Menu

What would you call this shirt?

ktgrok

2 hours ago, Dotwithaperiod said:

I have to really search thru his photos of himself and his products to find the type of shirt you linked, it seems like most of his shirts are T shirts with marine life. I suppose people that are into  sport fishing and the marine world recognize the name. It doesn’t surprise me a bit that he’s unknown to most of us.

My mil gives me all of her crime genre paperbacks. It seems so formulaic to describe a character with specific brand names. I really dislike it; having paragraphs informing me  the character wears Prada or drives a Tesla makes me think they’re padding pages. A couple words with a specific product named, fine. If I care enough I’ll look it up. Most likely not, tho. 

Sorry, I meant I'd EITHER describe him in the button down shirt I linked originally, OR a Guy Harvey shirt. Two different things, but definitely won't do the Guy Harvey thing since it isn't well known. And I do get what you mean, one of the reasons I don't like Chick Lit is the constant brand names that I either can't pronounce or have never heard of or both. In my mind, Guy Harvey is more like Coke or Kleenex than Prada, but obviously that is a very local bias. 

1 hour ago, Quill said:

Yes!!! Now I really understand why I hated certain books I have read! One was constantly describing people’s condoes as having “Crate and Barrel” this or “Williams Sonoma” that. I understood the purpose as far as using expensive brands to indicate an economic level and/or a person’s buying profile, but I thought it would be better said as, “the sleek, white leather couch” or whatever. 

I also recently read an otherwise acceptable book that had seemingly every character driving an SUV. It irked me. 

LOL, what I hate is when I feel like I'm too poor to even read the book, lol. 

1 hour ago, TechWife said:

Yes - I agree. A sandal has a strap around the ankle and often across the top of the foot. There are no straps on flip flops, just the thong. That's why they make the "flip" and "flop" sounds while a person is walking!

yup.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

Oh, for those wondering, this is Guy Harvey. He's a conservationist and artist and has a line of apparel that is VERY popular in Florida. Like, a common gift for Dad is a "guy harvey shirt". 

https://g.co/kgs/zfnsRu

Amazing. I can honestly say this is the first I’ve ever heard of him. DH is very familiar with Tommy Bahama shirts, but their camp shirts don’t really look like those!

12 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

I'm utterly fascinated by how regional clothing can be. In Florida EVERYONE would know what a Guy Harvey shirt is, and no one here knows. So crazy!!!  I had NO idea it was such a local phenomenon. 

Oh, and even my very non outdoorsy husband wears leather flip flops. 

I have never heard of a Guy Harvey shirt. Googling now.

On 5/26/2018 at 6:46 PM, Ktgrok said:

Spoiler alert: a woman rips it off his steaming hot body  ?

On 5/26/2018 at 6:46 PM, Ktgrok said:

LOL, not even close, at last not in this scene. In this scene he's about to meet a muddy but sweet golden retriever and play with the dog and a little boy ?

Ah, then I assume that the dog rips the shirt off his (the hero's) steaming hot body.

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 1

On 5/27/2018 at 1:43 AM, Ausmumof3 said:

And of course flip flops are thongs here...

Yes, they are thongs for me as well. Both terms "flip flop" and "thong" just make me giggle. Probably because the actual footwear involved is kind of ridiculous to someone from northern Canada. There's only 1 day you might wear them - and by the time you figure out it's warm enough you are 100 miles from any beach.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

Yes, they are thongs for me as well. Both terms "flip flop" and "thong" just make me giggle. Probably because the actual footwear involved is kind of ridiculous to someone from northern Canada. There's only 1 day you might wear them - and by the time you figure out it's warm enough you are 100 miles from any beach.

Oh, you poor dear. I can't imagine. ? BTW, flip flop wearing isn't limited to the beach. It's appropriate footwear in most places!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

I'm over 200 miles from the closest beach and flip flops are everywhere. It's not uncommon to see people wearing them in sub-freezing temperatures in the winter, either. Which I find baffling, but . . . not my business.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Danae said:

Unless it is important to your story that your reader pictures exactly that type of shirt I would just say he changed into a clean shirt and shorts. Or a lightweight shirt and shorts. Or a blue shirt and shorts. Something to acknowledge that yes, he got dressed after the shower, without distracting your reader into wondering what a fishing shirt or a hiking shirt or a Guy Whoever shirt is. Because honestly, unless the dog is going to get his head caught in the flappy thing on the back it doesn't matter what kind of shirt it is.

I'm trying to make a point that although he is casually dressed he still looks put together, as opposed to the heroine of the story, who is self consciously dressed in faded cut off shorts and a saggy, old tank top. He showed up unexpectedly and the contrast between their clothing is what I'm going for, but can't have him too well dressed or it would be weird. 

I ended up just saying khaki shorts, lightweight button down short sleeved shirt, and boat shoes, with her thinking about how even in casual clothes he looks impeccably dressed. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TechWife said:

Oh, you poor dear. I can't imagine. ? BTW, flip flop wearing isn't limited to the beach. It's appropriate footwear in most places!

