Menu

What's with the ads?

myblessings4

Wrinkle Help (skin/face)

5 hours ago, samba said:

What brand of roller do you use? Where did you purchase it? How often do you use it? What is your routine with it? (ie. cleanser, roller, serum?

) What improvements have you noticed? My neighbor is a Rodan/Fields rep and she is promoting the roller, which I'm interested in, but I don't really want to buy the products that go with it. 

Thanks!

I don't see a name on the roller anymore so I'm not sure about that.  I absolutely didn't want to buy the R and F one (I disagree with the MLM scheme and the price!) so I found a highly rated 0.25 mm roller on Amazon.  It should be less than 15 dollars.  I use it a few times a week and now my dd13 is using it too!  I'm really into skincare and my dd13 is getting into it too.  She's at a self-conscious age and I think that having nice skin and getting compliments from her friends has been a nice self-esteem boost.  Yes, physical beauty is not everything and just skin deep, but 13 is a tough age.  

I use a lot of Paula's Choice products so I'll give you the run down of my night time routine.

1.  Skin Recovery cleanser

2. 2% BHA liquid

3. roller all over the face and sometimes the neck.  I often forget the do the neck area

4. spot treat with BHA9

5. I've been mixing the Skin Recovery Retinol Serum and 25% Vitamin C booster .  apply

4. Mizon Snail serum

5. Mizon Snail cream in the warmer months.  Winter months I use Skin Recovery Cream

The roller seems to improve the rate at which the products work.  Before, if I had a small pimple or clogged pores it would take several days for products to clear it up.  With the roller it takes about 1-2 days.  My dd13 had a lot of small bumps under the skin recently due to a new moisturizer.  Even when she stopped using the moisturizer, the bumps remained.    I convinced her to try the roller and it literally cleared it up in 2 days.  I guess the roller is like a "meat tenderizer" for lack of a better term.  

I'm looking to get a 0.5 roller next in order to help some acne scarring.  I heard that the 1.0 roller helps with stretch marks, but idea of a 1.0 mm roller sounds painful.  ouch!

solascriptura, Thanks so much for sharing all the details. I am going to look at the products you've mentioned. My skin is not bad but I have done nothing to take care of it over the years and it's way past time to start. I'll be 50 soon and I'm seeing the effects of age and neglect; right now, mostly dry, dull skin.

Thanks again! This whole thread has been really helpful.

9 hours ago, goldberry said:

Elta MD

https://www.amazon.com/EltaMD-Physical-Broad-Spectrum-SPF-Tinted/dp/B00C8FVZZY/ref=sr_1_6_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1527790139&sr=8-6&keywords=elta+md+sunscreen&dpID=31ec-%2BHsXdL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

This one is flat out awesome.  You can get it untinted, but I love the tint.  And I am super pale so I usually can't wear anything tinted.  It's hard to explain, but the tint in this is very subtle and spreads out.  My daughter has a totally different skin tone than me, and the tinted (same color) still looks great for her.  I even like the way this works as a makeup base.  I just thought I wasn't really getting any moisturizer and hate the idea of another step.

Sounds like good stuff - thank you for the info!  I have never tried a tinted sunscreen because I’m so fair skinned that I assumed they would be too dark on me  Perhaps that one would work  

I understand what you mean about not wanting to add another product.  I do like to keep my routine simple. So with that in mind, do you really need a moisturizer?  I couldn’t quite tell from your post if your skin is dry, or if it’s more that you wonder if you “should” use a moisturizer.  

15 hours ago, samba said:

solascriptura, Thanks so much for sharing all the details. I am going to look at the products you've mentioned. My skin is not bad but I have done nothing to take care of it over the years and it's way past time to start. I'll be 50 soon and I'm seeing the effects of age and neglect; right now, mostly dry, dull skin.

Thanks again! This whole thread has been really helpful.

No problem.  I don't know how much my routines have helped because I've been practicing good skin care since I was 18 or so.  I'm 42 and don't have any wrinkles and just a few small brown spots (which I hate) so I hope my time and $ will pay off!  

My curology bottle was deliverrd today.  I'm waiting til tomorrow night to start, since I will be at the lake all day tomorrow.  I started getting into a somewhat better routine this week, washing face morning and night (I use just water a lot since I don't typically use products) and putting on my homemade sunscreen each morning.  Yesterday and today I put on makeup since I don't like the lotion feel.

I will wait a few weeks before adding in vitamin c serum or anything 

On 5/31/2018 at 11:38 PM, Greta said:

Sounds like good stuff - thank you for the info!  I have never tried a tinted sunscreen because I’m so fair skinned that I assumed they would be too dark on me  Perhaps that one would work  

I understand what you mean about not wanting to add another product.  I do like to keep my routine simple. So with that in mind, do you really need a moisturizer?  I couldn’t quite tell from your post if your skin is dry, or if it’s more that you wonder if you “should” use a moisturizer.  

