Menu

What would you call this shirt?

ktgrok

In the book I'm reading the main character is wearing a shirt like this, and I don't know how to describe it, or if people are familiar with them. Fishermen wear them a lot around here, but not sure if they are popular in other contexts? He's not fishing in this scene, but is dressed in khaki shorts, a shirt like this, probably leather flip flops. Not sure if that would be weird to people that don't live in Florida, lol. (it's a hot, sunny Saturday if that matters.) Alternately, do people outside the fishing community know what a Guy Harvey t-shirt is?

thank, y'all. I am an okay writer but fashion is my nemesis. I tend to just never say what people are wearing and am trying to overcome that lest my characters run around nude all the time. 

https://www.columbia.com/bahama-ii-s-s-shirt-|-499-|-s-824646131351.html?mid=paidsearch&eid=Google+PLA+US&s_kwcid=AL!3937!3!206821708519!!!g!356442604996!&ef_id=WwnEwQAABApyXeK6:20180526203409:s

• Like 1

I’d call it a hiking shirt because that’s what ds wears on hiking trips. I’ve enver heard of a Guy Harvey t shirt, but I’m going to look it up now! 

ETA: I’d just call the Guy Harvey t shirt a t shirt if I saw it, sorry. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Do people wear leather "flip flops?"  Aren't they typically called sandals, especially for grown men? 

Yes, people wear leather flip flops! Yes, we call them flip flops, not sandals. Sandals close around the top and the back of the foot. 

• Like 2

We call them boating shirts, even though people wear them everyday in the summer around here - not just for boating. And we call them flip flops/sandals interchangeably, even if they are leather. I see a lot of people in Guy Harvey t-shirts down in southwest Florida, but not so much in the northern half of the state. Not sure how many people around here would recognize the brand.

Never heard of a Guy Harvey shirt or noticed anyone wearing that type of shirt.

Leather flip flops? People around here who wear flip flops wear the cheapo kind. Not sure I've ever noticed leather flip flops. Leather fisherman's sandals, yes. Leather sandals, yes. Flip flops are inexpensive.

Hikers and fishermen in certain parts of the country wear them, it other parts, not as common.

Hardly anyone in Texas had one, everyone in Idaho has multiple ones in multiple colors, but usually long sleeved.  Even people in Idaho who don't fish or hike have several.  I've seen a fair amount in most states, but not too many in other states.  In Idaho, a few women wear them as well.

I saw one described in a romance/suspense book recently.  She described it as something like "one of these lightweight pocketed shirts that a lot of guys who go [fishing or hiking] often wear."  I forget if it was fishing or hiking, she used the character's hobby.

You could have a female character roll her eyes and call it the uniform of [fishermen or hikers] and then describe it.

When they first came out, we were on vacation in Idaho and my husband got a few shirts and a pair of pants that zip off and can be either shorts or pants and raved about what a great material they were for months.  They are fast drying.  You might want to add the fact that they are water resistant/water proof and fast drying.  I'm not sure exactly, I've never asked, I might get another 30 minute discussion of the wonders of the shirt...

My husband also wears them when flying in a civilian plane, with matching type of pants, he calls them his new flying uniform.  (He is retired Air Force.)  And then, you get a short discussion of the wonders of the shirt and its material and how it is great for fishing, hiking, flying...

He will also go on and on about how useful it is to have that material and zip on or off pants and shorts...

And, when he is packing for a trip, he raves about how little space they take up in the suitcase but how useful they are.

• Like 7

Thank you all! 

Maybe a button down fishing shirt? 

And funny about the Guy Harvey thing, those are so popular on the coast of Florida! But it's a fine line between setting the scene and totally confusing people, so I'll definitely skip that reference in my books!

• Like 2

We call them fishing shirts around here. People wear them all the time though - not just for fishing. 

I've seen lots of leather flip-flops here in TX. The soles are whatever, but the thong parts are leather. It looks like they are softer and more comfortable than the canvas or plastic ones. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

Thank you all! 

Maybe a button down fishing shirt? 

And funny about the Guy Harvey thing, those are so popular on the coast of Florida! But it's a fine line between setting the scene and totally confusing people, so I'll definitely skip that reference in my books!

I don't know what Guy Harvey is, either.

