Menu

Reverse-Thinking Math

I read an article today that had a good suggestion on math problems. The author called it 'reverse-thinking' & it has piqued my interest. An example is 'Half of what number is 5?' This is flipping the tradtional/routine question of ''What is 1/2 of 10?' I like this deviation from the same ol' format of word problens as it keeps you on your toes. I have looked online for a bank of such questions (grades 3-4) but am coming up empty-handed. Anyone have sone leads? Thanks.

A lot of MEP is like that.  You could print out some of their pages and just do the ones you find interesting. I would also say some of the products we have from Critical Thinking Co. work similar - Balance Benders comes to mind right off as something that kids have to work through.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Earthmerlin said:

I read an article today that had a good suggestion on math problems. The author called it 'reverse-thinking' & it has piqued my interest. An example is 'Half of what number is 5?' This is flipping the tradtional/routine question of ''What is 1/2 of 10?' I like this deviation from the same ol' format of word problens as it keeps you on your toes. I have looked online for a bank of such questions (grades 3-4) but am coming up empty-handed. Anyone have sone leads? Thanks.

Singapore does this all the time!  My kids hate it!

• Like 1