Menu

Is it safe to leave muffin batter on the counter overnight, then bake it in the a.m.?

I just spent a ridiculously long time tonight making muffins for breakfast. This particular recipe takes longer than some because my mixer broke and I have to beat the stiff ingredients by hand. A friend always mixes up her batter the night before and leaves it out on the counter overnight so the muffins will be freshly baked first thing in the morning. I would love to do that, but I remember hearing that once eggs have been refrigerated they have to stay refrigerated to be safe. Does anyone know about the truth in this? Is it safe to use refrigerated eggs to mix up a batter, then leave it out overnight and bake it in the morning?

Now, why didn't I think of that? :) Did you have to let the batter come to room temperature before baking? Anything else special I'd need to know?

The room temperature thing might have been a good idea, but the one time I tried that, I was rushing out the door to go to work when I noticed my muffins were still sitting on the counter. So I stuck 'em back in the fridge for the next day. I'd say just give it a whirl and just leave 'em in an extra five minutes or so if necessary.

I can't *think* of anything else -- but it's been ages since I've made them, too. Good luck! :001_smile:

Don't let them warm up, refrigerate in the bowl, pop them right into the tins and bake. - They pop in much more easily, and with less mess - less drips. I've also started making double batches and freezing half of them (in cupcake papers - take them out after frozen. Those do do better letting them thaw before baking.