I found this sunscreen this year and love it! It’s the only one I’ve ever used daily because I just like the way it feels. It’s mineral, but not thick, and very lightly tinted. I do use a tiny bit of moisturizer under it, but I could probably get away with not. It goes on nice and smooth, then dries pretty matte, so not shiny on me at all. FWIW, I also have the Elta MD mineral tinted linked above and like it too, but not quite as much. The Elta is thicker and heavier, so I prefer the Australian Gold now. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01M8G39OW/ref=mp_s_a_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1527987242&sr=8-3&keywords=australian+gold+sunscreen&dpPl=1&dpID=41wjWerf2EL&ref=plSrch

imo, it has just enough tint to mask the whiteness of mineral sunscreen, but not enough tint that actually looks like make-up, so it should work in fair complexions I would think. (I’m pretty fair)

• Like 2

On 6/2/2018 at 6:56 PM, mmasc said:

I found this sunscreen this year and love it! It’s the only one I’ve ever used daily because I just like the way it feels. It’s mineral, but not thick, and very lightly tinted. I do use a tiny bit of moisturizer under it, but I could probably get away with not. It goes on nice and smooth, then dries pretty matte, so not shiny on me at all. FWIW, I also have the Elta MD mineral tinted linked above and like it too, but not quite as much. The Elta is thicker and heavier, so I prefer the Australian Gold now. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01M8G39OW/ref=mp_s_a_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1527987242&sr=8-3&keywords=australian+gold+sunscreen&dpPl=1&dpID=41wjWerf2EL&ref=plSrch

imo, it has just enough tint to mask the whiteness of mineral sunscreen, but not enough tint that actually looks like make-up, so it should work in fair complexions I would think. (I’m pretty fair)

I actually bought this one this weekend after seeing a good review of it on YouTube!  I am trying it for the first time this morning.  I just put it on a few minutes ago, in fact.  The texture seems really nice, and the tint is subtle and works on my skin tone.  I don't think I've ever had a mineral sunscreen before that wasn't thick and sticky, but this one feels really nice!  And it was easy to find (Walgreens) and very affordable too.  We'll see how it wears under makeup all day, but I think this one may be a winner!  

• Like 1

I use this stuff. https://www.amazon.com/Alpha-Skin-Care-Fragrance-Free-Paraben-Free/dp/B01BW71W4W?th=1

My mom bought it for me when I turned 40. It’s what she uses and she’s gorgeous at 80. I use the 14% serum at night and 12% cream in the morning. It’s not horribly expensive. I think it works. People are generally shocked when they learn i’m 50.

On 5/24/2018 at 7:40 PM, SeaConquest said:

You ladies are sweet. I swear it is the Retin-A. Starting off, you want to go slow. This article gives a helpful primer:

https://beautyeditor.ca/2013/02/06/how-to-use-retin-a-and-not-turn-your-face-into-a-red-flaky-peely-mess

I got interested in this topic based on this thread, but then found this article from the same gal who wrote the above. She quit using Retin-A for the reasons listed in the following article. She uses glycolics now.  [-->  https://beautyeditor.ca/2016/07/21/retin-a-toxic]

I'm often complemented on my facial skin, and I don't use anything but a good moisturizer. I use the cucumber aloe intensive cream from St. John Monastery. I also "exfoliate" by rubbing my rough-ish towel over my face after taking a shower. I'm going to look in to some probably gentler ways to exfoliate. 

IPL (intense pulse light) works well on AGE SPOTS. It's fast, 30 mins or less. It seems pricey but it can take months-years to fade them with skin care products.  So cost wise, I am not sure it's that bad.  You can zap them off then just maintain your skin. Newer (Lumecca is one) machines can get rid of the majority in 1-2 sessions, cutting the cost of IPL down.  

IPL can help some other things too, but it almost seems miraculous on age spots. 

27 minutes ago, milovany said:

I got interested in this topic based on this thread, but then found this article from the same gal who wrote the above. She quit using Retin-A for the reasons listed in the following article. She uses glycolics now.  [-->  https://beautyeditor.ca/2016/07/21/retin-a-toxic]

I'm often complemented on my facial skin, and I don't use anything but a good moisturizer. I use the cucumber aloe intensive cream from St. John Monastery. I also "exfoliate" by rubbing my rough-ish towel over my face after taking a shower. I'm going to look in to some probably gentler ways to exfoliate. 

A gentler way to exfoliate might be a store brand (CVS or Walgreens) Foreo exfoliator. The store brand ones are around $20 and are really easy to keep clean, unlike Clarisonic style brush exfoliators. 

1 hour ago, PinkyandtheBrains. said:

A gentler way to exfoliate might be a store brand (CVS or Walgreens) Foreo exfoliator. The store brand ones are around $20 and are really easy to keep clean, unlike Clarisonic style brush exfoliators. 

Thanks for the recommendation and I'll keep it in mind for the future.  I just ordered Platinum Skin Care's Lactic Acid Anti-Aging Skin Toner and Tru-Skin Naturals Vitamin C serum.  ?

• Like 1