Menu

Sharing an article about autism and college

Thanks for sharing this. My anxiety goes through the roof every time I think about my youngest going (or not going) to college. I plan to contact and visit the office of accessibility at the university to talk about what supports they might offer students on the spectrum. My guess is very little. I don't mind being a squeaky wheel. My 12 yr old is determined to attend the same school her dad and I graduated from and her sisters are currently attending. I'm not even sure she could score high enough on the ACT to get in. She's smart, but the combination of autism plus learning disabilities...I don't know. 

DS19 attends a large non-flagship state university. They have a support program for all students with executive function issues, which I assume would include almost all students on the spectrum. DS hasn't needed it so I can't say how well it works or how much support is actually provided. These are some of the things offered by/through the program, according to their web page:

strategic tutoring and peer mentoring

learning strategy instruction tailored to the needs of college students

drop-in assistance

quiet study rooms at Study Central

specific training to address executive function challenges

access to assistive technology

transition assistance for incoming, as well as graduating students

coordination of individualized services

Loras College, where my ds2 is going, has a great learning center and an autism specific program at the Lynch Learning Center. DS2 has SLD in Writing Expression (as well as shockingly bad handwriting) and good support for LDs was incredibly important to me when we were looking at schools. He starts in the fall and I will report back.

http://www.loras.edu/academics/academic-support/lynch-learning-center/