Menu

social stories/executive functioning/mindfulness

Hello, Our dd 15 y/o (high functioning ASD, SLD math, reading) is seeing a psychologist to help with various issues, one of them is to be independent in self care. She recommended me creating social stories for various ADLS's/self care, can anyone share what resources they use for creating these? The other huge area to work on this summer is executive functioning, what resources have people used successfully? Looking for something simple and  easy, that can be built into daily routines. The third thing this summer is to work on Mindfulness, any tips on introducing this in a way, so she is amenable to doing this without fussing? hoping she realizes its benefits and can continue this in the long run.

Thanks a bunch!

Linguisystems sells a SPARC book for daily routines. http://www.linguisystems.com/products/product/display?itemid=10183 The SocialThinking.com site and amazon will have books. Also some of it is just making them out specific to your situation. Like with ds, he has some things he does now with prompts that I really should put onto a visual routine for him to learn to do independently. That will all be custom. Sometimes I go into Pages/Word and make a file. You can take a picture of her doing the thing and drag the pic into the visual schedule. Or you can take a picture of the item. So like for ds his list might be (I really need to work on this):

-freshen bed pad

-brush feet/sensory

-taking morning vitamins

-eat breakfast

Some stuff he does pretty well already as autopilot, like he gets dressed each day. He doesn't brush his hair daily, so brushing hair could be on that list. And I could take pictures of him doing those tasks or use google image to find pictures or take pictures of the actual item. Like for his vits, they're in a special daily organizer, meaning I'd use the manufacturer pic of it or snap a pic. I'll either take a picture of his brush or use a pic of it off amazon. That kind of thing.

TeachersPayTeachers will have social stories, especially Christine Reeve's store Autism Classroom News.

I've done quite a bit with mindfulness for myself and keep looking into it for ds. It overlaps with interoception, and the challenge is whether they actually can understand and do it. I don't know where your dd functions, like on what cognitive level. My ds can do things passively, but he doesn't really seem to grasp it. I was looking at this book and thought the ideas seemed very practical. It's hitting all the right areas with a level of very practical explicitness. https://www.proedinc.com/Products/12873/selfregulation-for-kids-k12-strategies-for-calming-minds-and-behavior.aspx Obviously it's kind of overkill if your dc is at a place where they can just sit down and do a body scan and be done with it. Also the tracks for Sitting Like a Frog are available free online. Definitely read up on interoception. If your library has books by Levine, etc., they're worth reading. Some of the techniques are accessible, like the tapping for somatic awareness. One of these books (I think this one I linked?) mentions hand-washing. Christine Reeve talks about meditation on the soles of the feet. It's all trying to make it accessible.

• Like 1

PeterPan, would you recommend Mighteor for the OP? I haven't used it, but I know several people here have tried it out. Would it help EF or mindfulness? I'm just thinking for a 15 year old, something that seems like a video game might be a good tool.

Oh sorry, I'm too tired to have an opinion. It sounds like they've got a lot on their plate right now. If you're working on ADLs, then Mightier might not be the most important thing. It's good, but I agree that the op has to prioritize. ADLs are your daily living stuff, like ability to dress yourself, have basic routines.