Menu

How long to recover from bronchitis?

PeterPan

Tell me I'm ok and am getting better. It was a week ago (5/19) that I went to UC coughing blood. My antibiotic finishes today. The 50mg prednisone worked. I'm just so tired. I woke up today at 70% fatigue, which was better than I've been, and I'm now back down to 80%. My mind seems half alert, but my body is just in slow mo, not doing anything.

I don't mean to whine, but I'm tired enough that I'm a little worried, just wanting to make sure I'm ok and on track to get well. My breathing is back up to 540-560, which is where it should be. My appetite is fine and I'm not coughing. I'm just tired.

• Sad 1

You are ok and getting better. It takes me a month for bronchitis and two for pneumonia. That’s why I get a prednisone shot and hit all of my inhalers hard as soon as I start to feel stuff in my lungs. If I can get opened up right away usually I don’t move on to an infection. Infections take a long time to recover from.

Dont forget your probiotics! I take them for a month after antibiotics. It does help my overall health.

• Like 1

My dd was in hospital with pneumonia 2-3 weeks ago.  She is now out and has finished her antibiotics but has still been struggling with fatigue and some breathlessness etc. She's been back to the doc (he did check her iron levels - all good) and he told her that it can take up to 6 weeks to really recover. Bronchitis would be similar...not a whole lot of difference between them. 

So...take it easy...rest lots.  Hope you are feeling better soon. 

• Like 1

My dd gets it now and then, and it generally takes her weeks to recover;  she's otherwise very healthy!  But getting over bad colds seem to take a long time for her.  Two years ago she had bronchitis and it probably took her four months to feel herself again.  It was a tough winter for her!

I'd give it a little time, but if you're worried, can you just call an on-call nurse at your clinic?  They're usually very helpful, in our experience.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PeterPan said:

Tell me I'm ok and am getting better. It was a week ago (5/19) that I went to UC coughing blood. My antibiotic finishes today. The 50mg prednisone worked. I'm just so tired. I woke up today at 70% fatigue, which was better than I've been, and I'm now back down to 80%. My mind seems half alert, but my body is just in slow mo, not doing anything.

I don't mean to whine, but I'm tired enough that I'm a little worried, just wanting to make sure I'm ok and on track to get well. My breathing is back up to 540-560, which is where it should be. My appetite is fine and I'm not coughing. I'm just tired.

I'm so sorry. :-(

I've had bronchitis three times. The first time followed on the heels of a sinus infection. I was down for a month. The second time the antibiotic knocked it out in a week. The third time was about three weeks, with an antibiotic.

I don't think there are any rules. :-(

Just take care of yourself. You'll be better when you're better.

• Like 1

I agree with everyone...take your time to heal and get well.  It took our son 6 weeks to feel half human after a round of strong antibiotics and then 3 to 4 months to back to normal.  Hope you feel better soon! 

• Like 1