I would go with "nylon button down fishing shirt" or "lightweight button down fishing shirt," while that particular shirt is popular in most hiking and camping and fishing areas of the country, I have seen a lot of other things worn as fishing shirts, including old army gear and regular cotton shirts that are not lightweight or fast drying.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ElizabethB said:

I don't know what Guy Harvey is, either.

I would go with "nylon button down fishing shirt" or "lightweight button down fishing shirt," while that particular shirt is popular in most hiking and camping and fishing areas of the country, I have seen a lot of other things worn as fishing shirts, including old army gear and regular cotton shirts that are not lightweight or fast drying.

ooh, lightweight button down fishing shirt is perfect, thank you!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, GailV said:

Can't wait to read the book and see this description!  How fun to know what went on behind the scenes!

For the full effect you have to know that this is being written mostly while sitting in my van, parked in the Starbucks parking lot, lol. the only way I get writing time these days is to drive until the baby falls asleep and then type like a mad woman until either she wakes up or my bladder is full ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Pawz4me said:

Leather flip flops are extremely common around here.

But for men, and while they're fishing?  I just cannot picture this at all. Sounds incredibly weird to me. For one thing, wet leather is just gross to wear with bare feet (I'm assuming socks aren't going to work with the toe thingy). And why would I risk leather footwear getting fish stink on them?  I think I must live in a different world. 

Or maybe the fishing shirt thing is just confusing me and the guy isn't actually fishing. ?

36 minutes ago, wintermom said:

But for men, and while they're fishing?  I just cannot picture this at all. Sounds incredibly weird to me. For one thing, wet leather is just gross to wear with bare feet (I'm assuming socks aren't going to work with the toe thingy). And why would I risk leather footwear getting fish stink on them?  I think I must live in a different world. 

Or maybe the fishing shirt thing is just confusing me and the guy isn't actually fishing. ?

No, he's not fishing. He went for a run on the beach, went home and showered/changed, and is now hanging out in someone's backyard with them and their dog. In coastal south florida this would be a typical outfit for a guy to just hang out in on the weekend. 

I may change it to boat shoes though.Of course, that assumes that is also a common term, lol. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Spoiler alert: a woman rips it off his steaming hot body  ?

Bill

LOL, not even close, at last not in this scene. In this scene he's about to meet a muddy but sweet golden retriever and play with the dog and a little boy ?

52 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Leather flip flops while salt water fishing are very common in NC as well.  My dad and dh wear their flip flops (olukai, rainbows, etc) on the boat or just go barefoot if they're fishing from the surf.  It's pretty standard to wear bathing suits and rainbows for fishing at the beach or intercostal waterway around here.  Totally different picture than the fishing vest and hat on a lake or river.  My dad does both ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dotwithaperiod said:

What? I can google sandal with thong and get dozens and dozens of pics. It seems like a sandal typically has an ankle strap, tho. But thong between the toe can be on either type.

Well, ok. I'm just saying that flip-flops and sandals are different kinds of shoes. But whatever.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wintermom said:

Answer to OP: A cargo shirt. Like the shirt equivalent to cargo shorts.

To you, wintermom: Yes, men, while fishing, leather flip flops. https://www.rei.com/product/100132/rainbow-sandals-premier-leather-single-layer-flip-flops-mens

People wear that or knock offs from Old Navy. Why not? You certainly don't want your better shoes to get ruined.

I live in Seattle and a synthetic shirt with pockets and flip flops would be the appropriate clothing like... 95% of the time during the summer, and about 30% of the time the rest of the year. Fishing in July? Cargo shirt, cheap Old Navy shorts and flip flops. Shopping at Fred Meyer in September? Cargo shirt, cheap Old Navy shorts and flip flops. Taking out the trash in December? Cargo shirt, cheap Old Navy shorts and flip flops. Going to a company picnic in May? Cargo shirt, cheap Old Navy shorts and flip flops. Coding in an office building 9 - 5 for the entire year? For some of the men in my office, it's cargo shirt, Old Navy shorts and flip flops all year round. Go directly to ultimate frisbee tournament after work.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, wintermom said:

Yes, for men.  I don't know about while fishing, though--that's definitely not something I'm knowledgeable about!  When I think of fishing I think of going out deep sea fishing on a charter excursion where there are paid people to do the dirty work, or surf fishing on the beach where one would kick their shoes off before getting near the water. But I really don't know much about fishing.

