Menu

Math Kangaroo Results

Something weird is going on this year with Math Kangaroo with posting of results. I saw they uploaded this google sheet with the winners list. It only lists the top 20 national scores and the top 3 state. However, there is no way to figure what your student won because they don't list any info about scores or rankings or which award was earned.

I haven't gotten any email contact, but apparently DS is on the list.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1oo2o6A7NrnmAext52BRQT0SGMqWKtFleH5eztr62RB8/edit#gid=1502065169

• Like 1

They keep saying that they will email parents with each student's score and rank, and I think the last thing I heard was "the end of May into the beginning of June." The lists on the website intentionally don't have the ranks listed, I think because they are waiting for center managers to host awards ceremonies (or state ceremonies if you live in a place that does those).

I'm a center manager this year and I don't know my own kid's score (though I do know she didn't place). I have parents emailing me over and over asking for info that I don't have. I do know the ranks for the winners, but not their scores, and I've been instructed not to reveal ranks until the awards ceremony.

On 5/28/2018 at 8:33 PM, calbear said:

Something weird is going on this year with Math Kangaroo with posting of results. I saw they uploaded this google sheet with the winners list. It only lists the top 20 national scores and the top 3 state. However, there is no way to figure what your student won because they don't list any info about scores or rankings or which award was earned.

I haven't gotten any email contact, but apparently DS is on the list.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1oo2o6A7NrnmAext52BRQT0SGMqWKtFleH5eztr62RB8/edit#gid=1502065169

Yes, it's been a very bad year for MK.  They switched their online registration to some new system.  I host MK locally, and I wasn't able to check to see who had registered at my site, or if my site was full.  (Their old system, while a little clunky, on the whole worked really well for me.)  I only received scores for a couple of students who in the top nationally and in the state, and I received their awards.  But I did not receive any scores for any other students.  Here is the latest message from my local MK rep:

"Dear Center Managers - Math Kangaroo CEO informed the state directors this morning that they are having IT issues and have resorted to a manual email process for communicating the Math Kangaroo results to parents individually. As you can imagine this could me a time consuming process considering nearly 30,000 students took the test.

Please proactively communicate to parents in your centers that they will receive their individual results by email between next week and mid-June due to this manual process. This will help avoid emails from anxious parents expecting to receive the results by now.

As I've informed before, I'm not part of Math Kangaroo organization or management - I'm a center manager, like you, but volunteered to be the intermediary for shipping and communications this year. Like all other parents, I'm waiting for the results for my kids as well. So, I'm unable to provide any additional information."

And this is the message I received from Maria at MK HQ:

"Dear Manager of MK 18 “private” center,  This is to let you know that you are entitled to receive scores of your participants upon your request, only.  If you wish to receive the scores, we understand you are planning to inform families, one at a time to honor their privacy.  To receive the results at your center, after the weekend, please send your email to monikw@mathkangaroo.org; include your name and all your center information( state, city, enter name)  Request will be served first-in-first-served. Kindly allow some waiting time."

HTH, and congratulations to your student.  (If you want to PM his name to me, I can see if it is only any of my lists.  Or you can send me your email and I will try to share that info with you.)  

• Like 1

My understanding is that in some states there's a statewide awards ceremony, and in other states (like mine) each center is supposed to host their own. Awards are given to students who placed in the top 20 nationally and/or top 3 within the state. I do have the list of kids who ranked for my center and what place each one got, and I received the awards, so I have my ceremony scheduled for next week. I don't have their actual scores, just ranks. I have nothing at all for kids at my center who did not place (like my own child). 

And I did not get any of the other info that daijobu just shared - so thank you, daijobu! 

Another thought:  I only have the info for the centers in my area.  Have you tried contacting the person in charge of your local center because they probably have the info you need.

I received the prizes for my 2 winners a couple of weeks ago, so I'm wondering if everyone received their prizes?  

We haven’t received the scores yet from Math Kangaroo. Last year only my elder dd gave the exam and placed 19. The center award ceremony was held first and then state and she was invited for both. We got the info on May 1st.

This year both my dds participated. However this year the Math Kangaroo website declared only top 10 national winners would be awarded. My elder one did not place and second one did, as per my calculations she should be around 15-17 rank. We know that the state ceremony was scheduled in May so I assume as written on their website only top 10 got to participate ( though the top 20 were recognized on their website). Our center however has invited all placed in the top 20. 

We got dd's last week. It included state and national percentile. She's forgotten about the scores, so I'll wait until the test is close to give it to her as her score to beat. She shouldn't have a problem beating it! As a kindergartener she was a little in over her head. I'm just very proud she tried each problem and didn't shut down over the ones she couldn't do.

Can someone help me interpret these results?  They were forwarded to me by a parent whose student took the exam at my site:

The student’s score (number of points) is: 89

National Ranking: student earned place 29 nationally

State Ranking: student earned place 27 in state

Number of correct answers: 23

Percent of the test solved correctly: 77%

National percentile: 71.1

State percentile: 69.4

Is is a weird coincidence that he was in 29th place and in the 71st percentile nationally?  I think this means he earned the 29th highest score, but I wonder if there isn't an error.  

Did anyone receive this year's answer key with their results?

The Math Kangaroo site says, "The results will be available via our web page after the third Sunday in May and will be sent via e-mail to all families.  2018 Results will be sent via email to each participating family through May."

However, the results do not appear to be on the web page and I did not receive them in the mail.

12 hours ago, wendyroo said:

Did anyone receive this year's answer key with their results?

The Math Kangaroo site says, "The results will be available via our web page after the third Sunday in May and will be sent via e-mail to all families.  2018 Results will be sent via email to each participating family through May."

However, the results do not appear to be on the web page and I did not receive them in the mail.

I'm not sure whether you're asking about the answer key or the results or both. The answer key is where @ttt linked above. For results, I had to email and ask before I got my daughter's. (She did fine, just didn't quite place.)