Menu

Books to go along with World Geography - What am I missing?

I'm planning World Geography for 9th next year.  These are the books I have planned already.  It's very incomplete. I was hoping all you wonderful people could point out amazing things I have missed or ones I have listed that may be too hard.  What are your must-haves for geography literature and non-fiction?

SPINES:
Geography: the Human and Physical World
Oak Meadow Geography Syllabus
Hungry Planet
Material World
Teens with the Courage to Give
World Religions
Geography Through Art
Eat Your Way Around the World

LITERATURE:
INTRO TO GEOGRAPHY:

NORTH AMERICA:
The Call of the Wild

SOUTH AMERICA:
The Disappeared
The Queen of Water

EUROPE:
The Importance of Being Earnest
The Years of Rice and Salt
Watership Down
Something Shakespeare

ASIA:
Animal Farm
Between Shades of Gray
The Complete Persepolis
Q&A: A Novel
A Thousand Splendid Suns

AFRICA:
Cry, the Beloved Country
The Poisonwood Bible

AUSTRALIA and OCEANA:
Follow the Rabbit-Proof Fence
Kon-Tiki

ANTARCTICA:

NON-FICTION:
INTRO:
How to Lie with Maps or The Road to There
Guns, Germs, and Steel or Collapse

NORTH AMERICA:
The Log From the Sea of Cortez
A Walk in the Woods

SOUTH AMERICA:
Child of the Dark

EUROPE:
My Family and Other Animals
How the Irish Saved Civilization

ASIA:
I Am Malala
The Endless Steppe
The Lemon Tree

AFRICA:
The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind

AUSTRALIA:
In a Sunburned Country

ANTARCTICA:
Endurance

• Like 2

On 5/28/2018 at 3:05 PM, travelgirlut said:

I'm planning World Geography for 9th next year.  These are the books I have planned already.  It's very incomplete. I was hoping all you wonderful people could point out amazing things I have missed or ones I have listed that may be too hard.  What are your must-haves for geography literature and non-fiction?

SPINES:
Geography: the Human and Physical World
Oak Meadow Geography Syllabus
Hungry Planet
Material World
Teens with the Courage to Give
World Religions
Geography Through Art
Eat Your Way Around the World

LITERATURE:
INTRO TO GEOGRAPHY:

NORTH AMERICA:
The Call of the Wild

SOUTH AMERICA:
The Disappeared
The Queen of Water

EUROPE:
The Importance of Being Earnest
The Years of Rice and Salt
Watership Down
Something Shakespeare

ASIA:
Animal Farm
Between Shades of Gray
The Complete Persepolis
Q&A: A Novel
A Thousand Splendid Suns

AFRICA:
Cry, the Beloved Country
The Poisonwood Bible

AUSTRALIA and OCEANA:
Follow the Rabbit-Proof Fence
Kon-Tiki

ANTARCTICA:

NON-FICTION:
INTRO:
How to Lie with Maps or The Road to There
Guns, Germs, and Steel or Collapse

NORTH AMERICA:
The Log From the Sea of Cortez
A Walk in the Woods

SOUTH AMERICA:
Child of the Dark

EUROPE:
My Family and Other Animals
How the Irish Saved Civilization

ASIA:
I Am Malala
The Endless Steppe
The Lemon Tree

AFRICA:
The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind

AUSTRALIA:
In a Sunburned Country

ANTARCTICA:
Endurance

I used your ideas as a springboard and came up with the following, although my DD wants her course to have more of a cultures/religions bent to it rather than geography, so thanks for sharing!!!

Spines - BJU Cultural Geography (just a few chapters at the beginning actually), Eat Your Way Around the World, Handbook of Today's Religions, and a National Geographic book called People of the World will all be spines

I'm not having her read any extra lit for North America because she's already so familiar with it ?

South America - The Queen of Water, bio of Cameron Townsend (missionary)

Europe & Russia - Between Shades of Gray, bio of Brother Andrew

Middle East - I Am Malala

Asia (India and surrounding countries) - Kim, bio of Amy Carmichael

Asia (southeast and east) - Snow Falling in Spring, bio of Hudson Taylor

Australia/Oceania - Kon-Tiki, bio of Florence Young

Africa - Cry the Beloved Country, bio of Mary Slessor

I have fewer books listed than you do because I'm not sure my DD could keep up with reading that many. I added in the missionary bios for different continents because she is considering becoming a missionary someday. The one thing I'm stuck with is what to do for output. I know I'll require a paper of some kind - probably comparing and contrasting some of the world religions she studies - but do you have any other ideas for output?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Momto5inIN said:

I have fewer books listed than you do because I'm not sure my DD could keep up with reading that many. 

The one thing I'm stuck with is what to do for output. I know I'll require a paper of some kind - probably comparing and contrasting some of the world religions she studies - but do you have any other ideas for output?

My daughter won't read all these books either, but she likes to be able to choose her own.

For output I'm using the Oak Meadow World Geography syllabus. They've got research topics, questions, and activity lists for all the different regions (though it's oddly lacking the Middle East?). I'll probably borrow ideas from the Build Your Library 7 schedule as well, I just haven't gotten it yet to know what I'm borrowing from it. I may not use it at all since there's a fair amount in the OM one already.

I'm glad my list could be useful. I pieced it together from other geography lists. Good luck with your planning!

• Like 1

Thank you!  I am just about to start creating a course and this is perfect!

I am using the hmh world geography text as a spine.  I actually came here for modern literature ideas and found this!

Here are some books that I was going to use.

Journey to the Center of the Earth -- to start.

Longitude: The Story of a Lone Genius Who Solved the Greatest Scientific Problem of His Time

Full Tilt: Ireland to India with a Bicycle by Dervia Murphy 

I was thinking of ending with something fun like -- The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy

• Like 2

12 hours ago, travelgirlut said:

My daughter won't read all these books either, but she likes to be able to choose her own.

For output I'm using the Oak Meadow World Geography syllabus. They've got research topics, questions, and activity lists for all the different regions (though it's oddly lacking the Middle East?). I'll probably borrow ideas from the Build Your Library 7 schedule as well, I just haven't gotten it yet to know what I'm borrowing from it. I may not use it at all since there's a fair amount in the OM one already.

I'm glad my list could be useful. I pieced it together from other geography lists. Good luck with your planning!

If you're planning on getting BYL 7 to borrow from: there is a recommended extra list for each Continent (separated by country) which you can also draw from.

We're doing BYL 7 this coming year if my middle child stays at home. I'm going to replace some of the books in it since my child has read some of the literature already.