13 year old would have been ready to hear that content. At 15, she handled it beautifully.

My son is doing Sonlight's AP Psychology next year as well. However, he's in a different situation. He'll be a senior and already has many AP under his belt including AP English so I have no worries about him self-studying for the free response with study guides.

24 minutes ago, Julie of KY said:

My son is doing Sonlight's AP Psychology next year as well. However, he's in a different situation. He'll be a senior and already has many AP under his belt including AP English so I have no worries about him self-studying for the free response with study guides.

Yes, that was our situation, too. 

Freesia, were you concerned that the Sunlight curriculum is an older curriculum, older than the latest revision of the Psych exam?  I know the book is a 2014 book, but do you feel that the curriculum adequately addressed any updates?  I contacted Sonlight to ask them, and got a little information, but I thought I'd check with you since you actually have the curriculum.

Thank you so much for your help!

-Lisa

I got him the Barron's Prep book.  I know he watched the Crash Course Psychology videos which he said lined up well with the book.  I don't think he used the Barron's book that much, although he may have done one of the practice tests.  When he gets back from work, I'll ask him.

I’ve experienced the same thing as another dd took AP Calc the year it was revised, which corresponds to the date on the AP launch page.  

I also found this, which is somewhat misleading.  I think this is just revisions to the description, not the test itself.

http://teachinghighschoolpsychology.blogspot.com/2013/05/changes-in-new-ap-psych-course.html

This will definitely be an interesting and hard class for my dd.  She has not taken any APs yet, and I’ll have to be sure that her essays are up to AP standards.  I guess maybe I can elicit the help of my college sophomore who took a bunch of APs and my Senior who actually took AP Psych with a friend when we lived in another state, but only scored a 3.

Thanks for your help!  I’d love to hear how your dc did once scores come out.

• Like 1