People go barefoot with leather shoes all the time. The classic Sperry Top-Siders leather boat/dock shoes are almost always worn with bare feet when wearing shorts. I just checked the review pictures on Amazon to make sure I was remembering my fashion "rules" right. ? (Although DS22, our fashion maven, would say it's possibly okay to wear them with socks when one has on long pants.)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, WoolC said:

Leather flip flops while salt water fishing are very common in NC as well.  My dad and dh wear their flip flops (olukai, rainbows, etc) on the boat or just go barefoot if they're fishing from the surf.  It's pretty standard to wear bathing suits and rainbows for fishing at the beach or intercostal waterway around here.  Totally different picture than the fishing vest and hat on a lake or river.  My dad does both ?

Yes, I'm in NC as well and thinking of what I see on the coast here or in other southeastern coastal areas.

• Like 1

It reminds me of the shirt worn by Jeff, the host of Survivor.  I just googled though and noticed that his shirts were long-sleeves and rolled above the elbow.  Anyways, Ithink they called it a cargo shirt and that sounds right to me, or camp shirt or hiking shirt that others have said, or shirt-sleeves solid-coloured shirt.

• Like 1

Leather flip-flops may look like these depicted on the left. (These may or may not be actual leather, but leather flip-flops would look like this.) Flip-flops are so named because they have no ankle strap and so make the “flip flop” sound as one walks and the base flaps up to the foot. 

The shoes on the right are sandals, though they have a thong strap. 

I would call the shirt a camp shirt and don’t know what a Guy Harvey shirt is. If I were reading a story that said that, I might google it if I cared about the character, or I might just mentally think, “some kind of shirt” and not have a strong sense of what the character looks like. I don’t think men’s clothing gets as much description as women’s, generally, unless they are wearing something quite specific, like a Metalica tee shirt or an Armani suit. 

F4C5B79F-BAED-4F57-8EBD-AEFE2B57C880.jpeg

Edited by Quill
Typos
  • Like 4

I’m not in FL, but I’ve seen that kind of shirt, maybe for camping or fishing. I might call it a camp shirt. 

I do know what a Guy Harvey shirt is, and I might even have one, because we’ve been to Ocracoke Island several times. I’d probably call it a t-shirt though, or if I wanted to convey a specific idea, I might say “he wore leather sandals and a Guy Harvey t-shirt.”  If I read that, I’d probably picture a t-shirt with dolphins or some other sea creature on it. 

I'm utterly fascinated by how regional clothing can be. In Florida EVERYONE would know what a Guy Harvey shirt is, and no one here knows. So crazy!!!  I had NO idea it was such a local phenomenon. 

Oh, and even my very non outdoorsy husband wears leather flip flops. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dotwithaperiod said:

What? I can google sandal with thong and get dozens and dozens of pics. It seems like a sandal typically has an ankle strap, tho. But thong between the toe can be on either type.

Yes - I agree. A sandal has a strap around the ankle and often across the top of the foot. There are no straps on flip flops, just the thong. That's why they make the "flip" and "flop" sounds while a person is walking!

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Dotwithaperiod said:

I have to really search thru his photos of himself and his products to find the type of shirt you linked, it seems like most of his shirts are T shirts with marine life. I suppose people that are into  sport fishing and the marine world recognize the name. It doesn’t surprise me a bit that he’s unknown to most of us.

My mil gives me all of her crime genre paperbacks. It seems so formulaic to describe a character with specific brand names. I really dislike it; having paragraphs informing me  the character wears Prada or drives a Tesla makes me think they’re padding pages. A couple words with a specific product named, fine. If I care enough I’ll look it up. Most likely not, tho. 

Yes!!! Now I really understand why I hated certain books I have read! One was constantly describing people’s condoes as having “Crate and Barrel” this or “Williams Sonoma” that. I understood the purpose as far as using expensive brands to indicate an economic level and/or a person’s buying profile, but I thought it would be better said as, “the sleek, white leather couch” or whatever. 

I also recently read an otherwise acceptable book that had seemingly every character driving an SUV. It irked me. 

• Like 2