Yup. 90% of the time or more I wear flip flops. Not cheap, orthotic flip flops from Vionic that keep my plantar fasciitis at bay, but flip flops. I TRY not to wear them to church, but plenty of people do wear "dressy" flip flops to church, and guys often wear the leather ones to church. Khaki shorts, golf style polo made of wicking fabric and leather flip flops or boat shoes are practically business casual here, lol. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

Yup. 90% of the time or more I wear flip flops. Not cheap, orthotic flip flops from Vionic that keep my plantar fasciitis at bay, but flip flops. I TRY not to wear them to church, but plenty of people do wear "dressy" flip flops to church, and guys often wear the leather ones to church. Khaki shorts, golf style polo made of wicking fabric and leather flip flops or boat shoes are practically business casual here, lol. 

That just blows my mind. ?  I can't remember the last time I saw a person wearing flip flops period, beach or no beach.  I live in a different world, obviously. ?

On 5/26/2018 at 6:04 PM, ElizabethB said:

When they first came out, we were on vacation in Idaho and my husband got a few shirts and a pair of pants that zip off and can be either shorts or pants and raved about what a great material they were for months.  They are fast drying.  You might want to add the fact that they are water resistant/water proof and fast drying.  I'm not sure exactly, I've never asked, I might get another 30 minute discussion of the wonders of the shirt...

My husband also wears them when flying in a civilian plane, with matching type of pants, he calls them his new flying uniform.  (He is retired Air Force.)  And then, you get a short discussion of the wonders of the shirt and its material and how it is great for fishing, hiking, flying...

He will also go on and on about how useful it is to have that material and zip on or off pants and shorts...

And, when he is packing for a trip, he raves about how little space they take up in the suitcase but how useful they are.

Am I the only one here who has one of these shirts?  And who, dare I say it, is obsessed with them?  They are fabulous in the heat!  Specifically, those 90+ degree days.  And yes, they are lightweight, quick-dry, great for one-bag travel, and so on.  Sometimes the women's versions are marketed as travel gear, and rightfully so given their properties.  I call mine part of my "lady who works at the zoo" outfit; I wear them with a khaki-colored hiking skirt.  I've just picked up a couple more for an upcoming trip. I don't like those with pockets on the boobs, but there are versions with stealth pockets in the side seams or the princess seams, and most have that great flap in the back (which covers a mesh panel - it really does keep you cool in the heat).  (Full disclosure - I neither hike, nor fish, nor work at a zoo.  I just like practical clothes.)

On 5/26/2018 at 9:26 PM, Spy Car said:

Spoiler alert: a woman rips it off his steaming hot body  ? --Bill

Hmm, they are actually darn sturdy nylon, but sometimes they have snaps rather than buttons, so....

8 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

I'm trying to make a point that although he is casually dressed he still looks put together, as opposed to the heroine of the story, who is self consciously dressed in faded cut off shorts and a saggy, old tank top. He showed up unexpectedly and the contrast between their clothing is what I'm going for, but can't have him too well dressed or it would be weird. 

I ended up just saying khaki shorts, lightweight button down short sleeved shirt, and boat shoes, with her thinking about how even in casual clothes he looks impeccably dressed. 

I think that gets the point across nicely.  

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Kareni said:

Would you share a link, please!

Regards,
Kareni

I don't have a link to a specific one, but mine are mostly Columbia, Royal Robbins, and Magellan.  I have long-sleeve, short-sleeve, and sleeveless versions.  Long-sleeve is nice when you want sun protection; some folks wear them open over a cami as a "jacket" look.  Sleeveless is when it's hot but you don't need the sun protection.  And short-sleeve when sleeveless isn't quite appropriate but you don't want the long sleeves; it's more of a "camp" look.  Most of the long sleeve versions have tabs so you can roll up the sleeves.  The pockets aren't particularly useful because the fabric is so light that anything put into them would weigh them down in a way that would be uncomfortable and not flattering.  However, if you just want to stash a few bills and an ID, they'd be fine.  Some of mine have a "secret" zippered pocket over one boob.  I am all about secret pockets, but there's not a whole lot of "secret" when you've got something stuck under your shirt on your boob.  However, the properties of the shirt in the summer heat more than outweigh the not-useful pocket issues.  Some have pockets in more useful places, though the weight issue still applies.  Other useful features on some shirts include a tab for hanging your sunglasses on.  These are sold as "fishing" shirts but I've seen them mostly on "active older adult" types of well-dressed middle aged women who are travelling, going to outdoor festivals, doing an urban sightseeing day, and that sort of thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, justasque said:

...mine are mostly Columbia, Royal Robbins, and Magellan ....

Thanks for this and the additional information which I appreciate.  I can certainly see their usefulness when traveling and in hot weather.

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 1